• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Three Boats for Sister Sara (Cedar strip, kevlar, and carbon fiber solo boats!)

Reaction score
This will be my first, second and third builds, all wrapped into one project. Yes, that does sound a bit crazy! But all for good reason. Here's the background:

Last summer/fall, I had the chance to introduce a friend to the world of paddlesports, both in kayaks and canoes, including her first wilderness canoe trip! Needless to say, she was hooked, and asked for some help in choosing a kayak to buy for this coming season. As I listened to her needs/wants/limitations in a kayak, it quickly dawned on me that the correct kayak for her wasn't a kayak at all, but a pack boat style canoe. Unfortunately, we have a limited number of options of manufacturers and models available in AK. As I was interested in having a solo boat of my own, and was interested in building a stripper, I got some advice from the forums here and we set out with a plan: build one cedar stripper to use as a male plug, test paddle it, and if it works out, create a female mold from which to lay up two final boats.

We set out a series of criteria for the boats:

Solo day tripper/light weekend tripper. 220 lbs will be a typical upper end load, which represents a weekend trip for her, and day tripping for me.
Light enough to be portaged and car topped by a 5-6" woman. 35 lbs max, target <30 lbs (in composite layup, cedar obviously exceeding this).
Paddled either as a pack boat, with kayak seat and double bladed paddle, or with a kneeling thwart.
High secondary stability, decent-good primary stability.
No whitewater paddling.
Decent speed.

The production boat that appears to come closest to what we were looking for is the Swift Keewaydin 14, while the Ashes Solo Pack plans came very close (though a bit short). In the end, I've decided to try and create my own design based around these, while also pulling some measurements from my Kestrel 140 kayak. I've attached the first version of my efforts, and I think I'm heading in the right direction. I work a remote camp-style job (working for a few weeks away from home, then off for a few), so my free time over the next few weeks can be spent designing, redesigning, and refining the plans. Any feedback or critiques are appreciated, as I know this will be a work in progress for a while.

The numbers where it's at:

14' LOA
13' 8.5" @4" water line
28.1" beam, 24" gunwales, 26" @4" water line
Rocker: 1" stern, 2" bow

In the mean time, during the last few weeks while home, in addition to refining our list of requirements and design criteria, we got started on a strongback, No pictures I'm afraid, and right now it's just a pile of pre-cut wood, as we've delayed assembling it until we're ready to build in order to save some garage space in the mean time. Come mid-April, however, I'll be home for a few weeks with plenty of time to start making some serious progress on the stripper build, so I'm counting the days until then!

Attachments

• photo11168.jpg
    photo11168.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11169.jpg
    photo11169.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11170.jpg
    photo11170.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11171.jpg
    photo11171.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I like it !
Looks to me to have good flare, and rocker !

Will you trim this out for a single blade, or for a double bladed paddle !

I know everybody is going for the shouldered tumblehome hulls, I'm not sure I'm sold on them. I guess it's the Old Geezer in me ! I would think builders would need to beef up the sharp turn of the hull with filled epoxy, it might be more difficult to glass !

Good to see new designs popping Up !

I get totally bored building the exact same hull all the time ! Seems I always alter a design a little at least !

Please to see New Blood Building !!!

Jim

I'll likely be trimming out for both single and double bladed paddling-- I know for sure my build partner wants double bladed, and mine will be trimmed with an angled kneeling thwart. Should be a great way to test the methods side by side!

The shouldered tumblehome will hopefully be most useful to my build partner, who doesn't have quite the 76" wingpsan as I have. Since her double paddle will be entering the water at a less than vertical angle, the tumblehome should allow easier paddling without simply moving the contact point from the gunwale to the waterline, if that makes sense.

Glad to hear you're enjoying seeing the design, I'm finding myself as excited about designing at this point as I am about building!

Nice looking hull design. And a great plan!
I am a big fan of shouldered tumblehome, that "crease" will ad great stiffness. If you carried that crease a bit farther forward, you could include a little more flare, resulting in a drier ride and a little more buoyancy up front.

As far as weight goals, I think you're very conservative.
I built a J Winters "Kite", both in wood strip and as a full composite.
The wood strip version was built extremely strong, and ended up at 39 lbs! Way too heavy for me, and that pushed me to build the full composite version.
The carbon copy ended up at 29 lbs, I was hoping for 25, so it was an abject failure...A major part of the overweight was the carbon gunnels.
If I were to build a full composite again (very likely) I would not bother with carbon cloth due to the expense and difficulty working with it. (as compared to E glass) I would (will) use more H80 foam to provide the same stiffness as the overpriced carbon.

I'm pretty sure you could hold the weight down to 30 lbs on the stripper, and 25 lbs or less on the composite versions. Pay careful attention to the trim weights, particularly any heavy weight carbon sleeving or tape. It really adds up.

BTW, I have built a DY Special (16'8" lg) in wood strip and kept the weight down to 32 lbs...

That's very encouraging to hear...trim is the area that's really concerning as far as weight goes. Gunwales will be interesting-- since I'll be making a mold from the finished stripper, I want to initially use a screwed on set of gunwales, likely something quick and dirty in order to get the boat on the water for test paddling. After I've finished that, then a more permanent solution can be installed.

I have half a mind right now to go with WRC throughout the entire build for a very clean, uniform appearance, reinforcing places like gunwales with additional glass tape.

Back