• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Speckled Trout question

Reaction score
Is a Speckled Trout the same as a Brook trout? I'm reading the book "Pack, Paddle and Speckled Trout" and was just wondering if the two are the same.

Ba humbug, potato, patato. No one differentiates up here. I'm sure they must all be "northern" brookies up here, but everyone calls them "specs". I'm not going to believe it till I see the DNA testing!

This is from the Ministry of Natural resources site for Ontario -
Distribution/Habitat:
  • Brook trout (also known as speckled trout) are among the world's most highly-prized gamefish. They are found in much of Ontario from the small brooks of southern Ontario farmland to the larger rivers, ponds and lakes of the north.
  • Water temperature is a key factor in determining brook trout habitat. They need a year-round supply of cold, clear water, as well as plenty of cover from overhanging branches, logs, and rocks. Streams with cool, quiet pools between runs of fast water and rapids are typical habitat, as are clear, cold lakes and beaver ponds.

I thought so, I'm not a fly fisherman so I'll bring some Panter Martins on 4lb test just to try the moving water on the Marshall Lake circuit. Ya never know.

Robin - Tuck a couple of gold & silver bladed Mepps spinners in your box as well. They're still a pretty good lure for a large variety of fish. Just a suggestion based on past success. Take it for what it may be worth!

That's all for now. Take care, good luck with the fishing and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Thanks Snapper, but I have quit using Mepps, they catch fish for sure, but the line twist they create is more trouble than they are worth, imo. I have tried using swivels, but prefer to keep it simple and less stuff at the end of the line, those little PM's work great around here (Northeast) on the trout.

Come to think of it, I'm going to drive 20 hours and I should be concentrating on the walleye. No walleyes around here worth mentioning and the ones I have caught in Canada, tasted excellent. Our trout are mostly hatchery raised and as ho hum on the dinner plate, again, imho.

My plan is cast a few times into a pool at the bottom of a rapid with a Panter Martin, then if no response, quickly change to a jig and black rubber tail for Pickerel. If that fails, a Red and White for Pike!
If that fails, Ramen noodles have always worked in the past.

You should have no trouble eating walleye every night, but not so much luck with trout. That system is pretty much devoid of them. However, your little panther martin will probably pick up a walleye too.

Robin - Thanks for your comment regarding the Panther Martin lures. I do use a small snap swivel with my Mepps but definitely understand your concern. Guess I'll have to put a couple of Panther Martins in my small backcountry tackle box. Any suggestions on size or color?

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

Out this way we use yellow jigs and twisters almost exclusively for pickerel. The water is tea coloured and a yellow twister turns orange under water. The majority of the leeches I've observed have been black and orange so obviously our colour combo makes sense. I added a few Rapala's to my kit for my trip in 2 weeks, new lake and more time to fish, so I can experiment a bit more. No downsizing fishing equipment here, at least 5 pounds of tackle and 3 rods.

Karin

Snapper wrote " Guess I'll have to put a couple of Panther Martins in my small backcountry tackle box. Any suggestions on size or color?"

Here's a picture of my little collection of 7 Panther Martins, plus some Phoebe's and some (4) Mepps. The biggest PM is a #6, it's at the top left by the beginning of the ruler, the smallest are #2's down at the end of the row. I like gold.

Back