• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Vehicle vandalism while in the wilderness

I can think of a few friends who suffered vehicle break-ins in the UP of Michigan but I have never had any trouble and I have been taking trips there since 1970. On Canadian trips we always arrange to leave our vehicle with an outfitter, resort, etc.

I have never had a problem but every trip it’s in the back of my mind. Last year I left my truck in a small First Nations group of cottages for 8 days in northern Quebec. The community was neat and tidy, which eased my mind. There was no one there when I put in, but during the week I was out someone had been there, thankfully, no issues at all.
I have found the people here in Maine very trustworthy, I see people leave all sorts of gear out in the open while out fishing or hunting, no one seems worried. Then again, a lot of folks carry in Maine.

Pre-pandemic, I never gave this a thought, dismissed the possibility entirely. But reading more recent reports, I'm rethinking.

In Canada, we are reduced to pointing a banana at the culprit, and hope they have a banana allergy, or are prone to slipping.
Never point your loaded banana at thievin', perpin' killa!
You never know when Darwin's way reverts man to ga-rillah!
But worse s'pose that wildebeest you point out with a Glock,
should silver bulletless you be and they're Lon Chaney/Brams Stoked-up lot!

Certain towns in California are known for it, like Redding. I blame the large amount of drugs around.
I left my truck and trailer some years ago at Lake Shasta for a 4 day trip. Out of state plates are like an advertisement for we will be gone overnight. When I returned, the window was smashed. I lost some stuff. For the last 60 years I felt safer with my wallet in the truck than in a canoe. Now I leave nothing behind. For running the Sacramento River now any vehicles left at the put in or take out need to be watched. I will pay to leave vehicles at a fish camp or camp ground.

I've parked my vehicle in many remote locations in the US and Canada. Most of the time it was left unlocked and sometimes even the keys left in it. Never a problem. I always figured anyone else that was in the same remote locations would be there for reasons other than robbing cars.

Then I left my vehicle unattended on a 43 day canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan and came back to a broken window and stolen passport.

My biggest regret was that I locked the vehicle. It certainly didn't deter them and left me with one more problem.

While this place was certainly well of the beaten path it was still in a frequented location as there was a settlement on the other side of the lake that was only accessible by water and this was where people left their vehicles. I spoke with law enforcement and they said substance abuse was very high in the local population and that theft was extremely common.

Alan

I've parked my vehicle in many remote locations in the US and Canada. Most of the time it was left unlocked and sometimes even the keys left in it. Never a problem. I always figured anyone else that was in the same remote locations would be there for reasons other than robbing cars.

Then I left my vehicle unattended on a 43 day canoe trip in northern Saskatchewan and came back to a broken window and stolen passport.

My biggest regret was that I locked the vehicle. It certainly didn't deter them and left me with one more problem.

While this place was certainly well of the beaten path it was still in a frequented location as there was a settlement on the other side of the lake that was only accessible by water and this was where people left their vehicles. I spoke with law enforcement and they said substance abuse was very high in the local population and that theft was extremely common.

Alan
I was waiting for you to respond, as I remember the story.

I often leave my vehicle here locally, without a problem.

It's when I travel. Never worried much about an older vehicle, but I sure do my newer Tacoma !

I would hate to catch someone in the act of vandalism ! My true nature would be revealed !

I had a catalytic converter removed while parked for a weekend at the Priest trailhead, off the AT in Virginia (south of Charlottesville). Never had any trouble in the Adirondacks, but I have been driving an old Camry or my brother's old, rusty Chevy pickup. New truck/new car now, not sure how that will impact things. Next time I'm up in the Dacks, if my wife comes with me (she enjoys lake life in town... i do not), I will try to get her to drop me off and pick me up.

I have a hand written note that I leave on my dash if I'm in an area I'm not sure about ... "Mike, I got here early, went for a quick walk and will be back soon"

Not sure if it helps but I figured it can't hurt.

The note certainly can't hurt.

When I wander up Mem's way this summer, I'm considering leaving a full 5 gal gas can my the rear tire with a note saying "The trucks about out of gas but here's 5 gallons. If you're feeling generous, please leave me enough to get to a station"

In my previous post I forgot to mention one thing I started doing when leaving a vehicle unattended was to disconnect the battery. So just in case I forgot to shut something off the battery won't go dead and if someone breaks in and leaves a door ajar I at least won't come back to a dead battery.

Alan

When I wander up Mem's way this summer, I'm considering leaving a full 5 gal gas can my the rear tire with a note saying "The trucks about out of gas but here's 5 gallons. If you're feeling generous, please leave me enough to get to a station"

Yeah, but what happens when the second drug addict in Geralton sees your truck.

On my first van in the 1980s-1990s I had some sort of national police organization sticker I had gotten from somewhere. I also had a sticker claiming the van was protected by some fancy security system, which it wasn't. A friend offered to affix four old security cameras at each corner of my roof—all non-functional—but I thought they would interfere with loading canoes, plus it would look sort of dopey in civilization.

Yeah, but what happens when the second drug addict in Geralton sees your truck.
Maybe the first group will be so happy with the petrol sacrifice that I offered that they'll issue an immunity order among their brethren? Maybe the second group will only take 1/2 of the gas (like the first did) and I'll have 1 1/4 gallons left for me (or a 3rd group)? Maybe I'd better bring a backup tank & hide 5 gallons in the bushes (away from my keys, of course)? Maybe I'd just better ask for Mem's cell # before I leave... Seems likely to be susceptible to bribery if I offer spam &/or promise beer... 🤷‍♂️

The note certainly can't hurt.

When they broke into my car they also stole the 5 gallons that was strapped to my roof rack. It was a little touch and go whether I'd make it the 150 miles back to a gas station (there was a closer location but I was driving through the night and they were closed).

The fuel did not seem to appease them but, then again, I didn't leave a note. Maybe that would have done the trick. :)

Alan

Back