• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Stemless build

Reaction score
Quick question before I start laying some strips on my first build. I'm going stemless for my first build, so do I still need to shape the stem forms like I would do for a canoe with built in stems?

Your bow and stern stem forms should be tapered like thisIMG_20200331_190019684~2.jpg2022-10-14.jpg
I doubled up the stem form thickness and sanded the edges so the strips would lay flat on the edges.
I this helps.
Roy

Roy is correct !
Here is a link, that shows how I trim the strip ends to get a nice tight fit.
This is the link to my Pearl build. A lot of my methods, but page 2 has photos for cutting strip ends.
Pearl

Yes. As above said, use the stem form (I cut it to the outer edge of the inner stem line) and rasp, sand or otherwise taper it until the strips land (roughly) flat on it.

If you start a thread for your build, we'll likely all follow along and can answer specific questions as you go along. There's a great group of builders here and they're very helpful.

Yes. As above said, use the stem form (I cut it to the outer edge of the inner stem line) and rasp, sand or otherwise taper it until the strips land (roughly) flat on it.

If you start a thread for your build, we'll likely all follow along and can answer specific questions as you go along. There's a great group of builders here and they're very helpful.
Thanks, I will be starting a thread shortly. It's been extremely slow starting out with a few rookie mistakes and getting the shop set up. However, stay tuned

Back