• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Tarp Poles?

G

We have, and have had, a variety of tarp poles. Crude DIY stuff, heavy as heck two piece telescoping cheapies and Russian Doll no-shock-cord nesting sets.

Where weight and packed size is not an issue the Kelty adjustable tarp poles are hard to beat. But dang they went and got expensive - $35 for one adjustable tarp pole?

https://www.rei.com/product/845322/rei-co-op-adjustable-tarp-pole-single?CAWELAID=120217890000766144&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320809120&CATCI=pla-454448160902&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_186798|8453220002|none|3674b024-2770-bfc8-c3df-00005cce6367|pla-454448160902&lsft=cm_mmc:pLA_Google_LIA|404_186798|8453220002|none|3674b024-2770-bfc8-c3df-00005cce6367&kclid=3674b024-2770-bfc8-c3df-00005cce6367&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhqCmlKfb2wIVAVmGCh3ivAH3EAQYAyABEgLGWPD_BwE

Those are awesome tarp poles, but I know I did not spend $70 for a pair.

Any alternatives for quality tarp poles folks have found and used?

Specifically sectional and shock corded poles, at least 7 or 8 feet tall when extended, and no more than 3-ish feet long when packed (the three section 8 foot tall Keltys are 28.5 inches long when collapsed). At the right price some of those criteria are negotiable.

Or, if anyone sees a helluva deal on two 8 foot adjustable Kelty poles, please let me know. Those are great tarp poles, just not $70 a pair great.

So far so good.. We have a Nemo Bugout shelter. You'd think that at the price that thing is that poles of the correct size would be included. NOT! We were packing for an Alaska trip and remembered at Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park five years before the mosquitoes had carried off the Thermacell. That wasn't going to happen again.. We had the same sort of sticker shock as we could not find our old trusty wide fat and clunky adjustable tarp pole
So in a hope and a pinch we got these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far so good We've put them up with the tarp about ten times so its a short term review.

Mike, not specifically what you're looking for but they saved our hide during a downpour. Bad placement choice though as you can see in the picture. The water was running down the slope hard. Bothwell introduced me to the concept. Also, you need something to wrap around the bottom handle or it will get chewed up. I have a piece of cordura but I was in a hurry. :)

P7301058https://www.flickr.com/photos/133956285@N05/

We've had good luck with those Kelty poles, they were at that same price you noted, and the heavier of the two offerings. Heavy, durable, nicely made, but not cheap for sure.

I purchased a pair of the shorter 6' poles at REI and the smaller diameter is lighter, cheaper and more flexible.
I went back and because of the price, I purchased just one of the higher poles. I am thinking I can use one tree, and use the pole on the other end. The higher poles are thicker and more rigid, worth the cost of one.
Here is an alternative but they don't give the diameter so I assume they are very flexible. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYOUT-Adju...155983&hash=item2aaaf60990:g:hf4AAOSwEzJbFFQF

I priced out aluminum from onlinemetals.com, thinking I could put together a DIY pair of tarp poles. Then I bought the Kelty poles, with which I am pleased. Yep, it's $70, but I don't think you could make the equivalent for that price. So, unless you are planning to buy a dozen, just fork over the money and know you getting a decent product.

Note: the Kelty poles are "6000-series" aluminum, same as used for aircraft and canoe poles. The ebay, look-alikes, are 7025 aluminum, and onlinemetals doesn't sell that in round tube, so not sure the price v DIY analogy works on those.

Mike, your camping kit must be getting pretty tight. Seam-sealed, prussic knotted, zipper-lubed tight. You are going to be ready to camp!

Campsaver often has poles at good prices. You could try contacting tentpoletechnologies.com direct. They sell all the sizes of Easton tubing. They don't list the adjuster section but may sell them.

I have made carbon poles with tubing I bought from China. If you think aluminum is expensive you should look at that stuff and it will make you feel a little better.

I purchased a pair of the shorter 6' poles at REI and the smaller diameter is lighter, cheaper and more flexible.
I went back and because of the price, I purchased just one of the higher poles. I am thinking I can use one tree, and use the pole on the other end. The higher poles are thicker and more rigid, worth the cost of one.
Here is an alternative but they don't give the diameter so I assume they are very flexible.

I saw those HYOUTs, some offers as low as $35 for a pair. They are thinner diameter, about three quarters of an inch in dia, vs almost an inch on the Keltys.

https://www.amazon.com/HYOUT-Adjust...pID=519kNDMOmJL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

As Chip notes they are 7025 aluminum; they look bendy even in the tarp-set-up photos. I might be able to live with that, but the reviews are comical. Comical because some of these reviews gave the Hyout Poles 4 stars:

the retractable spring loaded nub that holds the adjustable bottom piece got stuck on one of mine within seconds of use.
My first attemped to adjust the length of the stake broke the push putton pin off right into the tube. It fell on the floor and is not possible for me to fix.
Took two of these camping in canada and the spring button/pin that holds the adjustable end broke on one of them on the second day
one of the poles failed on the 2nd use. The spring button that locks the extender in place broke.

I have some spare Mohawk button clips and could replace that apparent failure point, even if I needed to drill out a little for the Mohawk button hole size.

http://www.mohawkpaddles.com/product/button-clip-replacement/

Those replacement button clips have come in shop handy a few times.

At half the price of two Keltys I am tempted to order a pair and see if I can fix the most apparent flaw, but once you have used the real thing it is hard to settle for second best.

I priced out aluminum from onlinemetals.com, thinking I could put together a DIY pair of tarp poles. Then I bought the Kelty poles, with which I am pleased. Yep, it's $70, but I don't think you could make the equivalent for that price. So, unless you are planning to buy a dozen, just fork over the money and know you getting a decent product.

We have two of those 8 foot Keltys. For setting up the Campmor parawing or NRS Riverwing they are a near necessity and have proven very durable in insane winds and pole stress.

The Riverwing came with a funky set of poles; four-piece, thick walled aluminum Russian Doll nesting poles. Not shock corded, which is a pain, but they are only 21 inches long when nested, and can be set up at 36, 52 or fully height 72 inches. 72 inches is not much height at the apex end of a wing that swoops lower in the middle, but those poles live in the Riverwing bag and can be used as side poles when I bring the Keltys for higher apex ends.

Those two Kelty poles live in a long skinny bag originally from a Pacific Action Sail, along with mil-spec stakes, spare line and a golf umbrella.

And more duffer stuff; a golf ball with an eye screw, easier than a rock or piece of wood to tie off to and throw over a limb. Also our spare object ball for All-terrain bocce, and we have played some windbound miniature golf with it.

On glamping trips that whole heavy bag of convenience comes along, but sometimes I take just the poles for one tarp or another, and having a second set of Kelty(ish) poles would be useful. I know I would not have paid $70 or the inflation equivalent years ago; they must have gotten pricier.

Mike, your camping kit must be getting pretty tight. Seam-sealed, prussic knotted, zipper-lubed tight. You are going to be ready to camp!

Some family trips coming up. But mostly, without a boat to work on, stuff to play with in the shop. Gawd knows some of our stuff needed it.

We may have dueling tarps if we do a car camper. The missus new Noahs tarp vs the beloved Tundra Tarp, newly seam sealed.

P6140881 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P6140884 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That is a cheery color combination on dark dreary days.

In the past I have use paint roller extension poles. I would put a tennis ball on the end so as not to wear a hole thru the fabric. Most home improvement stores will carry several lengths and styles.

Mike

Cabelas has some. I purchased these - IK-512285. $13/each. Sectional. Heavy but durable. I wouldn't take them on a moving water trip but for base camping/no portages they work well.

Back