• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Thwart bag suggestions?

G

I'm looking for a BIG waterproof thwart bag with some exterior non waterproof pockets. Ideas?
Thanks, Turtle

I use a front pannier for a road bike, not waterproof, but water resistant, good enough for rain and splashes.

I'm looking for a BIG waterproof thwart bag with some exterior non waterproof pockets. Ideas?

We have had and used a variety of thwart bags and none really proved satisfactory. Only one was truly waterproof; it had a drysuit type waterproof zipper and was a two handed PITA (one hand to grip the bag, one to pull hard on the zipper) to zip open or closed. That “Set the paddle down and use both hands” was to too awkward and time consuming for me, especially in a solo boat.

The other thwart bags ranged from almost waterproof coated nylon to completely not so mesh bags. A DIY’ed Topher NutSack, which is simply a mesh “envelope” minus the top flap. That has a circle of bungee cord hemmed around the top perimeter to help keep it closed (attaches via a deck hooks on the thwart), but it is still easy to pull open to get/put away things.

My wife still uses an ancient Otter Pocket (think I have that name correct), which is essentially a Topher Nutsack made of waterproof material with a top flap to keep out rain and splashes. Neither of those are really waterproof in any sense of the word and held mostly stuff that didn’t need such protection. What few things that went into those thwart bags that needed water resistance went into wee tiny drybags like the ones for cell phones.

I didn’t find any of them particularly convenient. If the thwart bag was close enough that I could reach it without hunching far forward it ended up draped too close to my ankles/feet/foot brace. If it was far enough away to be out from overfoot I couldn’t easily access the bag. Habitual kneeler mileage may vary, but thwart bags didn’t work for me as a sitter.

They were also inconvenient in camp. A lot of the thwart bag contents are things I want close at hand both in boat and in camp. I don’t have a thwart in camp beside my seat, so they ended up laid inconveniently flat on the ground.

My preferred solution is both inelegant and inexpensive; a small soft-sided cooler. They are dry in bilgewater and mostly so in rain, especially if I have them slid under the seat out of the way. There are underseat storage bags, but they are a blind grope to find what you want; with the little cooler I can just slide the bag out, look inside and grab what I want. And when I get to camp I just grab that miscellaneous storage bag and voila, dry, upright and still easy to access in camp.

If I really needed waterproof assurance I’d probably use a small Pelican box; at least I can flip open the two latches one handed. Or maybe some kind of small kayak deck bag; that would get you some exterior non-waterproof pockets.

In any case something without a waterproof zipper; I couldn’t stand needing both hands to open a simple catch-all bag.

I always used a large daypack, it was made of that PVC tarp material, so didn't absorb water in the bilge and then put a nylon fabric dry bag inside for phone, camera, binocs. The shoulder straps on this one had buckles so it was easy to secure and was always in use and useful in camp as an organizer, lunch box for days trips and light trail walking. It was a LL Beans. My current user is a army surplus organizing bag from Sportsmans Guide that follows the same features and line of thought as the original daypack as noted above.

I'm auditioning an old Mountainsmith buttpack next week. I have room for it in my second bag for the longer carries, it has 2 compartments and a friendly zipper.

I'm assuming you're looking for an easily accessible storage solution that also keeps things dry. Most drybags don't really fit that description, and I've found that most thwart bag options have the same issues that Mike McCrea noted. I think his suggestion of a soft-sided cooler is a good option, but I figured I'd offer another solution to think about.

I generally bring along a 5-gallon bucket that has been fitted with a Gamma Lid, which is basically a lid that provides a watertight seal on the bucket that also includes an integral screw-on lid with a similarly watertight seal. It can keep things a lot dryer than a soft-sided cooler, and if you position the bucket in front of your paddling station (as I usually do) it is easily accessible. And it can fit a lot of those odd-ball things out of the way and easily accessible, like tools, rope, compass, etc. On the top "layer" is where I keep things like my sunblock, maps, rain shell etc. The only time it's defenses were breached is when I pinned a boat on a strainer and the bucket spent 2 days underwater in good current. Even then, when I recovered the boat, the bucket was only a third full of water (still enough to kill my phone).

Like the soft sided cooler, I can easily bring the bucket up into camp, allowing me to store things that I need in both the boat and in camp. In a pinch, the bucket can also serve as a table top or seat.

The only disadvantage is that it takes up space in the canoe and is somewhat awkward to pack with other gear. The sift-sided cooler is easier to pack in the boat. But the system seems to work. I can thank DDoremus for the idea.

-rs

I generally bring along a 5-gallon bucket that has been fitted with a Gamma Lid, which is basically a lid that provides a watertight seal on the bucket that also includes an integral screw-on lid with a similarly watertight seal. It can keep things a lot dryer than a soft-sided cooler, and if you position the bucket in front of your paddling station (as I usually do) it is easily accessible.

Like the soft sided cooler, I can easily bring the bucket up into camp, allowing me to store things that I need in both the boat and in camp. In a pinch, the bucket can also serve as a table top or seat.

