• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Things that interfere with or otherwise screw up canoe trips

We chose an easier river and still were overwhelmed. We pulled off early. Too dangerous.

Encountered something now that just ruined my whole season.

I was weightlifting. Bench pressing more specifically, wasn’t even an outrageous weight. Did this weight 2 times prior in last week.

This time I hear a ‘crunch’ and my arm completely gave out. Turns out I tore a tendon clean off my rotator cuff and will need surgery and months of recovery time.

I’m hoping I might be able to sneak in a late fall trip in the most optimistic scenario. But I’ve resigned myself that my canoe will not likely see water this year.

Encountered something now that just ruined my whole season.

I was weightlifting. Bench pressing more specifically, wasn’t even an outrageous weight. Did this weight 2 times prior in last week.

This time I hear a ‘crunch’ and my arm completely gave out. Turns out I tore a tendon clean off my rotator cuff and will need surgery and months of recovery time.

I’m hoping I might be able to sneak in a late fall trip in the most optimistic scenario. But I’ve resigned myself that my canoe will not likely see water this year.
That is a rough bit of luck. Hang in there, do your post surgery therapy, don't overdo it and heal up well. The water will still be waiting for you no matter how long it takes.
As someone who has worked through a ripped ligament with over a year's recovery time, I know how tempting it is to try to push the recovery. I kept in mind that a setback would keep me off the water (and other fun things) longer so I did as ordered, even took a bit of extra time, healed up 100 percent and have paddled these 23 years since healing from that accident. It will be hard not doing the things you want for the next little while but the reward at the end of the wait will make it all worth it.
Good luck on this "slower" bit of your life and keep your mind on the goal: That next trip will be waiting for you!

Weather that is not beach weather. Will always cause someone to back out last minute leaving you with an odd numbers. There is always that one person in the group that is solar powered, who's level of fun that is possible to be had is directly correlated with how warm and sandy the campsite will be.

I can deal with a lot of rain, desert heat, insects, high winds over 50, etc. The biggest challenges related to Nature have been high flows. I have camped next to a river for a couple days waiting for it to go down. I have changed plans to find easier rivers. We can deal with these issues because they are no one's fault.

Bad crew members are a different story and I have run out of patience for those.

Fire bans can be an inconvenience especially if you're used to cooking over wood fire. With that in mind I purchased a fuel stove this month.
Round about the same time heavy rains swept in, doused some forest fires, resulting in the bans being lifted. Well I'd call that a win so far.

Back