• Happy Scream Day! 😱

that's me - Michael from Germany

Reaction score
that's me - Michael from Germany

my name is Michael, I'm a bit older and I'm from Germany. For more than 12 years I am active in the bushcraft scene and now I have discovered paddling in an open canoe ...
So I bought an OldTown"canoe last year and am currently in the process of equipping and pimping a little ...
working by hand I am already quite experienced ... and have less problems with it.
My motto: Anyone can buy! But I do not.
and in search of ideas I landed here with you ... Whow! so many great things here to see, read and rebuild.

I hope for a little inspiration

DSCI3104.jpg . P1200236.jpg

P1200322.jpg . P1200323.jpg

P1200326.jpg . P1200328.jpg

DSCI3101.jpg . DSCI3102.jpg . DSCI3106.jpg

Greetings

Michael

I met a Michael from Germany in Yukon Territory a couple decades back. He was canoing the Southern Lakes region.

Michael, willkommen to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

What model Old Town is that, and did you install all those loops under the gunwales?

thank you.

Walking and carrying a heavy backpack is no longer an option for me ... so I have to transport my stuff elsewhere... and there came the desire for a canoe. it is a Old Town Discovery 14.6 ?! ...
and - yes I'm in prozess to fitt it ... with loops, airbags, lashes and so on.
I was searching how to do a "spray deck" for the canoe and on this way in the wild word web I found this great Forum with a lot of "how to do's" !!!
mean while I'll planning to build a kneeling board and after this there is a Plan to build a Paddle like a OtterTail Paddle.

Yes, there are some "dreams" that want to be realized as well

Sorry for my english ... in the las years it is a littel rosty?! ;-)

Last edited:
Welcome! Your English is just fine. Enjoy your new passion…. I got serious about canoeing when I realized that it would be easier to put my gear in a canoe and go downhill rather than carry it on my back and go uphill. Lazy to the core I guess….
Look forward to some reports and pics from Germany!

I was searching how to do a "spray deck" for the canoe an on this way in the wild word web I found this great Forum with a lot of "ho to do's" !!!
If you can, get Cliff Jacobson's "Expedition Canoeing" book. I made my own spray deck based on his design. It's not that difficult (if you got the right material--mine was stiff, which necessitated some novel design changes).

Herzlich willkommen Michael

Da hast Du eine sehr freundliche Community gefunden, die gerne bereit ist, ihr Wissen und ihre Erfahrungen zu teilen.
Ja, der Canadier eignet sich hervorragend um viel Zeug mitzuschleppen, das bei einer Wanderung sicher nicht mitgenommen wird.
Wegen der angeblich unzureichenden Englischkenntnisse brauchst Du dir keine Sorgen zu machen. Meine sind auch etwas eingerostet und sonst gibt es ja noch "Übersetzer" bei google & Co.

Viel Erfolg beim Fitting deines Old Town Discovery.

For those who don't understand German: I wrote a warm welcome and only good things about open canoes and this community!

Welcome Michael, and well done buying and outfitting your canoe.

I enjoyed your pictures, especially the hanging storage photos which feature your barn in the background! I own a Pennsylvania 'German bank barn', and I enjoyed looking at the structure of your barn which has many similarities to my much newer (1800's) barn.

Back