• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

The Dayton (Ohio) Canoe Club.....Last one standing

Mike, I've never seen canoe lockers before. What are their dimensions? How long, wide and deep a canoe can fit? Do people put a rug or something inside to make the sliding easier?

@Glenn…..the lockers are 18’ deep, approximately 3’tall, and maybe 3.5’ wide…in that picture I previously posted of the lockers, the lockers continue beyond the closed doors at the end of the hall and they have a 4th row of lockers. Most people line their locker with either carpet scraps or cardboard….many of them also have a wood roller at the front of the locker to help slide the boat out. I currently have a bell rockstar and a native watercraft U-12 for the wife to paddle in mine.

Mike

I’ve never had a tour. Driven by a few times. My younger days were all about getting away from urbania with my canoe. Now, I might need to see this localish piece of history. How does one get in? Seems like DCC used to send me email.

It's a private club and each member has a key and pass code for 24/7 access. Membership hovers at around 100. Of the 100 members, there are probably 25 or so "active" members. I'll PM you my phone number and you can reach out to me sometime and I'll take you over for a tour. In fact, any members here that find their way to or passing thru the Dayton area, if your interested, contact me and if I am able, I would be happy to give you a tour.

Mike

More information about the eight foot Old Town model at the Dayton Canoe Club is available at the first link below. The second link has the details about the 'war boats' and the third has the story behind the Rushton Indian Girl canoe used by Wilbur Wright which is stored in a museum in Dayton (which was actually built in Canton, New York). The picture shows the canoe locker room. I've never been given any serial numbers for the Carleton models so they may not have been numbered. Fun stuff,

Benson

2020-12-08 from 6-2013.jpg

Last edited:
@Benson Gray
Thank-you very much for the links! Richard Beals, the gentleman that sent you the serial #'s in that request on the WCHA Forum is a long time member and past "Commodore" of the Dayton Canoe Club. I have had some very interesting conversations with him at the club over the past couple of years. The club has kept nearly every document generated since it's inception.....the hard part is finding them.....There is a committee that is in the process of unearthing these documents and scanning them to preserve and catalog them. I joined the WCHA on an individual membership a couple of years ago, I haven't had the time to pour through the WCHA forum much. Fortunately, I am retiring in April and hope to have a lot more time to explore.....

Mike

Back