• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

The Rain Shed

Reaction score
I'm taking up sewing in order to make a variety of different gear so I've been looking for places to source fabric and hardware. Lots of options out there but most seem to specialize. Then I came across The Rain Shed and it appears they carry most anything I'll need and then some. Lots of variety from wool to fleece to silnylon and everything in between. Good selection of webbing, cord, snaps, hooks, etc.

Good service on the first order and I just placed my second. I'm getting lots and lots of samples.

Fun to look around if nothing else.

http://www.therainshed.com/

Alan

Thanks for the link Alan, looks good. I've always used Seattle Fabrics. I'll have to try these guys out. Since I've been banned from the sewing machine would you mind if I sent you my plans and material to put together? :)

Seattle Fabrics is not far from my mothers house in Seattle and I go there every time I visit. The types and colors of fabric, the toggles, zippers, buckles, webbing and everything else they have is mind boggling. It takes me 2 hours to get through the store every time. They have hundreds of little drawers with every conceivable shape and size of outdoor equipment hardware. I don't think half of what they have in the store is on their website. I usually walk out of there with at least an extra project that I promptly deliver to the basement storage box when I return home.

In the late 80's, a friend showed me how to sew fleece hats and gloves when were working at a remote winter lodge. That evolved into us making clothing, tents, packs, stuffsacks, and anything else our minds could come up with. Nowadays I mostly just repair gear for myself and friends, repair replace zippers, make a few hats and of course stuff sacks and rain flys. We've had the same old $99 singer sewing machine for 30 years now and somehow it still works after sewing through thick webbing, nylon, zippers and anything else imaginable. We bought a serger, this time the $199 singer, about 20 years ago for sewing polyester fleece garments.

Sewing opens up a new world of customized gear. You can modify anything you own already or just start from scratch. The best thing is that you can copy practically anything you see and improve upon it. There's so many pieces of gear I've had over the years that were improved dramatically just by adding a single buckle in the right spot. The only other similar experience I've had is when I learned how to weld. That opened up a whole new world too.

Mark

http://www.owfinc.com/
Very good service, selection and prices.

+1 there, I have used them a few times, always very helpful over the phone. And when you don't know a specific terminology or exactly what youre talking about, they don't seem to look down their noses at you.

Thanks for the link Alan, I'll have to keep them in mind on the next project
Jason

I've been using and recommending the Rain Shed for over 20 years...great folks, great variety, great quality, and great prices.
Their selection of advanced fabrics first got me interested when I started sewing my own bike shorts. I skied for years wearing an anaorak that I sewed from their fabrics and pattern. Like so many of us here, I really enjoy making quality gear at bargain prices.
I'll have to check out the other vendors mentioned upthread.

Back