• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Upgraded After First Trip

Reaction score
So after getting lots of useful info here, some may recall that I ended purchasing an expedition layup Swift Keewaydin 15 with cherry trim. I was very happy with how the canoe paddled and performed in the water, but the thought of the extra pounds from the expedition layup and the maintenance the wood needed kept nagging at me. So I spoke with Swift and took advantage of their "guaranteed fit" to upgrade to the carbon fiber version of the Keewaydin 15. Carbon fiber is what I wanted when I first went shopping, but the other canoe was ready to go and my wife likes wood trim, so I went with it but was never 100% happy with my decision.

Pics of the new canoe:
IMG_3388.jpg
DSC01214.jpg

I did a three-day trip in Algonquin starting just an hour after I picked up the canoe (posted a link to the video in the Media forum). I've also since paddled a number of local lakes and just couldn't be happier with the new canoe. Granted, it's my first and I have very little experience with any other boats, but I had a variety of conditions including some fairly stiff winds and waves, and the boat always met or exceeded my expectations.

Jim

Nice BOAT! But I'm a bit prejudiced I have 15 Kee in Basalt Innegra.

Champagne bottom, trying to hid the scratches?

A very nice Kee15! (I might be a bit biased too) Great video too! Just a hint but the canoe is light enough to blow away in a stiff breeze. You may want to get in the habit of tying off to something at the end of the day when the gear is out. You are really going to like the zero maintenance part of a complete CF canoe! Enjoy the new ride

Champagne bottom, trying to hid the scratches?

Exactly. The guy at the store said Algonquin Outfitters started out with carbon fiber and no bottom coating and the boats looked so bad so quickly that now all their rental boats have a bottom coat.

I'm glad I took his advice. Gel coat scratches are a fairly easy thing to repair (once they get bad enough ;) ).

... Just a hint but the canoe is light enough to blow away in a stiff breeze. You may want to get in the habit of tying off to something at the end of the day when the gear is out...
Never even occurred to me and I even have some cord I could have used! Glad the winds died down each evening!! :eek:

Congrats! That is a beautiful boat! I got to see one up close for the first time last March at Canoecopia in Madiso, WI....I hAve been lusting for one since....

Mike

Last edited:
Congrats...Sweet Boat.. I'm picking up a my new 15 in the Carbon Fiber Textreme with CK trim. this wednesday. And yup, the champagne bottom.
Happy paddling

Nice canoe-enjoy. Good advice on wind and an ultralite canoe. 3-bad experiences. #1-One of a fellow paddler who had his brand new canoe blow off the top of his car on a paved lot after he in fastened it an went to talk to someone else. Always have something securing your boat until you lift it on and re secure as soon as you rack it- I use a small bungee ball on the center thwart.. #2-helped a couple chase down an ultra lite tandem on Stillwater reservoir that they had just unloaded at a campsite. #3-- When loading my ultralite canoe for a late fall trip and making trips to the car, I returned to the shore to see my canoe drifting off into the lake. I immediately stripped and swam out to get it-boy that water was cold! Lite boats sure are great though. Think of them like a horse-always tie them up after dismounting or they will run away.

Nice canoe-enjoy. Good advice on wind and an ultralite canoe. 3-bad experiences. #1-One of a fellow paddler who had his brand new canoe blow off the top of his car on a paved lot after he in fastened it an went to talk to someone else. Always have something securing your boat until you lift it on and re secure as soon as you rack it- I use a small bungee ball on the center thwart.. #2-helped a couple chase down an ultra lite tandem on Stillwater reservoir that they had just unloaded at a campsite. #3-- When loading my ultralite canoe for a late fall trip and making trips to the car, I returned to the shore to see my canoe drifting off into the lake. I immediately stripped and swam out to get it-boy that water was cold! Lite boats sure are great though. Think of them like a horse-always tie them up after dismounting or they will run away.

Thank You for the good reminder/advice on wind when loading/unloading/ etc. Something new to me for sure seeing my Valley Kayak weighs upwards of near 60#. Note to self... "ALWAYS make sure Boat is secured!!"

K

Exactly. The guy at the store said Algonquin Outfitters started out with carbon fiber and no bottom coating and the boats looked so bad so quickly that now all their rental boats have a bottom coat.

I'm glad I took his advice. Gel coat scratches are a fairly easy thing to repair (once they get bad enough ;) ).

I went with the Lime Green on my Carbon Prospector, scratches don't bother me and most people only see the above waterline.
View attachment X06MDKWBb8fOmXfZUZiAjxzroQtoNHndDinmddtdJLR4xhsboO-a2Q5YFecRB24Nulr_PRHjC5DePC3RAI_Y_iKODI9jOkaiIf0J

Oooohhhh you need to get some good long ropes (25ft) for the bow and stern so you can get in the habit of tying off any time you are out of the boat. At least one anyway. And tie both ends off at nght. At 60 lbs mine is not much of a blow away in the wind kind of boat but I dont take any chances. Neither should you.

I am liking the sound of this two carries kind of deal. I need to get a lighter canoe.

Christy

Back