• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Trade new Osprey for new racks

Reaction score
I’m just throwing this out there, not sure if I’ll get any bites. I’m getting a new truck and would really like to get the thule 500 xt racks for it. Problem is, they are dang expensive, around 850 in Canada plus tax, which mean a thousand bucks.
http://www.amazon.ca/Thule-500XT-Xs...TF8&qid=1407110342&sr=8-4&keywords=thule+rack

I was wondering if anyone would want to do a trade. My new osprey that I just finished building for a set of new racks. Keep in mind I am no fine carpenter, just a guy who builds canoes for fun, so don’t expect a work of art, it is what it is. I have only had it on the water for five minutes, there isn’t even a scratch on it.

Of course, the problem would be delivery, since I am in the middle of no-where. Like I say, I’m just throwing it out there to see what happens.

I'd love nothing more than to take on your handy work. I'd be proud to own it. Unfortunately I can't afford it.

I just had a look on Amazon.com and the unit you are talking about is listed for $544 (and change) USD. I'm sure that's better than trying to buy it from up here in Canada, and shipping it to you + border crossing. I live about 30 min from the dealers in Toronto.
I have purchased items from the US many times and it seems to always be the brokerage fees and shipping that absolutely kill the deal. Is it the same going the other way?

Yeah.. I could easily bring the racks to Mem but don't need another boat now that I have been ambushed by a tent. The border men will still insist on tax though..

Ya, it's a long drive for me to the border, if I order stuff from the States it usually works out about the same as the Canadian price by the time all the fiddly stuff is done.

Wouldn't it be nice to send the boat south with Robin? I can bring the racks.. but then dirty money is involved. You can work on me re the boat like I intend to work on you re dats and cogs.

I thought you country boys like your racks home grown, and not bought...

Read into that however you will because that's probably what I intended, unless of course you are offended, in which case that's not at all what I meant...

All jokes aside, I kind of figured you might build your own rack. Do you have a welder? I know my dad built his own rack for his truck out of pressure treated lumber. It was nothing to look at but it would hold a load of wood or a boat no problem and lasted longer than the truck did.

Ha, was just out sitting around the fire…..yes, I'm in canada, but a tiny isolated part of it, I wanted to use some old racks, but my wife won't have them on a new truck, and I would get rid of that paddle boat in an instance, but some guys borrowed it tonight to rescue a stranded pontoon boat out past our place, so now it apparently has some function again. Something will come up. I was going to use the Osprey for the upcoming trip, but at my current weight with all my gear, I don't think it will be very functional. If i do decide to use it, it will be off the market, cause I'll probably beat it up pretty good, it's mostly a river trip.

I just wanted to throw this out there, since we are throwing stuff around on this thread.

My brother and I started a company building racks for hauling canoes. We have a solo version and a double version.

Anyways, just wanted to throw it out as an option. I would love (even be honored) to have the Osprey and would even do a trade with you for a brand new rack if you liked the racks we build. I'm just not sure how we would do the exchange as I'm in the Southern part of the US.

http://soggybottomoutfitters.net/

Soggy Bottom - Nice looking rack system. I'm set now with my 2006 Tacoma but may look into a set up when I purchase a new truck next year. BTW...are you somewhere in central NYS? I thought I saw a "Carbone" license plate holder on your truck? If so, you can't be too far from me; I'm down near Cooperstown.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

PS - Any thoughts on creating a rack system for a truck with a cap? I tend to have a cap on my truck most of the time so I'm wondering about that as well.

Snapper - I'm not in NYS. I'm in Arkansas. I bought the truck used from Lander's Toyota in Little Rock.

We are always looking for feedback on the racks we build, so feel free to PM me if you have any.

What do you mean by a truck with a cap? Are you referring to a camper shell or a bed cover or something different?

Hey Soggy, leaving on a trip in a few minutes, I'll have a better look at your racks when I get back. Have you ever shipped to Canada? I wonder what the total price would gem customs and all. Anyway, I'll be back in around a week.

Memaquay, we have not yet shipped to Canada. What is your zip code, and I will do some research on shipping? You can PM me if you like or send it to SoggyBottomOutfitters@gmail.com.

And no pressure or assumptions on my part about the racks. If you prefer the Thule 500 xt racks, then by all means, go for those. I just wanted to toss it out as an option that you might not have known you had.

Soggy - Yes, I was referring to what you've called a camper shell; I think. In my case what I have on the back is more than just a bed cover. The box is aluminum (fiberglass is also common) and it comes up even with the roof of my truck's cab; most actual camper covers are higher. In looking at your rack set up it looks like the cap could slide right in between the rack uprights as long as there's clearance for the roof under the cross bars. Lots of time to consider all this though since I'll be keeping the truck at least another year.

That's all for now. Sorry for the delay in replying as I was playing up in Maine from last Thursday until today. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

No problem on the delay, Snapper. I hope you had a great time in Maine.

When time is closer, let's chat more about the truck cap.

The mounting system on those racks has me really intrigued. I had a nice set of yakima racks for Dakota but they won't mount on the Tacoma because of the box rails.

I think you are going to find shipping to Geraldton is going to cost more than the racks. Great ingenuity though.

Back