• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Video: A Bit More

Reaction score
I hope this helps people deal with their canoe-ache. Put this together from extra footage I had.

It's very relaxing to just watch and listen... no music and the natural sounds take over. Bird songs, running water, waves, paddle strokes... these sounds add a lot to the visuals and I found them to be just as interesting as the views from the canoe.

Satisfying...and surprising; as discovering that one of the best meals you had ever eaten was made from leftovers. No one cooks up better vids than you. Thanks.

Much of this video looks like a typical Iowa Prairie stream, except for the beaver dams. The farmers don't appreciate them here.
Mink sightings, are very rare, and you have to be quick to get them. I treasure every mink sighting I've had !
Nice video !
Thanks for sharing!

Jim

@frozentripper: I agree. Some of the scenes had great bird sounds and shaky or uninteresting visuals. This was a good platform to showcase those clips. If I could capture better sound most of my videos would present that aspect and feature far less and quieter freebie music. There's nothing quite like the songs of the white throated sparrow and chickadee, and howl of a coyote in the morning, the crow, goose and seagull in the afternoon, and the loon and beaver tail splash in the late evening. Thanks for watching!

@Doc.: That is a really nice thing to say about this video. Thank you for the very generous compliment!

@jatfomike: Thanks for watching!

@Jim Dodd: That's the first time I saw a mink. quite a curious little guy. I sat still for five minutes there watching it run around trying to figure out what I was. It ran back and forth there a few times then took off to the right for good. It was just luck that the camera was on. I was focusing on the dam. Thanks for watching!

GRS...

If I could capture better sound most of my videos would present that aspect...

There might be some discussion on this at freesound.org ... there is a recording community there with forums on how to record sounds outdoors effectively and collections of various recordings made. The website seems to have some server problems at the moment.

Some of the youtube vids recorded in the outdoors with GoPros are getting comments on sound quality, eg. needs an external mike... some of this might be to reduce wind noise but I'm no expert on the matter, or on what gear is needed to get good recordings.

Some of the most pleasant and relaxing sounds while canoeing are waves splashing on rocky shores and wind in trees. I have shorelines picked out where I could get some vids recorded together with the sounds and with any luck I'll find the time to be there.

Anyway, looking forward to this year's productions, good luck!

Back