• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

The "I blame Mike McCrea" thread.

I actually have another Klepper Kamerad TS that I picked up a couple years ago. I haven't rigged a permanent seat or rudder on it yet, but it paddles well with a single blade sitting on a small plastic kids shower stool.

This hull is a Kamerad W. I haven't done a full comparison, but this boat has a different deck molding, and appears to be a couple inches lower than the TS. I think its a bit lighter also.

It has definitely seen more hard use, with glass repairs, scratches all over the bottom, and at least one coat paint on the bottom.

I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but with the prior hard use I think its in the running as a McCrea tribute boat....

The TS hull is in a lot better shape, and I I have a Klepper sailing rig for it, so I might keep it a bit more original.

I'm a bit surprised that I acquired 2 more decked canoes this spring, but I guess Facebook marketplace's algorithm's are doing a good job tracking me.

Those look an awful lot like kayaks to me..... Here I was considering a Kayak as my next build, didn't know that would result in banishment. What if I'm doing it for my grandson? Is there no sympathy here? Just kidding. this build is going to be a Kipawa.
actually not..Kayaks are worn..They have to fit you like tights.. Canoes are relaxed baggy pants. You sit in them but have less intimacy. Most of them are deep enough to be used with a single blade like my Monarch.

I have a pack canoe and a Monarch..The Monarch is decked and the RapidFire not.. The Rapidfire seat is low enough for a double blade though I have found a kids paddle works for a single. The Monarch has three seat positions and depending on how laden it is I lower or raise the seat. The coaming is kind of a knuckle banger for double blade use.

Old Town Twin Otter Kayak. Plenty of room in this yak.

old-town-twin-otter-l.jpg

I think industry and paddling people have played fast and loose with "definitions" for a number of years. Not sure why, maybe because it disingenuously suits them, but it looks like yaks have hybridized with canoes and stand-up boards to give us "decked canoes" and "sit on top" and "fishing" yaks. I'd call that evolution. Choose your paddle, your boat, and go.

Last edited:
I dont think theres much to be gained from debating adnausium whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. That said, if you turn one of these boats over your looking at a roughly 16'x30" canoe. Bog standard for a solo.

Last edited:
Old Town Twin Otter Kayak. Plenty of room in this yak.

old-town-twin-otter-l.jpg

I think industry and paddling people have played fast and loose with "definitions" for a number of years. Not sure why, maybe because it disingenuously suits them, but it looks like yaks have hybridized with canoes and stand-up boards to give us "decked canoes" and "sit on top" and "fishing" yaks. I'd call that evolution. Choose your paddle, your boat, and go.
Actually I got into kayaking via a Perception Keowee. In 1989 it was marketed as a hybrid canoe and kayak. Way open cockpit and as above a wee deck. The single /double blade kayak/canoe debate has led many a campfire to last way toward daybreak with no consensus

Back