• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Thank you

Reaction score
This is in no way related to paddling except where it concerns our freedom to do so in all parts of the World. If you'll indulge me...

As we ( in Canada) have been rocked recently with the attack on our Parliment Hill, and the trajic death of one of our very own unarmed soldiers, I for one, want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to all our Canadian Soldiers, and our US Military friends. You do make a difference in all of our lives, and it is because of all of you that we have the freedom we enjoy everyday. Thank a service person, law enforcement officer, or someone else that embodies this bravery and courage.

Once again, thank you

I have not served in the military but I would like to respond to your thread. The other day as I heard about the attack at Parliament, my thoughts went out to my Canadian friends on this board. I had thought to start a thread to offer my condolences but then didn't know the words to say. I still don't. It is sad that there is evil like this in this world. When a senseless thing like this happens it just hurts in many many ways. Just know that there are people around the world that care and share your country's pain. I am grateful that we Americans have good Canadian neighbors to the north. Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. You did have the words. You just said them and I really appreciate it.

My daughter is a private in the reserves, and this hits home. It could have easily been her. She has trained with the young man who was killed.

Thanks for hearing me out.

This has hit close to home. Our niece is a medic in the reserves serving alongside the Argyle Sutherland regiment out of Hamilton. Her parents have spent the weekend with us here, and have relayed her heartbreak and frustration she and her comrades are feeling. Now they are ordered NOT to wear their uniforms while in public unless on active duty. It feels like they've been intimidated, when in fact they're proud and resolute.
Our own son was in the cadets, but did not continue into the Forces. While he was a cadet I came to understand the immense respect, responsibility and values expected from our Cadets and Forces. This cowardly act of terrorism changes none of this. I spent many Remembrance Day services watching my son performing the exact same duty the young Corporal from Hamilton proudly performed, standing guard in ceremony respecting fallen soldiers from years past. Eventually our son went overseas working alongside Canadian, American and UN missions. He narrowly escaped death several times, but didn't escape the horrors of war and terrorism. He returned to us very broken and unrecognizable. With much care, much luck, and much love we got our son back, but it has taken years. Not everyone is so fortunate. We may not agree with where our military are sent, or on which missions, but we can agree that when called upon they serve without question.
This rememberance day will be heavy with sombre thought and reflection...and pride and thankfulness. I'll be wearing my poppy and fighting back tears for parents every bit as proud as I am, but so much less fortunate.
Sorry for the ramble.

That poor soldier what he must have gone through having been so thoroughly trained yet so vulnerable as he was in a ceremonial role. Much like the soldiers at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in VA.
Yes we ought to honor all who have served. But those soldiers in War knew what might happen. Like my hubby back in the Vietnam era. Or Robin. Or cops like my daughter. Or medics like me. We knew what we were signing up for.

It must be horrific to face your end and know that it's not your time but there isn't a darn thing you can do about it. I think of all those on the 9/11 planes. They knew what was coming but weren't prepared to deal with it with the appropriate tools

Back