• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Solo Tripping is Safer

Good thread Black Fly. One time I was out paddling solo canoes with my buddy and he slumped over in his boat from a diabetic coma. Good thing I was there.

That's odd. Diabetic coma comes on very gradually.. Hypoglycemia quite faster.. He should be attuned to the signs of hypoglycemia should this happen again and he is driving.. Diabetics can and do solo successfully and need no one to save them.. IF they are in tune with their bodies and keep fueled and hydrated.
If they are that brittle perhaps canoeing at all alone is not a good idea for them

Last edited:
I guess we better add "for healthy people" on the end.

Funny. unless you have had a PET scan or an angiogram are you sure you are healthy?
Better stay home. Specifically in the bathroom : the most dangerous room in the house
Beware valsalvaing into bradycardia amd asystole
The old persons version of Ovaltine ia Metamucil
You never know
but seriously is life in a bubble fun?

True, and if old grumpus had gone solo, we wouldn't be talking about this and his pal could have gone into that diabetic coma in a bathroom.

I told my kids not to fret if I bite the big salami while tripping. Better than some more conventional alternatives. It will make for some good talk and pictures at my memorial. It would be a real travesty if I died in a car accident on my way to a put in - better it should be on the way back.:)

Last edited:
I know we are all the centers of our own universe, but part of the draw for me is seeing and feeling nature on her terms. We just ain't that important out there, and that is good.

That's odd. Diabetic coma comes on very gradually.. Hypoglycemia quite faster.. He should be attuned to the signs of hypoglycemia should this happen again and he is driving.. Diabetics can and do solo successfully and need no one to save them.. IF they are in tune with their bodies and keep fueled and hydrated.
If they are that brittle perhaps canoeing at all alone is not a good idea for them

Maybe it was hypoglycemia, I was only aware that he slumped over and unresponsive. I'm not an expert on diabetes but my buddy's situation is pretty bad including multiple amputations and 911 calls.

I fully agree that the risks of true solo paddling are worth it. But as far as safety even last weekend as I was paddling a small river full of downed trees in a remote area (with cold air and water) it seemed pretty clear that a second solo canoe with an experienced paddler would be a safety feature.

I only go solo on flat water and stay close to shore if the water is cold. I stay in camp if the water is rough. I go with others on more adventurous trips.

I agree with "more cautious on solo trips". I portage lll and greater, wear a helmet when on the water, could slip and fall getting into the boat. On solo trips I travel light with almost indestructible plastic WW kayak or Roylex canoe. I also carry rope and carabiners to rescue my boat from a wrap.

It took me over 24 hours to get dirt out of my eye on a solo this year. Wished someone was there. Finally figured out that a platypus water filter bag makes a good eye flush.

Interesting read... I'm going solo this Saturday. 8 miles overnight on the river, and I'm type 1 diabetic, and I don't have cat, and my dog is too much of a spaz to ride in the boat... Wish me luck, lol

I used to backpack alone with my dog a lot. You have to really careful . A solo canoe trip would be okay on a lake or easy river. Moving water requires that you sometimes need help. I have been on some river trips with one other person where we both soloed our canoes. It provides separation during the day on the water. I am planning to go back to it. I am reluctant to do any solo trips on any rivers except the easiest ones around.

Old conversation but a great topic nonetheless. This year alone I have solo canoed and organized a group trip on the Allagash. Although the company I travelled with on the Allagash were some of my favorite people I felt like something was missing from the experience. Paddlers get far ahead and get first glance at the wildlife and upon seeing the wildlife the forest beasts naturally flee after being observed by the lead group. I am always the cook so my opportunities to observe the beauty of the trip is tarnished by ensuring everyone is taken care of. I often get asked about solo canoe trips ....were you scared, isn’t that dangerous and when I think about it, I must agree with the consensus on this thread that I truly feel that solo tripping is more relaxing, safer and ultimately more enjoyable. I must admit, however, sometimes I forget that when you are solo and your chores are done the only thing there really is to do is paddle so I know for sure that I will most likely choose trips that require constant movement and work. I like the hard work and I like the solitude. Solo tripping is my preference for sure.

I have done my share of solo tripping and have no problem with it. Lately though I have enjoyed the advantages of going with a partner (young strong ones). It's nice to have someone along who can carry the boat, collect wood and tend the fire and do some cooking. I prefer to paddle my own boat solo but am willing to go tandem if it makes it easier on me. After every trip with a "new" partner I always ask myself if I would go with them again. Some have been little more than acquaintance that I would go with again and some were best friends that didn't work out as well.

I have done my share of solo tripping and have no problem with it. Lately though I have enjoyed the advantages of going with a partner (young strong ones). It's nice to have someone along who can carry the boat, collect wood and tend the fire and do some cooking. I prefer to paddle my own boat solo but am willing to go tandem if it makes it easier on me. After every trip with a "new" partner I always ask myself if I would go with them again. Some have been little more than acquaintance that I would go with again and some were best friends that didn't work out as well.

Any chance you can loan me a young strong partner so I can experience that dynamic? Then, I'll make up my mind if it's a better way.

Back