• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Turtle Numbers Down?

Reaction score
We had a lot fewer turtle sightings on lakes and rivers this summer than in other years. Has anyone else had that same experience?

Turtle populations have been on the decline for quite a while, the Spotted Turtle in Canada which was at one time plentiful is now endangered.

From my observations at a turtle pond near my cabin it's quite obvious. There are two small ponds separated by a road, 50 years ago there was a good chance you would see a turtle crossing the road frequently and see them sunning on old logs almost every time you went past the pond if it was at all sunny. I haven't seen one in that spot for about 10 years and it's not because the ponds have dried up. If it was just urban sprawl I would understand but like you I have noticed that on canoe trips in remote areas they are much more of a rarity than they used to be.

Today we saw approximately 150 painted turtles sun-bathing along a two mile stretch of lakeshore. It was the same area where I bemoaned the low numbers two summers ago.

Although there are variations in the timing we are currently in or near the peak egg laying time for turtles in the northern US an d southerrn Canada (especially painted turtles). Since they lay eggs on shore and often a fair distance from the water this is the time when you see the maximum numbers.

Here in Toronto we have a battle between the cherry blossom viewers and the turtles (and eggs), the result is that many eggs and turtles get trampled.

I came across three turtles last summer on my outings. A Snapping, Blanding's, and a mystery turtle. Painted?

snapper.jpg

Blanding's.jpg

mapper.jpeg

The snapper was the least shy as you'd expect.

Back