• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Too much wind

Reaction score
Here in southern minnesota, we've had some sunny days, but a lot of wind. Way too much wind for canoeing. AccuWeather predicts 20 MPH winds or more most everyday until mid-June.

Seems like each year has been windier than the last. Why so much wind?

I bet if I bought a kite and looked forward to flying it everyday, there would be no wind!

Actually I thought last spring was notable for its relative lack of wind. But I agree that this one, so far, has been very windy, which seems about normal. Baseball, outside basketball, fishing, bicycling, canoeing, target shooting. All my life wind has been the curse of my hobbies. Maybe I'll take up sailing and change that.

Alan

Have sailed in the past and would like to take up hard water ice boating.
It seems like a fit with the lack of snow we have been having here in Minnesota.
You may have to change the old cycling adage "hills are my friend" to apply to the wind.
Maybe it will be enough to give you the ol' mind over matter solution.
It has been windy here as well!

The little lake behind my house, @ 100 acres, has had more caps this spring than I can recall. Either it is my memory going or there really is something to this additional wind. And it seems to be coming from all of the possible directions, not jut a steady WNW or S. Great for turning over the lakes but tough for canoeing or even just putting out the pontoon. I played golf yesterday upon a very open course and watched the wind play havoc with my shots. Darn cold too. I had much of my shoulder month BWCA gear on.

It seems windier every year. Not so much number of days but the amplitude. When the lake turns over its always quite windy
Today again rain/snow. Somewhere out there is 70. It will get there this summer. What we don't seem to get a lot of anymore is summer heat. There is a distinct boundary about 100 miles south

Buy a Spirit Sail. I noticed a few years back that every time Mike McCrea put his up on Raystown Lake, the wind died down almost immediately.

A few years ago, we figured out that you can cover more bases by augmenting the paddle fleet with a small sailboat. No wind - paddle. Wind - sail. Makes for a lot of time on the local water. Helps if you have a large lake nearby. Sailboats, though, are about the biggest time killer I kknow - so be forewarned.

It does seem like we have mmore sailing opportunities now than in the past. And more days to stay reefed - or just stay off.

I've always hated windy days. I can put up with heat, cold and bugs, but wind is a weather bully. It pushes you around relentlessly, making it hard to comply with mother nature. I would love one of those packable sails for canoeing, I keep meaning to buy one. On blustery tripping days we usually adjust the tarps and tie down the canoe, and wait till the bully has thrown his weather weight around a bit. I actually don't recall being wind bound on any trips. We've always been hunkered down in preparation for a storm anyway, the winds just being the most unpleasant part of it. Rain? Lounging under tarp is livable, where we cook and eat, chat and read. Cold? Bundle up and continue. Bugs? Deal with them. In inclement weather conditions I prefer to make those travel days rather than sit around camp. But windy days drive us inside where we cocoon in sleeping bags, napping and reading...and waiting for the tempest to subside. We make occasional forays out to the kitchen in the lee of canoe and tarp for a quick sup and sip, then check all rigging before diving back into our nylon cave. We haven't endured the worst of any of these challenges I know, but I find wind to be the most daunting.

not sure a sail would work in a headwind. Its always a headwind.. Go one way on a lake its a headwind. Go the other way on a lake its a headwind..The joy of night paddling.. no headwind.
I tried one of those sails on a kayak once. Incredibly hard to get used to. At my age, I am not trying again. And yes I have had two sailboats. Those are called taxable to the State.

Buy a Spirit Sail. I noticed a few years back that every time Mike McCrea put his up on Raystown Lake, the wind died down almost immediately.

Not just Raystown. I am the windkiller on many trips where I bring a sail. The glass-like water surface is a disappointment I can live with. Assateague is never this calm:

But when the wind and timing is right there is nothing like having a small sail. Some of the best lake and bay trips ever where sailing all the way in, setting up camp, day paddle explore into the wind and sail back to camp, repeat multiple times and, when the wind turns, sail all the way back out.

I've always hated windy days. I can put up with heat, cold and bugs, but wind is a weather bully. It pushes you around relentlessly, making it hard to comply with mother nature. I would love one of those packable sails for canoeing, I keep meaning to buy one.
We haven't endured the worst of any of these challenges I know, but I find wind to be the most daunting.

Brad, sad to say Spirit Sail appears to be out of business. That was by far my favorite simple downwind sail.

Wind is daunting if it drains me from constant, unprotected exposure, but I dig wind and always have. Even the 30 mph, gusts to 40 that keep me well-hunkered down in camp. Part of that is the pleasure of spending a windbound day getting camp just right, tarp wind blocked and well strung, searching out a wind void to set a spell and ponder the moving branches or settling down by a fire in the insulated wind chair and sip a beer.

