• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Trailers: Tips for Backing Up, Driving, Maintaining?

Oh, a receiver hitch would be better. That way you can remove the ball, so you don't look like some ole southern hillbilly driving around with a hitch sticking out the front of you van. 😂
Roy

You could install a hitch on the front bumper.

You mean then switching the trailer from the rear hitch to the front hitch when I get to the boat ramp? (Or would I have to drive backwards on the highway while the trailer is on the front?) That could work. I could just have a ball welded onto my front bumper. The bumper is strong enough to hold the lightweight trailer for a few yards of driving. However, please don't tell me I have to buy a Johnny Paycheck album, especially on Sonny & Cher day.

(Or would I have to drive backwards on the highway while the trailer is on the front?)
Naw, they only do that in Kentucky. Were a little smarter breed here in TN. Here in these parts you would have to play Johnny Cash and the Carter family.

Yeh them little trailers are hard to back up.
Roy

The long wheel-base of your van isn't helping, either. I'd bet it alone is unforgiving when it comes to making corrections.

My dad gets into a lather backing up trailers. He seems to forget that he is also in control of the speed of the vehicle and that there is an option to come to complete stop. Instead, he hammers away on the steering wheel, over-correcting, over-incorrecting, and ultimately, jack-knifing. Just stop. Breath.

the average 8" tire has a circumference of about 50", the circumference of a 12" one is about 65", that 12" turns at about 3/4 of the speed of the 8", meaning a far cooler tire and bearing at highway speeds.
part of my job was towing small trailers behind an extended E350, the most obvious cure is proper, door hung, trailer mirrors, and added conduit corner markers like you see on the big bass boat trailers (u- bolt to your rear uprights) we went one step farther by adding reflective tape and small running lights (tapped into the tail lights) on top of the conduit for night driving- it also lets the guy beside you know there's a trailer there before he changes lanes.
don't forget too that 1" of turning on the front wheels can equate to 2 1/2" feet at the trailer wheels, so slow and gentle is the key...

Last edited:
That sounds sensible. On the other hand, the 8" wheels are rated for highway speeds. Plus, 12" wheels and their tires would probably make me have to back deeper into boat ramp water, and the increase in height would make it a little more difficult to lift the canoe off and on the cross bars.

I'll probably just live with the 8" wheels through next season to see how it goes, but I don't think the trailer could take dirt roads with ruts and washboards. I have to creep along my driveway.

This was suggested to me by a fisherman who watched me after he backed his trailer easily with his SUV hatch up.

It's doable but somewhat inconvenient for me in my van. The space between my back couch/bed and the rear doors is where I permanently store much of my canoe and camping gear. I would have to remove all that. Then, because my couch back also sticks up high, I'd have to recline it down into bed mode, which would necessitate moving other things around in the van interior. I will try it eventually.

So far, I have had some success in finding human assistance at boat ramps. As I've aged, I've moved through three distinct stages with respect to people offering canoe loading help:

1. Well into my 60's I was highly insulted if anyone offered to help me carry or load a canoe onto my high vans. "No thanks, buddy, I'm strong and have been doing this all by myself for decades." Self-reliance defiance . . . was I.

2. Okay, I'll accept help if offered, but I ain't ever asking.

3. "Hey, friend, would you mind giving an old guy with a bad back a helping hand with this heavy 1895 canoe. My cardiologist and orthopedist would really appreciate it."
you can change the angle when running larger tires by adding a higher hitch drawbar

I have a trailer that came with a boat. It was 20 years old but never used. When I went to buy a spare tire the owner of the boat shop recommended replacing both tires because of age. He said they aren't made to the same specs as a car tire and don't last as long.

You could install a hitch on the front bumper. I've heard of people doing that because they drop our lakes so far down in the off seasons, it's a long way down some ramps, and it would be easier to see your trailer. Just a thought.
Roy
A marina in Inlet NY has a truck with that set up. It works quite well

You could install a hitch on the front bumper. I've heard of people doing that because they drop our lakes so far down in the off seasons, it's a long way down some ramps, and it would be easier to see your trailer. Just a thought.
Roy
yes. When we lived on Long Island Sound we often saw that at boat ramps. The tidal range though only 6 feet is enough to lose sight of a sailboat trailer. Seemed to work well except when one person drove the trailer too far into the water at low tide and the algae covered ramp guaranteed a further slide down into the water. He was glad he had a hitch in the rear for the tow truck to attach to.

