• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Vagabond vs Sojourn?

Here I am, doing what I said I would never do. Voice an opinion on a canoe, or two, I don't have any direct experience with. So much for my authority. ;)

But what the heck...just by comparing specs, the Wenonah might be a little more responsive, as it is a tad shorter and has a little more rocker. The Vagabond is advertised for smaller rivers and streams. Seems that sticking airbags in the Vagabond is a lot like putting racing stripes on a minivan. My Rendezvous is marginal for WW2, let alone anything above. The Vagabond being a smaller boat with less depth and rocker, I'd be pretty selective with the streams I'd take it on. That said, by the time you get to WW1 or less, your Sojourn does probably just fine. Overall I would think the Sojourn might track a smidge better, and the Vagabond is a hair more responsive. Both seem too small for extended trips, and the differences are likely not significant to matter for day trips. To be certain, you should buy it though and let us know what you think. :)

Last edited:
One year at a canoe event I tried a Vagabond and was incredibly bored.. But it was manuevarable and generally slow.. It is a short boat because of all that overhang does nothing for waterline length

I haven't paddled a Sojourn but it seems more of a straight tracker from what I read..And a keeper.. never get rid of it. This is what I read,, https://forums.paddling.com/discussi...dagger-sojourn

I am the Dagger un authority

but with all the gear that comes with the Vagabond it to me is worth a look

Hmmm. An inch wider and 6" shorter waterline. Doesn't sound like something I need after all.

Yeah, Kim, you're right - the Sojourn's a keeper.

One year at a canoe event I tried a Vagabond and was incredibly bored.. But it was manuevarable and generally slow.. It is a short boat because of all that overhang does nothing for waterline length

I have never paddled a Sojourn, but we had a Vagabond for a while and a friend still paddles it.

Wenonah billed the Vagabond in part as “A great choice for a first solo canoe”, and for a novice solo paddler who wants a reassuring canoe for easy waters it is just that.

I agree with YC, the Vagabond felt bland; steady and moderately maneuverable, not fast but not a complete pig either, just not particularly interesting or exciting. Not a bad thing for a first solo.

The Vagabond is speced at 14’ 6” (the Sojourn at 14’ 9”), but the Vagabond has considerable layout at bow and stern while the Sojourn has far less. The actual waterline length of the Vagabond is probably closer to 13’ 6”

The Vagabond is speced with 1 ¼” of symmetrical rocker (the Sojourn with ½” in the bow and none in the stern) but the rocker in the Vagabond, at least on the RX version, must be within the first few inches of the stems. There is no manufacturer’s standard for measuring rocker.

For a lightweight solo paddler looking to paddle sub class 1 rivers or lilydip swamps and marshes the Vagabond is a good solution as a first solo and that is how our ex-Vagabond is used to this day.

On the other hand, that Vagabond looks to be in very good condition, and the two float bags, multiple D-rings, kneeling pads and Yakima stuff is worth a few bucks as well.

The paddles, meh. The double blade appears to be an old school ww stick, I think an Ainsworth. We have one nearly identical to it, down to the aluminum shaft and black/blue plastic blades. Ours is a one piece fixed offset 203cm. The one with the Vagabond may have a ferrule, but it still looks mighty short for anything except a WW kayak.

Still, if that Vagabond was within a couple hours drive of my house I’d go pay the asking price*. It’s an RX solo canoe that would fit family or loaner use, and the accessories are value added.

*If a used canoe is within $100 of what I think fair and I want the boat I tell the seller exactly that, and say I’m not even going to dicker as I get the cash out. As often as not the seller has said “Hey, do you want this. . . . . and this?” thrown in other last minute gear & accessories.

Last edited:
I wrote a fairly extensive write up on the Sojourn on paddling.net. I haven't changed my opinion about that canoe, and I still own mine. Mine has wood trim; nicely done. Fast & pretty, and often a "handfull" for a rookie to keep upright. Great photo op boat..........watching rookie paddlers give it a go............

I previously owned a Vagabond; it belongs to my wife now. She no longer paddles it; prefers her Mohawk Solo 13.
The Vagabond, in my opinion, is a good starter boat for someone with minimal skills on moving water, but beyond low level class II; you're be wise to have it fully bagged, have a bailer, and expect to get wet, and spend some time pulling over to shore to empty it out. On calm waters it is very predictable. It has decent manuverablity, but it will certainly not turn on a dime & give you change. It will carry a decent load of paddler & gear, but the more gear you carry, the more sluggish the boat becomes. It has above average stability. I know several other paddlers who own Vagabonds, and have been paddling them for years.

I personally prefer a more responsive canoe with more rocker. I'm 6'4" and weigh 200 lbs.
Not a boat I'd consider for a lengthy, unsupported trip.

At 6 hundred dollars, I think the asking price is a good one. Especially since the buyer is throwing in, in excess of 200 dollars worth of airbags, and paddles.
The bags alone would probably set you back 125 bucks. Use the paddles as spares, or loaners.............
If you got the Vagabond for 500, I'd say you "got a steal of a deal"

Of course I'd want to check the bow/stern and hull for damage...........

Joker

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Thanks, Joker.

Yeah, I figured the price was right for what's there. That's what got my attention, not knowing the boat. I'm giving it a pass, since I have the Sojourn and the Guide. Bags and paddles, I have plenty. Someone else who needs it more than I will get a good deal.

Back