• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Update update

I always appreciate all the support the members give, very humbling. If you look at the bottom of the home page under whats going on it shows something like 95 users on line, 18 members, 75 guests. I probably should know this, but I think those 75 guests are playing heck with our usage quota. I would like to get back to a smaller monthly hosting fee, it was $14 but had to be increased to $85 a month because we kept going over quota. I really think having so many hits by guests creates unnecessary traffic.

On another note, we where coming up on 960 members last week and I was thinking about some sort of event to celebrate 1000 members. Then some issues got me all turned around, so I said Fudge it, I deleted anyone who hadn't logged in in 3 years, something like 200 members. Some big names too, but they had their chance, and it makes me feel good. 770 members now.

To keep the site secure, I take the time to vet each new member, as most everyone here knows. Of the last 21 new members, only 1 has posted. Many never even log in again. This makes me believe that if I cut off the google searches the site will pretty much remain the same. I think the only ones who be effected is canoe manufacturers to a small degree. Since they don't make Chestnut Chums anymore, I'm not too concerned (small shot at humor)

​​​​​​​

What started as a low maintenance get together has grown into a higher maintenance gathering. Just like a party, you can add bangles and jangly decor to make it a real attraction, but some people will show up regardless without all those doodads, just for the camaraderie and conversation. Okay, maybe for the beer too. (You know who you are. Ha.)
Anyway, my point is I came for the canoe tripping focus, have been schooled on that and other topics, and keep coming back for that, and the camaraderie and conversation. (And I'm still looking for that beer.) I'm guessing these are internet forum growing pains. Life can be a B. I wish I could do more than just sit here and cheer Robin, but IMO this gathering has only gotten better and better. A few bumps in the road yes, but you're givin' er. I appreciate that.

If you look at the bottom of the home page under whats going on it shows something like 95 users on line, 18 members, 75 guests. I probably should know this, but I think those 75 guests are playing heck with our usage quota.

I don't log in until I have something to add. I guess that would make me a guest most of the time.

Not aware of any of the behind the scenes operation of a site like this, but am willing to do whatever I can to assist, whether it be financial or other, as I truly have enjoyed being here!!!!
It is a rare day that I don't read through all of the new posts. Hopefully soon I will be able to share some trips instead of just soaking up all of the great experience that is shared here.

I click the box when logging in that says "remember me" whenever I find myself not logged in. Keeps me logged in whenever I get on the site, whether on laptop or iPhone.

Robin, is this the method that works best for the site?

Maybe some of us just need a tutorial on the best methods for keeping the site running smooth and as frustration free as possible.

I probably should know this, but I think those 75 guests are playing heck with our usage quota. I would like to get back to a smaller monthly hosting fee, it was $14 but had to be increased to $85 a month because we kept going over quota. I really think having so many hits by guests creates unnecessary traffic.

Robin , would you be comfortable sharing which quotas were being overrun? There should be separate numbers for Data Transfer, Hard Disk space, and CPU load. Perhaps others. Depending on which is the issue, slightly different strategies can be used.

I only recently discovered this site and, while I only have posted a few times, I've been busy reading many of the old threads. I hope the site continues on as there is a lot of very good information here.

Back