• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Thinking of a Slight Site Change

Reaction score
I posted in site info about updates coming soon. This brings into play a question for me anyway about the color of the font. Working in IT I have noticed that many sites have "dimmed" the colors of the fonts they are using which for my aging eyes makes it harder to read. This is not within posts but in the layout of the page. As I'm typing this I'm looking at my avatar and my name is a light colored blue, so that it what I'm talking about as an example. I am wondering if I were to ask the IT guy to look into changing the color of the font to a darker blue or maybe black. How would others feel about that? I may be making a mountain outta a molehill but wanted to get folks thoughts before making that inquiry.

dougd

Last edited:
I'm sure everybody's eyes are different !

I have no trouble with the current color, but I'm not opposed to change either !

Jim

I am not really a big fan of the current MS Office/Windows style layouts that are prevalent these days, the wide open spaces of white, the low contrast fonts the overly simple buttons that can be hard to even see that they are buttons.......

On the other hand, when I see a rare site that hasn't changed it's style from the high contrast 90's they look pretty silly.

I have this forum set on 120% because at 100% much of the text is too small (for me) but at least that is something a user can adjust to their own taste. I really dislike screened text or very fine fonts at least not for the main sections of text (ok for things like the date/time or the Quote/Flag/Like stuff.

Since this is not a marketing site I don't think you need to hit people over the head with a lot of dazzle. Here the "dazzle" is in the content and almost all of it is stuff you have to actually read rather than much of the internet which is designed for skimming.

Bottom line, my eyes are old but not terrible, just don't make it any harder to read. That said I personally don't need it "easier" either.

A color change (like, to a darker blue) might be alright, but the color contrast (vs black) is more pleasing and appealing visually.
Brad

I just got off another site responding to an email from my daughter and felt like I was going blind with it's dim contrast. If I hadn't been to the eye doctor about a week ago I'd be calling their office in a panic right about now. So I understand what you are saying. The Canoetrippimg site is fine for me the way it is but I trust you to make any changes you feel might improve the site.

I think that the present layout is fine, although you could bump up the size of the smaller type a couple of points.
Not opposed to changing the layout either. I'm not a fan of the low contrast layouts found on other sites.

Tony

I think all the words should be in yellow font and the background should be pumpkin orange...
just kidding. Your plan sounds fine, a slightly larger font would be nice

I find this site easy enough to read now, but I've also noticed the pattern of dimming on redesign (new NFCT site is awful). That's called "responsive" design -- it's equally unreadable on any device. If you can read this your eyes are great.

The layout of this site isn't troubling to my eyes, however, I am wearing my readers (Cheaters) and after staring at computers all day long I guess I am just used to it.

Back