• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

staying logged in

Reaction score
I usually have stayed logged in. The past couple of days I seem to have been logged out. Has something changed or some maintenance? Is there a "stay logged in" switch I inadvertently turned off?

Thanks!

Bill, I haven't changed anything, and this is the first problem of this sort that has been reported.

Two things that could be related. First, there is a "Stay Logged In" checkbox that should be checked when you do log in. Second, you have logged in from about 100 different IP addresses over the past 12 months. I don't know why that is or what you are doing (VPN?), but maybe constantly switching IP addresses has something to do with having a login "stick".

I have no idea about ip addresses but always on my phone, mostly by home wifi which is T-Mobile Home Internet, but sometimes by my cell service, also T-Mobile. I suspect it's the 5G, which seems to make some sites think I'm in metropolitan NYC area.

I have no idea about ip addresses but always on my phone, mostly by home wifi which is T-Mobile Home Internet, but sometimes by my cell service, also T-Mobile. I suspect it's the 5G, which seems to make some sites think I'm in metropolitan NYC area.

BIll, I'm not going to check all 100 IP addresses, but of the 10 or 12 I have checked they all locate at NYC. So, you have an internet provider that is for some reason sending out many different IP addresses from NYC, whereas most people just have one fixed IP address when at home.

I have researched the Xenforo admin forums and they have reported instances, occasionally over the past 10 years, of members not being able to stay logged on. I haven't seen that this has ever been attributed to some identifiable issue within Xenforo. It usually seems to be some issue local to the affected member's computer, browser, or other software.

Maybe you could try seeing if this issue replicates under different browsers.

If anyone else has this problem, please chime in.

I'm guessing the cell based internet results in different IPs. Found this googling:

"Does your IP address change using a mobile phone with data?

Yes. Your cellular carrier will assign a temporary IP address to your device whenever you begin a new data session, or periodically refresh the IP address assigned if your device connects continuously."

Let me add a little background.

As long as your cell phone remains connected to the data network, your IP address should not change. If it did, certain things, like a video call or watching Netflix from a train or car would be essentially impossible. They'd get dropped every time your cellphone connected to a new tower. However, if your phone reconnects (say, it moves through an area of no reception, or you turn it off, or place it in airplane mode), then it will most likely be assigned a new address.

Logging you out is more than likely a security measure. Normally, when you visit a site such as this, your browser will send a cooike, or several, so the site knows who you are. One of, if not the most common way to break into websites, is by fooling your browser into thinking I am canoetripping.net. Your browser will then send me your user cookie(s), which I can then use to impersonate you. (This is why you should always, always, ALWAYS consciously log out of your bank's website when you're done.) If this happened to Glenn, it would be a very, very, Very Bad Thing®. So, when the site sees that your IP address has changed, a red flag gets set, as it might not actually be you, but someone impersonating you. Exactly how and when that happens, and how Xenforo determines when/why to log you out, is probably part of their secret sauce. The settings can be relaxed perhaps (I don't know, I'm not familiar with Xenforo), but that then increases the likelihood that the website will be breached.

I believe what's happening here is one of two things, either:

A) Your cell phone provider has changed something on their end. This might cause your IP address to change more frequently, or to be part of a heretofore unknown to this website network, and this triggers a security breaker.

B) Your browser got updated without your knowledge and some security settings got changed. If this was the case though, other users would likely be reporting the same issue, unless you're using a rather rare browser.

Or if it happened just once, then it's possible your user cookie expired. It lasts for a year on this site.

I don't normally add my technical experience to web forums, but this site is becoming quite the exception to the norm. Normally it just gets ignored but our administrator here is very involved with the community. Glenn, if you'd rather me not add stuff like this to the conversation, just let me know. I don't want to sound pretentious but just add a little bit here and there.

It happened twice in a row, and not again. Hadn't happened until the other day. Thanks for explanation. I won't worry about it.

Glenn, if you'd rather me not add stuff like this to the conversation, just let me know. I don't want to sound pretentious but just add a little bit here and there.

I'm very appreciative if knowledgeable members help out on topics like this. We are in the Features, Help, Solutions and Suggestions forum, and if a member with relevant experience can provide the help or solution, that's terrific. Just like helping each other on a canoe trip.

I am slowly learning more and more about Xenforo to perform admin-side tasks here, but otherwise am very non-technical. Xenforo service will take care of actual code bugs, and our webmaster, Ken Payne, will take care of server problems, but it's often hard to diagnose issues that arise on the user side.

I realize how old this is but im having those same issues, i believe.

For months now, not just sporadically; when i start typing “canoetripping.com” into a search my ipad immediately recognizes where im going and loads after the “a”, no need to finish filling it in. Then when i click on the link it brings me up, logged in and recognizes me, no matter how long between login’s!
However, when i save this link to the ipad and try to pull it up it doe’s not recognize me and i have to log i every time.
If this is an easy fix great, let me know. If it’s something deep and dark, don’t worry about it, i’ll still get here! Nothing’s changed on my end and this just came along months ago and continues.
Thanks

Nothing’s changed on my end
Although you might not have directly changed anything on your end there's a very good chance things are always changing on your end due to software updates. What you describe sounds like an issue on your end.

I've had similar problems over the years. Sometimes clearing the cache or resetting saved passwords does the trick. Sometimes the link I'd been using forever has, for some reason, changed and it's just a matter of resetting it.

Alan

For months now, not just sporadically; when i start typing “canoetripping.com” into a search my ipad immediately recognizes where im going and loads after the “a”, no need to finish filling it in. Then when i click on the link it brings me up, logged in and recognizes me, no matter how long between login’s!
However, when i save this link to the ipad and try to pull it up it doe’s not recognize me and i have to log i every time.

Can't you just bookmark the site in your browser on an iPad?

Back