• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

​Source for quality rope in bulk?

G

Painter lines and roof rack lines are one place where it is worth spending the extra money on good rope. I’d rather buy 60 or 70 feet of good rope once than keep buying crappy nylon hardware store rope; but dang do I have a box of that crap rope cut to various lengths.

OK, OK, do as I say, not as I do. Or have too often done.

I’ve been buying good rope in piecemeal lengths at BMO, but I still have crap rope on some boats and on one set of roof racks. I probably need at least 100 feet of good quality rope. Meh, looking at some of the older painters lines, maybe 200 feet.

I’d love to have a half roll of good rope available in the shop for boat projects. I’d have to hide it, so I didn’t discover spectra rope cut up and staking out tomato plants or ornamental grasses. ARRGHHGH!

(I hide the Nashua 357 duct tape too, ever since someone used half a roll to tape up a bundle of scrap cardboard).

I’m on a bulk rope search. Good quality, non-stretchy, hand kindly, UV resistant rope. Since it will also bow and stern line, floating rope. And preferably brightly colored; some of the best quality rope I have is, unfortunately, black.

Whadda ya like in rope? I have used some really pricey 3/8 inch spectra stuff on one rack as belly lines, but it seems awkwardly stiff when making a hitch. Some kind of non-stretch/non- absorbent line is preferable for winter paddling, where grabbing a frozen wad of bowline from under the deck bungees kinda sucks.

So, where to buy 100 feet or more? I know that is going to hurt my wallet, but 100 feet of good rope is going to go really fast.

The am steel look great on paper, but I wonder are snaggy the sheet is? It look like the weave is quite "loose" for lack of adequate term.

The problem with Amsteel is that it holds knots poorly, it's very low stretch and the weave it really not snaggy but it's not great with knots. Something with a kernmantle cover would be best, if not more expensive like THIS

That is why I like the Ultraline, decent with knots, not to hard on the hands, bright colour, tough, throw well!

Granted, spectra ropes are stiff at first and have a slick feel to them. Both disappear with use. I have found mine to hold knots very well after some time. The one downside I see is the need to splice the ends as melting them doesn't work. That can be done quickly with some practice.

The thing I"ve done with my spectra lines, is to cut the core a bit shorter than the sheeting, and then melt the sheeting over the core. One other tric is to use shrink tubes, one inch long piece, they do hold there quite well.

Amsteel has no core so you have to splice it back on itself.

I don't think it would be good for painters. Apart from anything else to buy it in a diameter large enough not to cut like cheese wire would be very expensive. Better, if you want something with a spectra or dyneema core would be to buy a kernmantle rope with a fancy core and either a polypropylene outer or, for more abrasion resistance and with a higher temperature rating, a polyester outer. This is better for rescue rigging and I think will still be buoyant which of course is essential for working around water. About the best rope is the stuff used for canyoneering. It is static climbing rope but floats. Very expensive though, but as costly as the rappelling rope used by SWAT/ special forces teams that is also fireproof.

Mostly though you are good with a quality polypropylene braided rope at less than 20% of the cost of a hi-tech braid.

For tying canoes on cars I prefer double braid polyester. I buy mine from a boat chandlers.

These guys in Toronto have a good selection for Canadians but you Americans can likely find better deals. You could probably get a good deal if you bought a spool.

in the USA, I have found my favorite lines either by accident or at boat supply places. West Marine comes to mind for having a large supply on spools but if you know what you want, Defender Industries in Waterford CT, is typically my best shot for rope, hardware, fiberglass supplies, etc. Their website for an independent is very impressive for it's vast selection and low prices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know (kinda knew) what species of rope I would be happiest with in terms of a cost/function compromise.

Kernmantle, so it is hand kindly and ties (and unties) easy knots and hitches.
Polyester, so it is floating, non-stretchy and not a waterlogged block of ice in the winter.
Bi-directional sheath weave, UV resistant so I’m not replacing it every few years.
Brightly colored, so I can see it. There’s a reason throw bag ropes are typically yellow or orange.
3/8”, which works equally well as bow line and rack belly lines for what I do.
Blah, blah, blah. . . .

But what I really want is to find someplace to buy an entire spool (300 feet?) of something like that, at a cost that doesn’t instantly press my frugal Scots button. I know I would use up 100 feet of it PDQ, and probably 200 feet in a year or two.

The quality rope I’ve bought piecemeal at outfitters has run under a buck a foot. Even the ¼” Spectra I’m using as belly lines was 70 cents a foot. Without the retail mark up I might escape at 50 cents a foot buying a full spool. $150 for a 300ft spool would still hurt, but it might be worth it to have a shop spool of good quality rope.

Still haven’t found a spool priced source.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know (kinda knew) what species of rope I would be happiest with in terms of a cost/function compromise.

Kernmantle, so it is hand kindly and ties (and unties) easy knots and hitches.
Polyester, so it is floating, non-stretchy and not a waterlogged block of ice in the winter.
Bi-directional sheath weave, UV resistant so I’m not replacing it every few years.
Brightly colored, so I can see it. There’s a reason throw bag ropes are typically yellow or orange.
3/8”, which works equally well as bow line and rack belly lines for what I do.
Blah, blah, blah. . . .

But what I really want is to find someplace to buy an entire spool (300 feet?) of something like that, at a cost that doesn’t instantly press my frugal Scots button. I know I would use up 100 feet of it PDQ, and probably 200 feet in a year or two.

The quality rope I’ve bought piecemeal at outfitters has run under a buck a foot. Even the ¼” Spectra I’m using as belly lines was 70 cents a foot. Without the retail mark up I might escape at 50 cents a foot buying a full spool. $150 for a 300ft spool would still hurt, but it might be worth it to have a shop spool of good quality rope.

Still haven’t found a spool priced source.

Just to be clear, polyester does not float!

Maybe this stuff or something else from Sterling would fit the bill

http://www.sterlingrope.com/c/rescu...272a505bccc14197d78b3d97cc8&redirected_post=1

The Ultraline I was referring to is a great line, but it is more than 50 cents a foot.... In my neck of the wood it is anyway!

The Ultraline I was referring to is a great line, but it is more than 50 cents a foot.... In my neck of the wood it is anyway!

Probaly overkill for tying a boat on the rack!

A few years ago we tested a throw line that used quarter inch ultraline (or similar) Trying to bag a guy floating through the rapids where we running the test resulted in hands with rope burns and not one of us managed to get the swimmer to shore before he floated over the next drop- quarter inch was just too thin. It would make great lining and tracking ropes though or a compact rope for haul systems.

Probaly overkill for tying a boat on the rack!

A few years ago we tested a throw line that used quarter inch ultraline (or similar) Trying to bag a guy floating through the rapids where we running the test resulted in hands with rope burns and not one of us managed to get the swimmer to shore before he floated over the next drop- quarter inch was just too thin. It would make great lining and tracking ropes though or a compact rope for haul systems.

I use 3/8 in my big bag, and I think 5/16 in my waste bag never had any issues yet and used both a lot( I teach ww canoeing, and swift water rescue) but I can see that the smaller diameter can be a bit thin in the hands.

As for tying boats on roofs, I use NorthWater cam straps, they are cheep, they are good, and I found they put less stress(more footprint) than ropes.

I use 3/8 for bow and stern lines.

Back