• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

​Source for quality rope in bulk?

I prefer 5/16" rope to 3/8" rope as it is still thick enough not to cut into your hands and has plenty of strength for painters. I have had very good luck with BlueWater river rescue ropes and have yet to see one fail. The variety I prefer is their R-3 rope. It is of kernmantle construction with a braided sheath over a stranded core and is 100% polypropylene so it floats very high. It ties well and seems to be quite UV resistant. I have not found it at 50 cents a foot but you can get a 300' spool for under 64 cents/foot and free shipping here:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/7241/BlueWater-Ropes-516-River-Rescue-Rope-BW-R3-300-ft.html

If you sign up for ACK's email list they will send you monthly coupon codes for 15% off one item which would bring the price down to around 54 cents/foot.

I prefer 5/16" rope to 3/8" rope as it is still thick enough not to cut into your hands and has plenty of strength for painters. I have had very good luck with BlueWater river rescue ropes and have yet to see one fail. The variety I prefer is their R-3 rope. It is of kernmantle construction with a braided sheath over a stranded core and is 100% polypropylene so it floats very high. It ties well and seems to be quite UV resistant. I have not found it at 50 cents a foot but you can get a 300' spool for under 64 cents/foot and free shipping here:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/7241/BlueWater-Ropes-516-River-Rescue-Rope-BW-R3-300-ft.html

If you sign up for ACK's email list they will send you monthly coupon codes for 15% off one item which would bring the price down to around 54 cents/foot.

Bless you Pete. I have been wanting a spool of good quality rope for some years now and never quite get around to pulling the trigger. At 54 cents a foot I have no frugal Scots reason not to replace all of the crappy UV degraded lines.

Time to sign up for the e-mail list.

Thanks.

Austin Kayak had a couple of spools of that BW-R3 River Rescue rope left in stock. 300 feet free shipping goes out today, at 54 cents a foot. And I believe every order comes with yet another discount coupon.

I foresee a whole day of cutting and dressing line and replacing aged suspect rope on various roof racks and canoes, something I have been longing to do less piece-meal for several years.

And I look forward to having the remains of the spool in the shop for future projects. Hmmm, where can I hide it so no one cuts it up for garden use?

Not just Austin, but five locations from Houston to San Antonio eh? That might make for a nice road warrior stop and shop next time I’m in Texas

Thanks again Pete, that is exactly what I was looking for.

And I look forward to having the remains of the spool in the shop for future projects. Hmmm, where can I hide it...

That's some nice looking rope you got yourself there, Mike. I don't have a use for 300' but I could use 75'. How about sending part of that roll my way? Jim's probably good for 75' too, he needs a longer tie down rope anyway. I'll even pay you the full price/foot so you can take a 15% markup to make it worth your while. Anyone else want to get in on this deal?

Alan

I don't have a use for 300' but I could use 75'. How about sending part of that roll my way? Jim's probably good for 75' too, he needs a longer tie down rope anyway. I'll even pay you the full price/foot so you can take a 15% markup to make it worth your while. Anyone else want to get in on this deal?

Alan, there are a half dozen boats in the family fleet that need new painter lines, some because the rope is old, cheap and UV degraded, some because it is swim invisible black or dark blue. And some because my usual 15-16 foot bowline, sized for the van or CR-V, is a bit short for where I like to tie my hitches on the truck.

Add to that a few crossbar belly lines that need replacement and I expect to use up half the 300 foot spool in one day sizing and cutting new lines for boats and racks, and having a half-spool of good quality rope in shop stock would be a boon for future projects.

Maybe you Iowa boys (Jim, Rippy, ?) can divvy up a roll. At 54 cents a foot that price seems like a helluva good deal for river rescue rope. I realized that I have some of that Bluewater R3 bought piecemeal from BMO, and it’s good stuff.

If not I’ll have a large bundle of crappy Home Depot poly rope to dispose of, and I have your address.

Put me down for 30', I need to build a better tomato trellis.

Sure thing. Wanna use my roll of Nasha 357 duct tape to wrap up some old cardboard for the dump while you are at it?

I have been meaning to replace some old painters, and the R3 is a great suggestion.

Alan, I will happily order the 300' spool of the 5/8" R3, and divided it up at pro rata cost, and I will cover the minimal cost of shipping to you. Net $47 for 75'. Even better if another regular wants in on 75' same deal. Please let me know. Dave

I have been meaning to replace some old painters, and the R3 is a great suggestion.

Alan, I will happily order the 300' spool of the 5/8" R3, and divided it up at pro rata cost, and I will cover the minimal cost of shipping to you. Net $47 for 75'. Even better if another regular wants in on 75' same deal. Please let me know. Dave

Dave: I really appreciate the offer but I was mostly giving Mike a hard time about his coveted roll of rope disappearing before his very eyes. I'm considering purchasing a full roll for myself but if you're serious and interested I'd be willing to buy 150' of a 300' roll from you. If so send me a PM and we'll figure it out.

Alan

Remember to thank Pete for the link/source and e-mail sign up discount.

Back