• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Sometimes its just nice to be out there

Reaction score
No pics no big TR.. Last week at this time I had just gotten out of the hospital post stent and possible heart attack..And the cardiologist appointment isn't till Tuesday. Was in serious paddling withdrawal but limited to lifting 20 lbs.

Don't know what cardiologist will say but have been walking 3 miles a day ( how boring) biking five. I had to paddle. So hubby and I did paired solo today. Just on a nearby lake. The wind was up..flags stiff in the wind. I probably pulled more than 20 lbs of exertion to get back to the car

But watching a mom loon with her baby.. now teenager size .. was well worth it. Mom was watchful but not interfering.. Soon she will leave her "baby". Baby is testing the environment. It was fascinated by a mooring.. It pecked at it.. (not edible) , pushed it ( not an enemy) and picked stuff off the mooring rope. Baby had no luck trying to tow the rope. Mom just hung around with a "whatever" attitude. Let em try their teenage ways!

Of course no camera.. they were less than a canoe length away.

Sounds like you two were smelling the roses, so to speak. Sounds nice. We smelled some roses this weekend too. The two sons, their SO's and grandkids came for the weekend. Yeah! Played board games, cooked together, ate together, laughed together...The last of the crowd left this morning. Our resident cats were relieved, in more ways than one. One of our felines is really nervous around children. She peed on the comfy kitchen chair. It had to be the comfy one. I shampooed furniture and carpets today while my lovely put her feet up to smell the roses in the yard. Thankfully the comfy chair smells more floral now.
Glad to hear you're mending YC. Aren't you supposed to slow down too?

I've been sleeping and laying around the house like a fattened hog... for some reason after a week out and about I need to recover for a few days. Real food, real sleep, TV and the computer - it;s nice to get away from them but I'm seriously attached to them when they are around.

Really I miss my dog the most though.

I wish I had better paddling and hiking close to home. You should feel lucky you live where you do. It's hard to get motivated to exercise on the same trails or the same lakes and ponds... it becomes as boring as the gym.

But it is good just to be out for whatever reason.

You need a boat slave like my wife has. She rarely has to lift more than 20lbs despite her youthful state. Me, OTOH, I thought I was going to be making a visit to Plattsburgh on the carry up the hill from Fish to Ochre ponds.

Today was a day just to get out here also. Same trip I have done ten or more times this year. Launch is about two miles from the house. Start out just before dawn. Then 45 minutes on a large uninteresting river to the mouth of a good canoeing river the another 30 minutes to a great stream. 15 minutes in the beautiful place then turn around and head back. That is my before Church Sunday mourning paddle. A three hour tour just to get out there. Some times I want to start singing the theme song to Gilligan's Isle other times want to break out into Get me to the Church on time from My Fair Lady. But hey at least its getting "out there" and yes it is worth it. Probably even needed. Today's wild life was a striped owl that buzzed me then landed in a tree near by.

To second Odyssey "Glad to hear you're mending YC. Aren't you supposed to slow down too? " Make the husband take you out in a tandem and let him mostly paddle. Boring I know. But mending boring.

Now, this is for purely selfish reasons, but Yellow Canoe please take care. Just cause you don't hurt doesn't mean you're not in the process of healing. Please give it some time.
It would be a heck of a note to find yourself in a conversation with Saint Peter and be thinking that "now wait a minute, I wasn't done down below!"

The loon story was dandy but you're worrying your friends near and far.

Rob

Hahaha....too cool. Sighhh, yes we need to take it easy, but that sounds like a good day to me. Dont overdo it though eh?

Christy

First, I hope the cardiologist doesn't go too hard on you, YC. Best wishes for a complete recovery! It must both be nice, and a pain in the butt, to have some clinical knowledge of what was going on with your ticker.

Second, you're right...it is just nice to be out there. I just completed a first-ever canoe trip across RI, which was amazing, but I haven't even started to write up any trip report...because I am still enjoying the trip through memories. And I'm starting to get haunted by the memory of the scents of past canoe trips. Time to get back out there again! Fortunately, I have some time coming up in the Adirondacks.

-rs

cardiologist said Tuesday ... go do whatever you want.. !!! Yes paddling, yes away from anything.. I told him of Lake Superior plans and how I was prepared with PLB. His only instructions were to keep meds in a dry box, take them, prescribed nitro just in case, and have fun. He said that my ticker was the least danger to me..there were a hundred other things that could go wrong on the water.

So today we did a hike in the Whites and I found out how Plavix acts when you fall down rocks.. I bloodied my shirt from a small abrasion and looked like a beating victim. Just messy.. no volume lost.

I know that most of the emergency hospital people in coronary care were mostly paddlers and I suspect the cardiologist is too. No one acted nuts when I told them my goals.

Back