• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Thoughts on a pole

Glad to know that pick pole handles are still out there. I got a piece of clear western red cedar from a friend of mine. He ripped to around 2 x 2 inches. Then I used a spoke shave and sanded it. I put a galvanized bell reducer on the end to protect it. I keep the pole in my powerboat mostly, but it is light, strong, and has a lot of flex in it. The steel on the end helps the pole to sink faster.

Last edited:
I made one out of ash the same way and was thinking about doing it again, but at $50 it looks like it might be worth buying one.

Ash usually holds up pretty well, but I would probably go with the 1 5/8 inch option to reduce the chance of snapping it. I think they sell pole feet too.

-rs

I have spruce, ash and aluminum poles.... about a dozen at present. 1 3/8" ash is more than enough. It is strong and heavy. I think that my ash poles are 1 5/16" for about three feet in the center and I tapered them down to 1" at the ends with 1 1/4" of galv. electrical conduit on the end a 3/8" hanger bolt turned in with no more than 3/4" of the bolt end sticking out. You really don't want to be any heavier than this if you are poling for any length of time.
As far as snapping the end off... any pole will snap of if you trap it and don't drop it. Just take one good yank and let it go and go back for it if it doesn't float free.
My 2 cents.
Steve

I like spruce pole, I use sitka spruce, it's light, stiff, and that is what I have on hand. I'm planning a 2 piece one for next summer. We'll see what I can come up with!!

I made mine from a slowly grown spruce. You usually find them in shadowy places. They're thin, perfect thickness for a pole. And very strong since you have the whole growth rings. And they weight almost nothing compared to one in ash. And you can most likely get it for free if you ask the land owner.

I have spruce, ash and aluminum poles.... about a dozen at present. 1 3/8" ash is more than enough. It is strong and heavy. I think that my ash poles are 1 5/16" for about three feet in the center and I tapered them down to 1" at the ends with 1 1/4" of galv. electrical conduit on the end a 3/8" hanger bolt turned in with no more than 3/4" of the bolt end sticking out. You really don't want to be any heavier than this if you are poling for any length of time.
As far as snapping the end off... any pole will snap of if you trap it and don't drop it. Just take one good yank and let it go and go back for it if it doesn't float free.
My 2 cents.
Steve

Steve. That's quite the pole collection! Do all of your wooden poles have the same electrical conduit + bolted end.

At the risk of sounding weird, I'd like to see a pic of poles!

I like spruce pole, I use sitka spruce, it's light, stiff, and that is what I have on hand. I'm planning a 2 piece one for next summer. We'll see what I can come up with!!

Hope you'll post some descriptions and pics of your 2 pc sitka pole. I'd be interested in learning how to make one too.

I like a heavy ash pole in deep pushy water. I always carry one heavy and one light pole. Those Peavey poles look good enough. My heavy ash pole is 1-3/8" in the middle and tapers to 1-1/4" at the ends. It's holding up real well. I make end shoes that are essentially the end 6" of a Hayden style aluminum pole. I've been getting pics of my latest build so I can post a thread here about it soon.

Back