• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Thoughts on Wenonah Spirit II and "tuf-weave"

Reaction score
Good day all,
Just thought I too would tap into the knowledge and experience that gathers here. I have been looking for decent quality sort of do-all canoe for family day paddles, tandem and family tripping and also something I can paddle solo on occasion. We are located in the "Lakeland county" of Alberta...need I say more? There is also a variety of rivers in the area form slow meandering rivers to big rivers like the North Saskatchewan. Due to my location, selection is limited. I did find a dealer who had a spirit II in Royalex which was the material I was looking for. However, he does have the same boat in tuf-weave that he will sell to me for the same price as the Roaylex due to a minor handling scratch. thoughts on this hull and material for intended purposes?

Last edited:
17 foot is a windcatcher for solo. You will have to heel it over for most efficient paddling and the stems will wave in the air. If you sit backwards on the bow seat you will have to add bow ballast.

Tuf Weave is a good composite. Its partly fiberglass. Any repair needed should be easy. The big difference is of course weight.

The OT Penobscot is just a bit more slender. It too is a windcatcher for soloing in its 17 foot iteration.

Is poling in your future? Both would be good.

Yes poling is in my future! I completely understand the issues with soloing a 17' boat but, cant have it all in one package. Right now paddling solo is number three on my priority list. Not to mention about a mile from my house there is a nice lagoon which connects to Cold Lake via channels through untouched wilderness so its a great spot for soloing/poling a bigger boat. More concerned about tuf-weave being family camping friendly.

Back