• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Ted's solo trip on the Teslin River Yukon August 2013

Reaction score
I loved the trip and took a ridiculous number of photos. My trip report is really really long so, rather than overwhelm everyone, I have it up on my website for those who'd like to click over to it. Hope you enjoy and, warning, the webpage is photo heavy. As I was alone, I spent several days canoeing 80km over 7 - 8 hours just because it was so enjoyable and relaxing. Current speeds anywhere from 6 to 8kph helped a lot with those distances.

http://www.parkerclan.ca/teslin2013.php

I also did some of the Yukon - Labarge to Carmacks - as I wanted to spend a lot of time in 30mile, arguably the most historic part of the river.
This meant re-doing 160km from Hootalinqua to Carmacks but hey, it's still paddling and camping out.

And just to finish the month off, I also canoed the Nesutlin River from the campground to Teslin Village.

So a total of 730km over 18 days with some time between trips in Whitehorse to replenish gear and get rides to the put-ins. (And have a beer or three.)

Wow, 80km in 8 hours is serious travel. Solo lake travel I find with my out of shape aging body if I do 15-20 with 6-10 portages of shortish length, it's a full day. I notice you are on the water very early too. I like the early mornings but usually take time to sip my coffee and soak in the scenery before moving on from camp.

Love the pictures!

That was a great trip Ted, and the historical notes you added to the stunning photos are gems of knowledge. I think I’ll add some Yukon history to my winter reading list. I’ve visited your paddling site before, and am thankful for the welcome mat.
Tripping at those latitudes is a strange new scary world to me, thanks for sharing it.
Brad

Hello Ted: Great report. Fantastic pictures! It was great seeing the remnants from the logging area. I really enjoyed the picture the sunrise with the fog. Thanks for sharing. Take care, Cousin Pete

Thanks for the cudos. Really nice and appreciated.

I wish I could say that the mileage was my doing but I just added a bit (average 3.5kph) to the Teslin current which can be anywhere from 3 to 7kph. On occasion short spurts up to 9kph - the river not me. :)
I'd try to time lunches/breaks at the various historic places but sometimes had lunches in the boat and let the current take me downstream.

And, realistically, when solo lake tripping I canoe 15 to 30 km per day all depending on the number and condition of the portages. Hiking old logging roads or game trails can bring my mileage down to 10km per day.

cheers Ted

Chief problem is stopping.. :) We did the Teslin last year at very high water and the four days to Hootalinqua was covered in very short paddling days. Four hours except the first day..the current out of Johnsons is sluggish and discouraging but at the end..stopping was the problem!

The only other paddling challenge is making sure that you are pointed in the right direction for pix..paddling optional! Ted did you go barhopping in Carmacks?

I enjoyed that TR, pictures of old camps and history to match, very interesting, as is your whole web page. Nice place to visit now and then and learn a thing or two.
Do you have a place where there are more pictures to view?

Hi Robin and thanks for the compliments.
I don't have a place for more photos as yet but I'm working on it at the same time I'm building my Nisutlin trip.
Cheers Ted

How did you get back from Carmacks to Whitehorse? Husky Bus? Supposedly they were going to get a bigger vehicle than the 15 passenger van.

Hi YC,
i used Up North Adventures for shuttling to the put-ins and from the take-outs.
I wanted that solo on all three trips and only wanted to spend one full day in Whitehorse between each river.
A tad costly but the only way I could see to get it done the way that I wanted/needed to get it done.
They were super good to me and will use them again.

Bar hopping in Carmacks - of course! But just for one evening with my buddies from the Yukon River trip
Cheers Ted

Last edited:
Back