• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Straight shaft carbon paddle?

I know this is an old thread but you might give Werner a call. they and all the retailers I looked at were out of Journeys when I wanted one - gave them a call and they said they would have one for me right away. Super helpful customer service in general.

Osteology, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

This question has come up before. i will give the same answer as always, to check with Gene Newman at GRB for custom carbon paddles at a fair price. i have several bent shaft paddles in various sizes, I have not had need for a straight carbon, but I am sure Gene could make one for you.

I agree - I ended up not getting the Werner and ordered a 6 degree GRB paddle. Only mentioned the ability of Werner to make on demand since the OP specifically mentioned them, and did not want any bend. GRB could likely make a straight but his advertised paddles are either 12 or 6 degree. FWIW, I LOVE my GRB 6 degree paddle (especially for the low price of $195)!

I agree - I ended up not getting the Werner and ordered a 6 degree GRB paddle. Only mentioned the ability of Werner to make on demand since the OP specifically mentioned them, and did not want any bend. GRB could likely make a straight but his advertised paddles are either 12 or 6 degree. FWIW, I LOVE my GRB 6 degree paddle (especially for the low price of $195)!
Just looked at the website; I wonder how the weight compares with my wooden 6 degree paddle. The Werners aren't much lighter.

I just got a Wenonah Black Lite straight shaft.
On sale very cheap.
Very high quality.
A little heavier than some, but that means it's tougher.
T-grip.
Blade shape is very different from their bent shafts.
They charge $50 for oversize shipping, but still a great price.

Last edited:
I just got a Wenonah Black Lite straight shaft.
On sale very cheap.
Very high quality.
A little heavier than some, but that means it's tougher.
T-grip.
Blade shape is very different from their bent shafts.
They charge $50 for oversize shipping, but still a great price.
That is a great price for a Black Lite, however there are a couple of nice wood paddles readily available at the same weight. Seems like all I might gain would be a thinner blade profile? Perhaps there's something in the balance of the carbons that's preferable?

That is a great price for a Black Lite, however there are a couple of nice wood paddles readily available at the same weight. Seems like all I might gain would be a thinner blade profile? Perhaps there's something in the balance of the carbons that's preferable?
This paddle isn't light for a carbon, but seems like it would be pretty hard to find a straight shaft wood paddle that light.
Cliff Jacobson seems to think a fine edge is important. That is one reason I went for it.
I have an old BB Starlight paddle that has been my go-to stern paddle for years. I like the feel and look of wood. It's yet to be seen if I like the Black Lite more, but it does look pretty promising. The price was what put me over the edge.

"This paddle isn't light for a carbon, but seems like it would be pretty hard to find a straight shaft wood paddle that light."

I have a FoxWorx Roka that weighs 18 oz. that I like but I've been looking for another lightweight wooden canoe paddle. So far the only one I've found that's lighter is the Grey Owl Fleetwood that's advertised at 15.5 oz., which is pretty darn light. Haven't ordered one yet but it's on the short list.

Old Mustache Paddles makes a really nice wood bent shaft at 15-17 oz. It’s way nicer than my carbon fiber paddles. Out of 20 some paddles it’s the first one I bought a cover for so it doesn’t get dinged in the truck.

Old Mustache Paddle

Sorry I missed that your looking for a straight shaft.

Barry

"Cliff Jacobson seems to think a fine edge is important."

And I agree! It's one of the features I'm looking for in my next paddle, be it carbon or wood. There are a few paddles I've been introduced to in this thread that I hadn't been aware of... it's all helpful.

Old Mustache Paddles makes a really nice wood bent shaft at 15-17 oz. It’s way nicer than my carbon fiber paddles. Out of 20 some paddles it’s the first one I bought a cover for so it doesn’t get dinged in the truck.

Old Mustache Paddle

Sorry I missed that your looking for a straight shaft.

Barry
Those do look (and sound) like some very sweet paddles.

Actually, I have an old "Sea-1" wooden paddle I got at Hemlock canoes in the 80's; has a 5 or 7 degree bend (don't recall), and I realized towards the end of this past season that most of the time I was preferring it to my straight blade. I think somehow that slight bend helps compensate for an assortment of physical and technique imbalances. gives that Werner a good bit of appeal.

Back