Hello all, it's been a long time since my last visit.

The smaller the trailer, the harder to reverse.

There are rules in the RV world that apply here - repack bearings every 3,000 miles, trailer tires have a lifespan of 5-6 years and may never show any signs of deterioration. Replace with quality tires, avoid what are referred to as "chinabombs". Check the air pressure regularly.

Strap on trailer mirrors would be extremely helpful here giving you much better view. A combo flat mirror with an additional wide angle (not an obnoxious fisheye but easy to view) for each side view mirror would be my choice.

There are wireless backup cameras on the market usually with infrared for nighttime use. Easy to install, just supply locations and power. The camera could be powered from your reverse lights (automatic) or your running lights if you would like an extended rear view (only active with lights).

Other than that, find a large empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice.

I promise to check back later.

Tom

Here’s an old Canadian long haul driver with some good ideas.

The video is good but doesn't address my primary problem. I know about the "trick" of putting my hands on the bottom of the steering wheel, and I can back straight back as the guy in the video does, just adjusting slightly for left or right drifts of the trailer . . . IF I have room to get the van and trailer aimed in a straight line down the boat ramp.

Many small pond boat ramp areas don't have enough room to get everything lined up for a straight line back up down the boat ramp.

My big problem is that I have to back around a 90° angle at many boat ramps due to the configuration of the ramp, turning area and parking spots. The boat ramp area may be shaped like this: —I I enter from the bottom, then have to turn 90° left into a turning/parking area, then have to back up 90° to the right to go down the boat ramp.

In other words, I have to back up around a sharp corner. This is where I become very incompetent. If my turn is too sharp, I end up jack-knifed. If the turn is too shallow, I miss the boat ramp. Unless I'm lucky, my best bet to to get the van aimed straight back, and then to get out of the van and lift the trailer into a straight line position with the van. This is heavy but doable with the canoe on the trailer, and easy when the trailer is empty.

I suppose practice, practice, practice is the only real solution for learning to turn corners backwards.

Glenn, why not just purchase a wireless camera and stick it on the trailer or van when you get to the boat launch?

Glenn, why not just purchase a wireless camera and stick it on the trailer or van when you get to the boat launch?

I'm not sure a camera would solve my lack of control problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Thanks. I'm now researching completely wireless, rechargeable battery backup cameras with a very good transmission distance. I don't want to run wires to a camera all the way in the back of the trailer.

Glenn try to back the trailer down the ramp to your left.. an onside backup is always easier than an off side one. You must have a ramp similar to the one on our lake. Scarcely 30 feet long and perpendicular to the highway. The highway has a speed limit of 50. ( its posted at 35 but no one obeys that). Boaters have no choice but to block traffic.

It is always good for entertainment on weekends especially early in the spring.. So you are not alone .

I'm not sure a camera would solve my lack of control problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Thanks. I'm now researching completely wireless, rechargeable battery backup cameras with a very good transmission distance. I don't want to run wires to a camera all the way in the back of the trailer.

I think you'd prefer the camera mounted up high on your van so you can see the trailer. Batteries can fail at the worst time.

Slightly related - I noticed the top of a truck cab sticking out of the water one day driving by the launch near my house. A few days later this sign appeared.
1667497661770.png

No issues since.

Joking aside, I always make sure my vehicle has a working parking/emergency brake. Especially if the boat is heavy.

Bob

I think you'd prefer the camera mounted up high on your van so you can see the trailer.

That's a reasonable idea. I'll experiment with that if I get a camera.

Batteries can fail at the worst time.

The wireless ones with rechargeable batteries have solar panel chargers on them, in addition to the ability to be easily removed and recharged by USB port, plus I would only need the camera to be on for probably less than an hour per year.

I use the orange fiberglass driveway markers on my wood splitter. I placed them so you can see them in the side mirrors without them you can’t see anything until it Jack knife’!
We pulled Ingersol Rand air compressors for years on the Sanya-Fe railway ,they were narrow 5' wide and short tongue , and like a canoe on a trailer when you saw them in your side mirrors ! TOO LATE ! Many old timers used those driveway reflectors , mounted on the sides welding on small tubes to receive them pointing outboard then removing them for transit on the Hi-way .

Back