The only disadvantage is that it takes up space in the canoe and is somewhat awkward to pack with other gear. The sift-sided cooler is easier to pack in the boat. But the system seems to work. I can thank DDoremus for the idea.

I think the dilemma lies in “waterproof”. I’m not sure anything is “waterproof” if pinned for a few days. A Pelican box is probably as close as it gets.

The best small sealed screw top pails/barrels I have found are the Cur-tech wide mouth drums. More leak resistant than anything else I tested, and available in a variety of small sizes, starting at 1 gallon. Fugly inelegant, but very dry and easy to open.

Cur-tech wide neck drums:

https://www.curtec.com/en/products/drums/wide-neck-drums

Mine came from research lab trash; if you have friends in that type of workplace ask them to keep an eye peeled.

I bungee dealy bob my pipe, lighter, and tobacco to the thwart or just generally use cargo pants. I've gotten skilled at drying out a bic in about 20 seconds. If it shouldn't get wet it's packed away. If it's worth the risk to get wet and keep on me I zip lock bag it in a pocket. If it can't get wet I leave it at home.

I like the soft cooler idea. Maybe the only thing they might actually be good for.

What are you guys actually keeping in thwart bags? I typically carry nicotine supplements, a knife, my phone in a bag on easy water, and couple snacks so I don't have to dig through the food barrel. All that fits pretty easy on my person.

I now use an old gym bag with pockets but it's falling apart. I know what you mean by those drysuit type zippers.I kneel, so clearance under the thwart isn't and issue. I carry-bug repellant, binocs,camera, raingear, map-anything I need while paddling. Maybe a not waterproof bag with critical items in little dry bags like I do now would be my best bet. thanks.

I now use an old gym bag with pockets but it's falling apart. I know what you mean by those drysuit type zippers.I kneel, so clearance under the thwart isn't and issue. I carry-bug repellant, binocs,camera, raingear, map-anything I need while paddling. Maybe a not waterproof bag with critical items in little dry bags like I do now would be my best bet. thanks.

Here is what I use. It is pretty water resistant, but not totally waterproof. Anything that really needs to be dry, I ziplock or small dry box it. Very well made. I like the d- rings that let me attach my map case to it for easy access. And I have used the cutting board for cutting fresh fruit and cheese. Comes in two sizes but only the larger has an extra storage compartment

http://www.granitegear.com/large-wedge-thwart-bag.html

Anything that really needs to be dry, I ziplock or small dry box it.
I made my own out of recycled material from a garment bag I picked up at Goodwill; Cordura nylon with a rubbery coating. Not waterproof but I do as Will said. Sorry, no picture handy.

Last edited:
Here is what I use. It is pretty water resistant, but not totally waterproof. Anything that really needs to be dry, I ziplock or small dry box it. Very well made. I like the d- rings that let me attach my map case to it for easy access. And I have used the cutting board for cutting fresh fruit and cheese. Comes in two sizes but only the larger has an extra storage compartment

I really like my waxed Duluth Pack TB. It's large enough to carry the things I want immediately at hand, but hate it on carries. That's why I'm now working with a, (bit too large), buttpack.

This one is selling for $35 at Sierra Trading Post now, if anyone is looking: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gra...granitegear%2F

I've got one of those in Small. It's HUGE! It whacks me in the ankles when sitting

It's way too easy to lose stuff in. I can only imagine the depths of Large

I've got one of those in Small. It's HUGE! It whacks me in the ankles when sitting

I never liked the lack of mobility or sizings of dangling thwart bags. I used a truly waterproof and inflatable floating camera bag with waterproof zipper for many years, the Voyageur Shutterdry. They even replaced the whole thing free under lifetime warranty after about 10 years. It's a little hard to open but quick. But it really doesn't hold enough.

I now like rolltop bags made of waterproof material with some outside pockets. Some have backpack straps; others have just the rolltop grab loop. These aren't totally waterproof for long immersions, but they are in the sense of bilge water, rain and quick flip immersions. Inside, I permanently house stuff I use on all trips, from afternoon jaunts to overnights: first aid kit, various rescue and safety gadgets, change of clothes, towel, rain gear, gloves, cap, etc. In the outside pockets I keep small stuff that doesn't need waterproofing.

Sometimes, I actually attach the rolltop bag to the thwart, but I like the freedom to move it around in front or behind me for convenience or ballast trim purposes. You can always find these things on sale or in online outlet stores.

What are you guys actually keeping in thwart bags?

