• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

VA Paddler

Reaction score
I joined last spring and haven't put an intro up here yet. I live in Virginia, but I'm from New Hampshire and plan on moving back to NH/ME down the road. Was introduced to whitewater paddling when I was young. Back in the early 80's when you had to find some experienced old paddling sage and convince them to show you the way. Many hypothermic days later, here I am and find that canoe tripping has taken the strongest lead of all my sought after outdoor endeavors. Canoe trips are the only trips that I'm sad to end. Almost every other type of trip makes me long to get home after a few weeks, but with paddling I feel like I'm home the entire time. I'm an ACA whitewater solo and tandem canoe Instructor (expired now, but I'd like to get it current again). I have canoes and WW kayaks spread all over New England with friends and family. In VA I have my old 15' Blue Hole Canoe for exploring and learning the local VA rivers and getting my kids started on reading water. In New England I keep my severely beat up old 15' White royalex canoe (best $80 I've every spent), A craigslist no name 18' custom fiberglass modeled after a classic guide model (so heavy it doesn't go on any trip with a portage), and a 16' Wood Canvas OTC. I have a paddle making problem and I'm constantly carving paddles to find that perfect wood, flex and blade combination. I am completely biased towards paddling in Maine since it's where I have the most history in the water from my youth, but I love seeing the variety of paddling from different areas of the country that the site represents.

Chingatchgook said:

"I am completely biased towards paddling in Maine"

Welcome, Maine is a great place for open canoes, lots of different choices for a canoe tripper. I agree this site has a nice cross section of North American opportunity's, it's interesting to see where others get to float their canoes and check out the gear they use.

Back