• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Storms

Reaction score
Its no fun being in a canoe when a storm moves in fast. A bit of advice: Its better to plan for a storm and not get one than to figure "Oh, its nice out today."

The story, please, behind that bit of wisdom?

Meopilite, you have the floor ...

MDB and I were just dating, well more than that, but that's another story. We were both 19 years old, camping on Utowana Lake. We had made a day trip to climb Blue Mt, paddling Utowana, Eagle, and Blue Mt lakes first. We stashed the canoe in the bushes, climbed Blue Mt up and down, even had a bite to eat before climbing back in the boat to return to our campsite. We were in my family owned Raddison, known unaffectionately as "The Cork", famous for its lack of speed and its tendency to bob in waves.
As often happens in the ADK's, and lake country in general, a late afternoon thunderstorm was brewing. We knew it was heading right towards us, and we towards it...No amount of effort could propel that "Cork" any faster, considering the wind, waves and our lessening energy levels.
Sure enough, the squall line hit us, complete with multiple lightning strikes and immediate thunder. We made a bee line for the nearest shore, which happened to be a privately owned estate. As we hunkered down under the boat, a hired hand from the estate came in the height of the storm to tell us that we were not welcome there...We reluctantly climbed back in the boat and paddled a short distance, somehow avoiding instantaneous death. After 30 minutes or so, the rain lessened, and the lightning ceased, and we paddled back to our campsite.
That was 40 years ago, we both still remember that day quite well.

Its no fun being in a canoe when a storm moves in fast. A bit of advice: Its better to plan for a storm and not get one than to figure "Oh, its nice out today."

We were lake camping on a family trip, two flat bottomed Old Towns paddled bow backwards with young bowmen.

We paddled across the lake to the opposite shore, which was only a mile or so away, and had a nice afternoon’s hike and explore. Returning from the woods we could see an evil black line of clouds in the far distance. Time to beat feet for camp.

We made it about half way across when it hit. Big wind, waves, stinging rain. Just about at the edge of what we could handle. The scariest part was that my wife and I could not safely manage to hold the same line into the wind, and our boats diverged further and further apart the worse the storm became.

In those conditions I don’t know how much rescue assistance either of us could have provided, but once we were 100 yards apart it didn’t much matter.

The lesson: Don’t try to race an approaching storm across open water.

I paddled lots of stuff when I was younger, that would cause me to go ashore and wait it out today. Basswood Lake at 30 mph comes to mind in the BWCA comes to mind. People need to get over the "I have to get home" and "we have to stay on schedule" mentality. It eliminates a lot of the stress related to paddling. Making a rescue in big waves with loaded boats can be a real mess.

Adjusting the schedule is important also.

The 1st night out last week we had a beautiful evening and a flat windless lake.We made the decision to paddled past our originally planned campsite, because there was a large storm forecasted for the next day. We visited the Trains/Tram on Eagle Lake and pulled into Priestley Point a little after 9 pm.

It made a huge difference.

No Title

We did the same yesterday.. Paddled farther and a little harder. We were supposed to come out today. When you see lots of mare's tails with little underlying cumuli..nothing good will happen.. No radio so no forecast from people, but the sky shouted. Its pouring and windy now.

Attachments

• photo2408.jpg
    photo2408.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
@ Yellowcanoe, sounds like you know your way around the clouds. Can you recommend a good resource for predicting the weather from the clouds? I've learned the major cloud types but not enough about how they work to really forecast anything.

I pay most attention to the wispy cirrus clouds. If they show with a wind shift too wetness is coming within 12 to 24 hours.
I took the Maine Guide course and there was a lot about the weather. But most is just noticing. Part of our course we had to note what clouds we saw and the weather each day in a notebook. Sort of a weather journal

There is one axiom that was on the test I don't agree with. That says from the time you notice clouds lowering till the start of rain will be the length of the rain. Not in my experience! It keeps raining till there is another wind shift. Only then do you hope!

Sturgeon - You'd be surprised at how much you can predict when you begin to watch the weather. Besides cloud formations be aware of the wind; not only speed but also direction. Even if you don't know the direction the wind is coming in from, if there is a major change in direction you can pretty much bet there will also be a change in the weather. Other things to look for are the direction of your campfire's smoke (hanging low vs. going straight up), the visibility of the stars at night, etc. There are lots of other weather clues that can help you at least for the short term but hey, if you're on a trip it matters more to you what's going to happen in the next few hours more than what's coming in a day or so; at least that's my feeling.

