• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Trips planned for 2017 What is everyone planning

I always do a local Delaware River camping weekend covering the 26 mile section within the Del Water Gap National Scenic Park.

But the Adirondacks is what I get excited about.
I'd like to paddle...
-Low's to Oswegatchie
-Long Lake to Crusher Boat Launch
-explore deep into Cedar River Flow.

and revisit some favorite spots like Whitney Wilderness Area and St. Regis and mix in some hunting and hot tenting.

Loading my new pak canoe 165, friends, their canoes into an Otter at Bluewater Aviation in Bissett, Manitoba and being deposited north of the Bloodvein River in Atikaki Provincial Park for three weeks beginning in mid-May. Tentative second trip mid-summer to continue exploring routes in Atikaki.

I'd really like to do the inland route of Isle Royale National Park this year. Will Probably do BWCA again at some point, and would like to do a couple rivers in the UP that I have yet to do (Paint, Escanaba, Michigamme, Whitefish, etc).

All Adirondack plans for me...

Still trying to work out the logistics of a Rock Lake-Rock River-Cedar River through trip.
Will definitely do an Essex Chain lakes-Rock River via the Chain Drain-Cedar River through trip, I've done my homework for that one.
A return to Muck Hole (FKA Duck Hole, pre Irene), via the Prestons and Henderson Lake, with a side trip up McNaughton!
Upper Hudson, Upper Boreas rivers, mid Cedar River, water levels permitting.
Some old favorites including Fish Pond, Witchhopple Lake, Little Tupper...

All in the planning stages, hard to concentrate on paddling when I'm praying for snow and cold temps.

Let me know when you are doing some of these. Other than the meetup at Gary's place years ago, we haven't done anything together.

I'd really like to do the inland route of Isle Royale National Park this year. Will Probably do BWCA again at some point, and would like to do a couple rivers in the UP that I have yet to do (Paint, Escanaba, Michigamme, Whitefish, etc).

Ok....I went to Isle Royal when I was 11 or 12 with the BSA. I am seriously interested in going back 45 years later. Going to research this one.

Big trip is 6 days on the Buffalo river...

I want to do the Buffalo this year too. I'm not sure if I'll have time for a week long trip this spring. If not I'll just do my usual long weekenders in southern Missouri and central Kansas.

Other then my grandson's trip and a couple with this group I'm planning a new equipment shakedown weekend paddle St Regis or Lows Lake, a Basecamp trip with my wife either in the ADKs or in Frontenac, PP and a solo starting at Paul Smiths down to Upper Saranac, Rollins, Fish Pond and back to the start With late Aug thru Oct still open.

We should try to plan something around the same time/place so we can meet other members. We don't need to camp together (although some might). But if a bunch of us were at say, Little Tupper, or St Regis, or Algonquin PP, we could at least visit. Thoughts?

The last two years my 3 companions and I didn't do our 5 day canoe trip down the Cains River which is a tributary of the Miramichi in NewBrunswick Canada. After a few beers we felt we all missed that trip so decided that we commit ourself to do 5 days on some river whether it is the Cains or the Main SouthWest Miramichi. The blowing snow and cold is making our coming fishing and canoeing trips seem like a long ways away but I guess one should not wish our life away. Perhaps this Tuesday we are going to the cabin to play guitar, have a cook out and drink a few beer while talked about out past trips and future plans.

Let me know when you are doing some of these. Other than the meetup at Gary's place years ago, we haven't done anything together.

Russ,
Will do. I'm having a tough time to find other paddlers that share my interests and have available time.

I would also be up for a gathering...

Loading my new pak canoe 165, friends, their canoes into an Otter at Bluewater Aviation in Bissett, Manitoba and being deposited north of the Bloodvein River in Atikaki Provincial Park for three weeks beginning in mid-May. Tentative second trip mid-summer to continue exploring routes in Atikaki.

Ohhhhh to be retired. Soon enough. That sounds like a fine time, maybe I will bump into you out there somewhere.

I'll be with Doug D and another friend doing the St John from Baker Lake to St. Francis. It'll be my first upper St. John trip as well (I've been on it from the Allagash to Fort Kent).

I've also got an Adirondack trip planned in the Long Lake area, and tentative plans for a Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake trip...one of my favorites.

-rs

I'll be with Doug D and another friend doing the St John from Baker Lake to St. Francis. It'll be my first upper St. John trip as well (I've been on it from the Allagash to Fort Kent).

I've also got an Adirondack trip planned in the Long Lake area, and tentative plans for a Lobster Lake to Chesuncook Lake trip...one of my favorites.

-rs

Nice trips and for those who have never been the last and first are awesome no portage trips... The St. John is off to an awesome start. The snow is already deep and more coming much more two feet tomorrow. For an entirely snowmelt dependent river this is good news. It may snow during your trip.. We had 14 inches at NW Cabin one night..

Duct Tape - I'd be up for something like that as well. My usual problem is not being able to get away on weekends due to work so if some sort of adventure, even a short one, comes up for the weekdays, I'd love to join in if folks would have me. I'll stay tune to these airwaves and look for future information. Also, anyone could PM me if there is anything that might be available; and I'll do the same.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back