Good question. I carry a well stocked Spares & Repairs/Ditch Kit on multi-day trips. The soft side cooler holds my usual everyday essentials near at hand stuff. Since the little soft side cooler stays mostly packed with my essentials I don’t remember what all is in it without having a look. (I do check it before a trip)

Stuff that lives in the “essentials” bag soft-side cooler:
Mini 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid/boo boo kit. I carry a better stocked first aid kid in a dry bag
Leatherman and Swiss Army knife in 4 x 6 inch mini dry bag
Compass (and tiny temperature gauge) on lanyard. (Also a deck compass on a thwart)
Spyderco Salt sheath knife (folding rescue knife on my PFD as well)
Sunglasses. Spares in the ditch kit, I’ve been snow blind and must have sunglasses.
Flashlight on a head strap. One of several flashlights in different places.
Plastic kitchen trash bag. Also one of several, up to a 4 x 6 foot monster in the Spares & Repairs dry bag
Bic lighter. Again with the one of several in different places. Smoker.
Pipe, tobacco, cigs.
Ashtray. Yeah, a little black plastic ashtray. That is usually bungeed to a thwart. Even as a smoker I hate butts on the ground.
Notepad, pen & pencil. Larger trip journal stored elsewhere.

In a side sip pocket on the cooler:
Delta Windmill piezo lighter. Awesome windproof, waterproof, damage proof lighter.
A little adaptor to fill that lighter from a iso-butane canister. (Thanks Conk)
Chapstick
Latest permanent addition, the Pocket Bellows.

Stuff that gets added on occasion; Sunscreen, bug dope, paddling gloves, monocular, couple of easy to grab and eat snacks.

The soft side cooler I have used for the last 10 years is a weird Polar Jacket design. It is (IIRC) a 12 pack cooler, weird but it is long and narrow, 14 inches long x 7 tall and 6 wide. Because it is long and narrow it is easy to slide under the seat or up front between my feet and legs.

Best of all it has an opening at either end, so I’m not reaching in at elbow length to grab something at the “back”. I wish I’d bought two when I saw them and if I ever see another I’ll nab it fast.

EDIT:
Before I carried an ashtray I field stripped my butts, which is a nasty chore. Or I doused them in the river and laid the stinky, soggy butt on the thwart, from whence it usually fell into the canoe before I got around to adding it to a really disgusting baggie of soggy butts. Just nasty.

With the ash tray I dump the dry butts in a baggie. If you’ve ever seen a smoker out of tobacco you can imagine the relief of having a butt end supply of dry tobacco and a pack or rolling papers. It’s toasted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=luck...5O0gR6OcnST7EM:

Last edited:
In the past I've wrapped a big fanny pack around the thwart. I haven't done that lately. All it ever did was just hang around looking important but doing very little. So I did what most people get a knack for when packing for a trip, edit the gear. The camera now goes in my PFD pocket. My sunglasses now go on my head along with my chosen hat for the day. No smokes, no lighter. I bum those on the group portage. (lol) 1L drinking bottle lays on the pack in front of me, as does a rain jacket if needed. Folding knife in one pocket, firesteel etc in my other pocket. Bugdope won't be needed till the next portage so it remains tucked in a jacket pocket of whoever used it last, me or she. First aid goes in a BOB dry bag with a second kit stashed in a backpack. Snacks stay in the food barrel, we can picnic on the takeout. Maps and compasses are at hand.
I found I preferred a streamlined approach to gear and it's placement. My own personal view is that if there's another pack coming along on the trip, chances are I'll fill it; fill it with whatever I can think might be essential at any given moment. My thwart bag was the canoe trip version of that kitchen junk drawer we all have at home. But I decided if I edit all my gear ruthlessly I'd wind up with fewer bags and their detritus, which worked out fine on the carries as well as the paddles. But my trip isn't yours. You might organize differently. I don't miss an extra bag to fill and carry.

ps . When I was still considering a thwart bag I was in canvas love with Duluth and Frost River.

Last edited:
What goes on the bag?
Stuff I need during the day. I dislike PFD pockets as they make any hope of reentry go from hard to impossible

So I have my GPS
Sunscreen
Bug dope
Sunglasses
Marine radio- it should be on me
Lunch
Pocket knife
POS cell phone camera in its own dry bag
Spare map
Other stuff I can't remember. It depends on where we are. In the Everglades we plan on not being able to get out of the boat for lunch
Yes nu skin and duct tape and paddling gloves

What goes on the bag?
Stuff I need during the day. I dislike PFD pockets as they make any hope of reentry go from hard to impossible

My feelings exactly. I have enough stuff in my PFD pockets as is, largish carabineer, whistle, pouch with spare truck key and $20 bill, teensy amber flashlight.

There is always temptation to add to the PFD pocket load. I sometimes stick the little digital camera in a pocket, but it is easier to get out of the little cooler essentials bag and usually gets put back in there. The biggest impediment to re-entry is probably the rescue knife on the lash tab.

That stuff in the soft side cooler is also the stuff I want contained handy and protected in camp. YMMV on what you consider essentially handy in boat or camp.

Back to the thwart bag question, one option I ruled out was a small roll top dry bag. Drier yes, but I take more than my share of shore breaks and muckle-ups and repetitively opening and closing a roll top dry bag is too much for lazy me. If you hut-hut-hut nonstop all day YMMV.

Back