• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Start 'em young!

G

Kids in boats that is...

My 3 yo niece for her first ride in the Eagle:

581519_10201809122490590_982223689_n.jpg

Everyone in this boat was having a blast their first time in a canoe. They were trying to race us and doing well despite their poor technique... the Eagle is a pretty fast boat... and they really put their backs into it! They would have done a lot better if they could have held a straighter course though...

561588_10201809028728246_358702283_n.jpg

Having extra boats is great. Now my sister, her husband, my mom and uncle 'truck' (shown in the bow, who's name is Charlie but the little one can't say Chuck) all want canoes!

Attachments

• 581519_10201809122490590_982223689_n.jpg
    581519_10201809122490590_982223689_n.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yay! I am old..getting RTD but still can recall our oldest kids first canoe trip in a Grumman. We subjected her to what now would be called child abuse. A Boundary Waters Canoe Area trip. We thought that paddling small lakes would be safer.

44 portages in six days. And she took her fav blankie and dragged it in the mud. It rained every day.

You know Mr. Bird, that bow paddler has pretty good form for a first timer! I think the pronunciation might have been the same as my oldest when she was two trying to say "truck"

They were good students. Everyone got a chance to paddle, even the 3 yo! And everyone kept trying to improve.

'Truck' did well in the bow... when he went to the stern he had some issues... he couldn't quite grasp the J.

My sister's husband, who was in the stern in that picture picked it up really quick... plus he had some power.

Nice shot! That's a shame, but maybe he will be back to it someday.

Those are nice family shots l’oiseau, your niece sure knows how to enjoy her canoe time. Our kids started in aluminum rentals, and loved every minute. Speaking of Uncle “truck”, our first son loved trucks when he was around 4 years old. We took city busses a lot in those days, so he would jump up and down every time he saw his favourite big toy. The only problem was that he pronounced it (loudly) as FRUCK. It sure sounded like he was dropping the f-bomb; thanks goodness he pointed at them as they rumbled by. Bus riders usually figured it out.
Your little hockey player looks like a natural YC, but don’t despair, he just switched sticks!

Hopefully next year she'll take her first trip to the Adirondacks. I have already been egging my sister to go. Her husband is from Central America and gets cold very easily - he is built more for jungle than boreal but I told him to buy a mummy bag for the night :p:D He always complains his head is cold!

Mummy bags can be all wrong for some that toss and turn. Its common practice to wear a wool hat. Our recent trip had temps mostly in the forties even in the day.. Does not matter that the calendar says August.

If anyone is cold put an insulating hat on. He just has to think layering of clothes.

Back