• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Temptation

Well a pretty strip solo could with a little work and a glass top become a large coffee table. Just have to build a stand and something for the plate glass to rest on.

Plan on having ​a light weight pocket cruiser as soon as I can find around here for when things get too heavy. Just resisted a Bell Morningstar in rx and a Dagger Sojourn in rx. If either of them would have been light weight composite might not have been able to resist. All of a sudden good canoes are going on sale here after about five months of seeing nothing.

Last edited:
Clfcanoe - how about I try to make this harder for you? At some point, you aren't going to want to lift that rx Explorer much. You will need that kev Explorer. Myself - if I ever run across a Blue Steel Prospector, my faithful rx Prospector will be out the door. :D

That does make it harder for anyone who isn’t Benjamin Button.

With the demise of Royalex I’d be hard pressed to pass on an underpriced RX hull in some model I knew and liked.

But at the same time I stupidly ignored some Charlie Wilson advice years ago. Quoting from memory, that advice was something like “If your back is getting younger and stronger, buy plastic. If not, buy composite”. I do wish I had not passed on a couple of lightweight composite solos.

We have a selection of RX solos and soloized tandems that fit our paddling needs. “Needs”, not desires. More and more I wish my favorite canoes were 20 pounds lighter. The Vermont era RX Explorer is one of them.

Sad to say I had a composite VT era Explorer I re-railed and gave to a friend 20 years ago. That canoe is still going as his battered and abused poling boat and I have an RX Explorer I can barely lift.

Well a pretty strip solo could with a little work and a glass top become a large coffee table. Just have to build a stand and something for the plate glass to rest on.

Plan on having ​a light weight pocket cruiser as soon as I can find around here for when things get too heavy. Just resisted a Bell Morningstar in rx and a Dagger Sojourn in rx. If either of them would have been light weight composite might not have been able to resist. All of a sudden good canoes are going on sale here after about five months of seeing nothing.

You realize that Sojourn is r-lite, right? Something like 43 lbs (I haven't weighed mine). Nice and stiff too.

Hey - I passed up a black/gold Merlin II several years ago and am still kicking myself over it. Thought at the time that I probably had too many boats (IIRC, 3 at the time - LOL!) and that I might not like it. Doh! Learned my lesson. When the like-new Vermont kev Malecite showed up here, I was on that before it could even get listed on CL (my peeps gave me early warning).

No temptation here at the Humble Hovel! None what so ever by golly! Got all the boats I need and I gave up CL. Truth is I'm out of room, no where to store one more hull. Looks like a canoe graveyard in my back 40, a Ranger, a Stowe, a Dagger Caper just piled up with nowhere to go. I've got more boat work to do then I can handle right now. So, I put my fingers in my ears, keep my eyes shut and hum a stupid songs in my head to avoid the Temptation!

Back