• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

Total weight...

Reaction score
So I was playing around with weighting my gear in preparation of ou trip starting tomorrow, and everything other than my food came up to around 220lbs... You have to keep in mind a few things here, that include wall tent and wood stove, and all hunting related gear( come along, game bags, extra tarps, rifle, ammunition, waders etc etc). Other things to keep consider is it was snowing here this morning... The forecast for our 6 days trip, is around -3c at night and 7c above during the day. So this time of the year up here it is a bit colder than down south. so need to bring some extra clothing and a bigger sleeping bag. We don't have to portage any of the stuff and we like a bit of luxury like a table, and chairs! And we use a fire box, that alone weight 14 pounds( I wish I could have one in Ti of the same model!!). Of course, other than my personal stuff like sleeping bag, mattress, clothing, riffle and axe, all the rest is for the 2 of us. So tent, stove, tarps, fire box, kitchen, after the shot gear, sat phone etc etc is splitter in two!

Anyway, it was the first time weighting every thing, and I will never do it again other than if I do a fly in trip!!

Cheers

Sometimes weight doesn't matter a whit. Othertimes it matters a lot.. I'd surmise you would not want to hunt in Algonquin with that kit..

Nice post. I can only imagine what a Yukon hunt must be like. My days of a trip like that are long gone but I understand the weight thing for a shoulder season hunt.
Of course, I'm down here and my canoe hunt will not be anything like yours, but the one thing we will have in common is being out there, enjoying the hunt, the time in camp, the anticipation, the comradery. Guess that's more than one thing, but you know what I mean.
Good luck, safe travels and post a trip report when you get back. I always enjoy your reports.

I don't think thats too much weight, but what I found is that for a trip like that you either need a freighter canoe or two 18 footers, unless you're hunting rabbits or spruce hens.;)

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you Robin! It is all that and more of course. Moose is or can be a lot of work to, especially a big one. One year we shot big bodied bull that yield 750+ pounds of dressed meat!

Anyhow, I will report back for sure!

Cheers

I don't think thats too much weight, but what I found is that for a trip like that you either need a freighter canoe or two 18 footers, unless you're hunting rabbits or spruce hens.;)

Good luck and have fun.

We will be using a 20 foot canoe, but usually we are in 2 16-17 footers. We'll see what happen!!

Never tried weighing all of my stuff on a trip but with no portages I would sure make sure that I was comfortable, 220 doesn't seem too bad.

The canoe we are using on this trip is an Esquif Miramichi. Quite the barge, but it has a pay low of 1700lbs... What ever that means... So I think we are good to go and back with up to 900lbs of moose!!

The canoe we are using on this trip is an Esquif Miramichi. Quite the barge, but it has a pay low of 1700lbs... What ever that means... So I think we are good to go and back with up to 900lbs of moose!!
I believe the term is payload.....basically, as related to your instance, the carrying capacity (in weight) of gear and occupants of your canoe.

I believe the term is payload.....basically, as related to your instance, the carrying capacity (in weight) of gear and occupants of your canoe.
Yes but you really don't want to push near that limit. It allows you just six inches of freeboard.. If on big lakes you want a little more freeboard.
Moose season started downeast here and I saw lots of Grand Laker canoes on the road. I suspect they were outbound to base camps.

Isi ti really "pay load"... It's not because I miss spell something( typing typo is more what it is) that I don't know what I'm talking about! And by what ever that means, I mean that like YC wrote, you have to take that with a grain of salt cause if you push the limits of that statement, you might end up in trouble!!

We are going on a small river that will most likely be super low water, so chances are small to get swamped!!

See you in a week!

You might bring rollers.. for transport on the river. Of course a sledge on rollers is handy on land.. Watch out you don't fall out and hit your head.

The river was surprisingly hight water and really different than last time I was on it!! It was a good trip, could have been great, but was good!!

Back