Part of it is sometimes accepting the challenge, hunkering down and channeling Lt. Dan shouting “You call this a storm”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZH9ebAZouk

In any of that I need one specialized piece of gear, my wind chair. I’ve sung the praises of that head extension piece (and Ridgerest cushion) before, but I can’t imagine enduring a stiff shoulder-season wind on the back of my neck without it. I feel a rant coming on.

With a portable wind shelter I not restricted to the under-tarp windbreak location, with half my view restricted, but can sit wherever the heck I dang well please, by the fire, off in the woods or down by the lake. As long as I’m smart enough to put my back to the wind I am in a protected lee.

I’m gonna carry a chair in any case and it might as well have a wind block and head rest. The extension is simply the seat fabric from a busted folding chair, which conveniently already has some grommets on the corners. A pair of old Eureka tent poles stuck in the fabric sleeves/grommets supports the wind block headrest.

Those junk parts are ubiquitous and, dang, a windblock and a headrest, Barcalounger comfort for staring at the breeze in the boughs birdlife and clouds.

12oz with those freebie materials, probably 3 or 4oz with carbon fiber poles and Silnylon. If I used a lightweight chair I’d try.

That headrest also doubles up the fabric on the back of the chair for added wind protection/warmth. The bungee balls on the bottom hold the flap in place around the chair frame, and the whole thing goes on and off in seconds and rolls up to fit nicely between the legs of the folder chair. Simple, free-ish with those materials and a-mazzzing-ly effective as a personal wind shelter.

Once the end of the chair’s backrest poles are exposed they make a handy sleeved receptacle for all manner of things, including summer modes providing breeze exposure plus shade

The seat sized chunk of Ridgerest is as warmth important as the windbreak back. And sees far more uses. I stick it in my day hammock for warmth and under my self-inflating pad in the tent as thorn protection and extra cushion. It has been invaluable as an aux sleeping pad when mine (and other folks) have sprung a slow leak.

As an insulated chair seat it is sometimes surprisingly effective. Just like I have to be smart enough to sit with my back to the wind, I sometimes have to figure out why my arse is all sweaty once the day warms up. TMI.

Wind block/headrest, pad, shade; I can pick and choose.

The stripped down golf umbrella see multiple uses. Handy cover on the thunderbox when it’s raining, rudimentary sail in the bow of a tandem, even just stepping out from under the tarp to fetch something from the tent or tend the fire without donning raingear.

Seriously, which of these chairs would you choose in windblown sand? Hey Willie, get the heck outa my spot!

Sometimes there is silliness.

Last edited:
how many trips across the portages?? Some of this stuff is very foreign to us who do portage.

I weighed that rudimentary wind block back rest. 12 oz, using that thick pack cloth chair seat fabric, aluminum Eureka poles and oversized/over tentacled tarp bungee balls. Probably too much for a gram weeny unwilling to omit even a single can of beer.

But for a non-portage trip; the windy Green, something bayside or Everglades toting potable water the extra ¾ pound a wind block head rest would be well worth it.

I’m thinking I could get that weight down to a couple of ounces using carbon fiber poles, sil-nylon material and something like Bungee Dealee Bobs.

http://www.oldscoutoutdoorproducts.com/about.html

Even for one of those Helinox chairs a three ounce wind block would be handy. 30 oz chair + 3 oz headrest. Oh heck yeah!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZGOWZQ?psc=1

I dunno about the Alite Monarch, might be too much sail to balance. It would though keep my head out of the dirt when I inevitably fell over backwards.

http://www.amazon.com/Alite-Designs...=1460569014&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Monarhchair

I may have to give it a try. I think Joel has some failed ultra-light chairs I could play with.

I recognize, beyond just being shoulder-season cold or chilled, that constant exposure to wind wears me out in any climate, cold or warm. Constant wind just beats me down over time somehow. And that having a portable, personal wind block has saved my sanity on occasion.

I like wind, I just don’t want to be exposed to it 24/7.

Hmmm....I guess I'll hang on to that ridgerest after all.

...And yes I have had two sailboats. Those are called taxable to the State.

Several years ago, I picked up and old Super Snark with the idea of using the sail rig (with it's nearly new sail) on a canoe. Got to checking though and found out that the minute I put that sail rig on, the canoe would have to be registered - so I never did it. Figured if I have to register a boat with a sail, it might as well be the real thing. That kind of thinking is an invitation to a money pit - as you well know, Kim. Fortunately for me, I think, we didn't need to "go big".

Anyway - if you put me and the wife in the Malecite and point us upwind, I think we can beat our sailboat from one end of the lake to the other upwind....and then we'll need a long nap.

I need to get one of those golf umbrellas.

Hmmm....I guess I'll hang on to that ridgerest after all.

I need to get one of those golf umbrellas.

Ridgerest pads, even scraps of old ones, are too useful to toss. They make wonderful padding on a tractor canoe seat.

A sturdy golf umbrella works surprisingly well as a sail in the bow of a tandem, and I doubt they could cite you for having an unregistered sail boat. Also dang handy for rainy days in camp.

Back