Anyway, my guess is you know more of this than you might realize just because you've spent time outdoors. Having a journal to write it down in will give you a great resource for future reference.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Out here is pretty simple, if it is hot during the day you can get thunderstorms late and overnight. If an extended period of hot without rain, then expect some sensational thunderstorms to happen upon you at some point. Anyone can spot thunderheads building, and if you see them either west or east, expect them overhead at some point. On our latest trip, we set up the tarp to protect the gear and hunkered down to wait out a storm that went south, but was throwing a lot of ground lightning. We generally will keep paddling until we see lightning because thunder can be a hundred kilometres away. Once we see it we seek shelter.

Several years ago we had a storm show up in the middle of the night that lasted 3 hours and dumped 2 inches of water, with high winds and enough lightning to run a city for a year. We had to sit up and push up on the tent to drain water that was pooling. That was something. We had chosen to camp on a rock point exposes on 3 sides. I much prefer day time storms I can watch.

Speaking of storms ... about 10 years ago my (then-) wife and I were standing on our deck admiring the miles-high cumulonimbus clouds forming what I thought was about 20 miles to the east. Shortly thereafter we learned that those clouds were the top of a tornado that was wreaking havoc only 5-15 miles away. A few years ago I met someone whose house was hit in that storm. It put a different twist on things to learn that several of her horses were injured and one had to be put down on the spot due to its having lost part of one leg.

I'm amazed that the area I live in, being only a few miles from where that tornado ripped through, has never been hit by one, at least not in well over 100 years. For some reason it feels like living on borrowed time.

My worst storm memories are from around the 50th parallel on the Manitoba-Ontario border. After a long and hot period, sorry YC, I know that a cool down will have its consequences. I have spent many a frightful hour. sometimes on fingertips and toes, in my tent after dark as the weather fronts collided overhead. One bad one the lightning was so constant that after twenty minutes I had to close my eyes for relief. Another memorable one came just as I was ready to have a fish fry away from my camp. I looked up after the fish was filleted and headed back to camp to lash things down with additional lines and straps. My tarp overlapped my tent and I had it set up in storm mode with the sides down low. I was frying my fish when the storm hit. High winds soon had the trees swaying and with the Canadian Shield rock most were not rooted well. The mossy forest floor was in motion as the roots were being put to the test. I held the fry pan so it would not slide off the stove when the floor under the tarp heaved up and down. Everything remained standing for that one. Not so when I was sitting out a May blizzard on WCPP's Murdock Lake. Fortunately I had set up the tent in a cove protected from the wind and far enough out on an open rock that the falling trees could not reach the tent. The wet snow would build on their tops and the wind would snap them off with the sound of a small explosion.

About this taking shelter...when you're out away from buildings, where do you take shelter? In lightning storms, most of my paddling friends want to get on land. At least that prevents sinking. But if the only safe place to be in a storm is in a fully enclosed structure, where do you go? Under trees seems like a bad idea. We are warned not to shelter in caves and under bridges. Is it really more risky to do your best "Lieutenant Dan", shake your fist at the sky, and keep paddling?

I was transitting Moosehead lake when a big storm caught me. Somewhat unusual, because it was early in the morning. I headed for shore, where there was an unoccupied camp. I tried the door on one of the outbuildings and it swung open to reveal the nicest privy I have ever been in. Pine paneled, spacious and complete with double-hung sash windows, it was neat as a pin with a nice collection of reading material and sanitary supplies. After about an hour the storm let up and I left, but not before leaving a note to compliment the owner on the privy and a dollar for using some TP and a handy wipe. I often wonder if the owner began pad locking it after that.

The latest advertising from Environment Canada for summer storms says.. "If thunder roars, go indoors! There is no safe place outdoors". Rather tough to do when out in the wilds and indoors is a tent with alum poles, lol. We tend to stay away from the base of trees, stay on rock if possible and not be the highest thing around. We do get off the water, but that could just be pulling close to shore and waiting it out. There really is no place to hide out there, so keep an eye out and take the best cover you can and hope you aren't getting a tornado. Night storms are the worst since we cannot see what is happening outside.

Back