• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Upper Jacks Fork, MO (Video)

Reaction score
Floated the Jacks Fork from the Prongs to Alley Spring for Memorial Day weekend. Gauges were running good all the way up and there's significant flood damage the whole way. Here's a video of some skinny parts of the upper section. I did some practice up hill poling too since that's my weakest poling skill so far. Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/lefZN4UF3j8

you got good balance! And under the Limbo Trees.. I like the poling backward! And great rootwad avoidance1

you got good balance! And under the Limbo Trees.. I like the poling backward! And great rootwad avoidance1

Thanks yellowcanoe. I did some backwards poling a few weeks ago on the Buffalo over two pinned canoes. Everbody thought I was showing off, but really I just F'd up. I've always had pretty good balance, but lately I've been using one of the physical therapy wobble boards. It really does help to train your balance. Highly recommend.

Thanks for the video, Ben. I like the upper Jacks Fork almost as much as the upper Buffalo, and it is seldom as crowded. I wish I had the opportunity to paddle it more often. If the water is up at the time of the Spring Ozark Rendezvous, some of us may try to get a run in at least from the Prongs to Buck Hollow. It does look as if there is a fair bit of wood right at present.

pblanc I would definitely be up to do the Jacks Fork again during the rendezvous. It's definitely runnable right now. There's a lot of trees down, but only one across the whole river and that was below Bay Creek. It looks worse than it is in the video since I was taking all the narrow channels. There was usually a much clearer route except for the part where I went backwards. That was right after the Prongs put in.

Speaking of the rendezvous, I came around the bend bellow Buck Hollow and lo and behold Rob and Pam were hanging out on a gravel bar! Small world. It was nice to have some company for part of my trip. I'll put up a video of our group trip later on this week.

Oh I would have been doing a lot of gunnel diving ! Seemed like you stayed pretty dry !

Jim

pblanc I would definitely be up to do the Jacks Fork again during the rendezvous. It's definitely runnable right now. There's a lot of trees down, but only one across the whole river and that was below Bay Creek. It looks worse than it is in the video since I was taking all the narrow channels. There was usually a much clearer route except for the part where I went backwards. That was right after the Prongs put in.

Speaking of the rendezvous, I came around the bend bellow Buck Hollow and lo and behold Rob and Pam were hanging out on a gravel bar! Small world. It was nice to have some company for part of my trip. I'll put up a video of our group trip later on this week.
Since the Vous in the fall is at Pulltite.. maybe.. its possible. Rob and Pam ought to be there.. She with the "whine time" shirt for High Tea!

Since the Vous in the fall is at Pulltite.. maybe.. its possible. Rob and Pam ought to be there.. She with the "whine time" shirt for High Tea!

I was a rendezvous newbie this year. I have yet to pick up on all the inside jokes. What a great time though. I'm hooked and will be at as many future events as I can.

No gimbal. That's what everybody thinks. I use a manfrotto super clamp with an Eken V8s camera. It's a go pro knockoff. We call them no pros. The V8s has really good native image stabilization. It reduces the field of view somewhat and then uses that extra space to "roll" like it does. I think it picks up a fixed object in the background and uses that as a baseline. Now for the bad news. I have another older Eken that I've been happy with, but this new V8s locks up all the time so you have to take the battery out to reset it. The seal on the case isn't the best. I got a little condensation. And, the sound crapped out after about ten minutes of shooting video and now all the video is accompanied by a horrible electronic whining sound.

Last edited:
No Title

Sideways picture. Deal with it. Uploading from the phone is a pita.

Attachments

• photo7109.jpg
    photo7109.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 0
Back