• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Thermarest Pad for a dollar

Reaction score
I went out "tag sailing" (yardsale or garage sale) with my wife yesterday morning. I had recently come off suspension and I am now on "parole", seems I told my wife one too many times "you don't need that" while we pushed our way past endless junk. She made me stay home for a few Saturdays while she and this guy called Tom Tom drove around listening to Neil Diamond cd's way too loud.

Anyway, yesterday I scored a brand new Therarest "shorty" pad, probably the cheapest one made, but none-the-less a new one for a dollar. I asked if it leaked and the nice lady said it was fine. For a dollar, I took a chance and this morning I checked it. It holds air overnight. Normally, I would put a big smiley face here * but I'm trying to wean myself off of smiley faces these days.

I had a shorty years ago when money was tight and it worked fine for warm weather tripping. This year my old full length Thermarest sprung a leak and I restored to folding it over and just using the foam in it for comfort. Tough on the hips, but after a few nights I got used to it. So, now I will have a new shorty for next years trip. ***

Nice score. I once picked up a MSR Hubba for $5. I figured I could give it to a friend who had a Hubba so as to have spare parts, but it was in almost new condition. Still haven't used it though but it looks nice in my gear room.

I have two old basecamp Thermarests. Big and bulky. If anyone is moving toward thicker and heavier, I am willing to part with them for five apiece. The shipping ia pain so its pickup only..

They don't leak at all. LOL.. I can deliver to Connecticut at some point or places inbetween.

Congratulations on the thermarest score. I like my short pad in the summer or when weight and bulk are of concern. I found a closeout deal on a 36" Pro-Light, it rolls up to the size of a beer can. It fits and stays put in the hammock providing good shoulder to butt, bottom insulation. I also like knowing that should I find myself in a ground-sleeping situation I will have 3-feet of cushioned comfort to get me through the night.

Thank you for the management of the smiley face. I guess they're an accepted forum decorum but one I could live without. Not sure if I would want my wife cavorting with a Neil Diamond fan :-(

Last edited:
I keep buying newer and loftier Thermarests for my princess. She won’t settle for second hand flea market finds, unless we’re talking furniture, pottery, art, quilts, HBC blankets…As for the old thinner Thermarests, well, I get those for my bedroll. Fair.
I’m glad you’ve been “rehabilitated” Robin, that’s good.
It’s none of my business to offer matrimonial advice Robin, but there are options to us dutiful husbands…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7QwTTn3FIk
Just kidding.
Ps When my better half is playing Andrea Bocelli while cooking, I know enough to make myself scarce. It’s a “happy place” kinda thing. Hers is singing with that Italian tenor while doing her thing in the kitchen, mine’s sipping amber nectar in the garden, listening to The Boss on my ipod. Another fair deal.
Take care,
Brad

Back