• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Varnish

Reaction score
Been doing some research on types and brands of varnish for coating my strip/epoxy canoe as I am coming to that point . I do have some experience with many types of finishes on wood, but am looking for suggestions of good quality varnish that you have had some success with. Thoughts?

A lot of them seem to say "not for below water line" What does that mean?
High Abrasion resistance? Clarity of finish? Easy to work with?

Much appreciated folks!

The "below the water line" rating pertains to craft that stay in the water. Irrelevant for our purposes.

I'm no where near an expert !!!

Most don't get concerned about the "Below the Waterline" thing. That's for boats that stay in the water all the time. Canoes and kayaks don't normally fall in that category.
I haven't found any "High Abrasion resistance" varnish, If you find some, let us know !
I always get High Gloss. I've been told they resist UV better. They all dull in a short time.

I've used Epifhanes, and like it.

Z-Spars, Flagship is good.

You may get all kinds of recommendations on others. Including Automotive Clear Coat.

Jim

I have heard the praises of Epifanes. It seems to be the go to for this type of thing.

Thanks also for the clarification of the "below the water line" statement. It seems kinda confusing to make a statement like that when the primary use is for boats though.

Thanks everyone! Keep them coming if you have anymore.

I've been varnishing boats for thirty years and use either Epifanes or Interlux Schooner #96 varnish. The Schooner is my go to but I have some customers that prefer Epifanes. One strip boat sits out in the direct sun and whatever weather comes along from Memorial Day thru the end of October it gets a fresh coat in the spring its 15 years old this year and still looks great, no epoxy breakdown.
Jim

Don't let the hype fool you. Epifanes is over 50 bucks a litre. I have found it to be inferior to my 20 dollar Hellsman marine varnish that I get from the local Hardware store, and Mike's study tends to support it's longevity. Hellsman's has been the only varnish I have used on over 20 strippers.

Helmsman and Flagship have lots of UV protection and are good for the price. Epifanes is probably superior if you want to spend the money.

Don't let the hype fool you. Epifanes is over 50 bucks a litre. I have found it to be inferior to my 20 dollar Hellsman marine varnish that I get from the local Hardware store, and Mike's study tends to support it's longevity. Hellsman's has been the only varnish I have used on over 20 strippers.

I still use varnish for some things where I want to apply multiple coats with a thinning schedule for a better finish. The Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane tends to sag and drip a bit, even if I tip it out while still wet.

But I use the Helmsman for a lot of things.

This varnish study seems to support my more rudimentary test.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_9/features/exterior_wood_10576-1.html

The Helmsman Polyurethane Varnish (which is all we can get here of it) I used on Red's Tremblay appeared to look like plastic and it scuffed really easy, which I didn't like at all. Red can let us know how it wears for him this season. The latest Tremblay has Helmsman for the first two coats and Epifanes as the final coat.

West Marine has the Epifanes Varnish on sale for 29.99 for a liter. That's 15 bucks off, and free shipping if I buy 2 of them. Sounds reasonable to me now that I went to my local hardware store and found out that the Helmsman is 24 bucks for a liter.

From my recent reading, I think I may end up getting the Epifanes. I'm gonna sleep on it and make the decision in the morning, cause i have to get this done.

One thing that i notice between the Helmsman, and Epifanes, is that after the can have been open, the Helmsman will remain the same consistency even after a long time on the shelf, where the Epifanes will thicken to a point I can't use it any more.... I don't know the why.... An other thing that I found is that Epifanes when thinned and left in a seal jar will get really dark after a wile on the shelf(I have a basement shop so no contact with the sun in there:()
And don't know the reason for that either.... Some one have an idea??

One thing that i notice between the Helmsman, and Epifanes, is that after the can have been open, the Helmsman will remain the same consistency even after a long time on the shelf, where the Epifanes will thicken to a point I can't use it any more.... I don't know the why.... Some one have an idea??

The lower the amount of vanish in the can the more air/oxygen. There are commercial gas products that can be sprayed into a can of varnish to displace the air.

I’ve never tried those, but I have taken to displacing the air with propane gas from my shop torch. That seems to help, and the half used cans haven’t spontaneously exploded so far. I think it also helps to decant a sufficient amount of varnish for the job at hand and the immediately close the lid, so the can isn’t open and exposed for a half hour while I work.

I don’t know why open cans of Helmsman last better, but I squirt a little propane in those cans as well.

I do know that when I was in furniture production and we had a finish to spray, we would transfer what ever was left in the original can into the smallest possible can so as to minimize oxygen that will end up "setting" whats left.

I do this with regular paints as well. I'm sure that the Helmsman vs the Epifanes difference is just about the formula they use.

All I've used is Helmsan spar and the one negative thing I'll say about it is that it takes forever for that stuff to stop stinking!

My canoe was raffled over two months after I'd completed it and when I went the Elk's lodge that night for the banquet I could smell the Helmsman as soon as I walked through the door.

Alan

I try to avoid the word urethane at all costs. The mere mention of the word varnish conjures up images of my boyhood spent on Chesapeake Bay. Dad was in the Navy and the brightwork never looked anything but bristol on the old Chriscraft crusier. Old habits are hard to change.

I do know that when I was in furniture production and we had a finish to spray, we would transfer what ever was left in the original can into the smallest possible can so as to minimize oxygen that will end up "setting" whats left.

I have searched for a local vendor of virgin 8oz cans to decant stuff that I buy I quart cans when I get to the halfway point to no avail. I’ve found new/empty quart cans for sale, but never pint cans.

I could probably order then from somewhere, but I make do by cleaning out my empty pint cans and repurposing them.

All I've used is Helmsan spar and the one negative thing I'll say about it is that it takes forever for that stuff to stop stinking!

My canoe was raffled over two months after I'd completed it and when I went the Elk's lodge that night for the banquet I could smell the Helmsman as soon as I walked through the door.

True that. We epoxied and Helmsman urethaned a friend’s boat in my shop a few weeks ago, and even with the exhaust fan on and doors open the urethane odor has only just disappeared.

Alan

Just curious if you used a Non-Blush resin ? Jim

I was told once to displace the oxygen in a paint can, to use a small Propane torch (UNLIT) and blow propane into the can, and quickly replace the lid. Has anyone tried this ?

Jim

Back