• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Solo expedition build

It's all good, Alan just posted another location.

Look at Alan go!

I remember that Alan had expressed some hesitation about using a SPOT, that if the batteries failed or the unit quit for some reason that might be needless cause for concern.

Or even an “I’m OK” from a seemingly strange map location.

I have been looking forward to reading the trip report since the boat was half finished, and the whyfor SPOT signal from Aikens Lake could be revealing; delay in sending from when he launched, tiny island respite to let the dog pee and trim gear, such an easy lake crossing that he was doing chores in the canoe?

Edit: Somehow in watching Alan’s progress via SPOT I can't help but channel a page from a classic Dick and Jane book.

Go Spot go. See Spot go.

Last edited:
I think Alan left a spot signal from the middle of Aikens lake to give a thumbs up on his canoe. That is a deep crater lake and there are no small islands out in the middle, so he is saying that his canoe got him all the way down the Bloodvein and back up that river - and the Gammon, and that he trusts his canoe to get safely accros the middle of the lake. He is almost out of the river at Aikens. Once he is out of the river in Manitoba and back in Ontario, he is essentially successful in fulfilling all of the objectives of this canoe trip. The hard part of going up all of the swifts without a decent portage is now behind Allan.

I think today's spot was to let us know that he made it up the river. I mentioned caution about going against the current in both the Bloodvein and the Gammon because having gone down both rivers, I know what he had to do to get back up. It had to have been quite some effort, which is a testament to Allan and his canoe and outdoor skills. Way to go Allan! I bet he has many stories.

I think Alan left a spot signal from the middle of Aikens lake to give a thumbs up on his canoe. That is a deep crater lake and there are no small islands out in the middle, so he is saying that his canoe got him all the way down the Bloodvein and back up that river - and the Gammon, and that he trusts his canoe to get safely accros the middle of the lake. He is almost out of the river at Aikens. Once he is out of the river in Manitoba and back in Ontario, he is essentially successful in fulfilling all of the objectives of this canoe trip. The hard part of going up all of the swifts without a decent portage is now behind Allan.

I think today's spot was to let us know that he made it up the river. I mentioned caution about going against the current in both the Bloodvein and the Gammon because having gone down both rivers, I know what he had to do to get back up. It had to have been quite some effort, which is a testament to Allan and his canoe and outdoor skills. Way to go Allan! I bet he has many stories.

Good to know some firsthand Aikens information. I looked at some sat photos and on-line topos and didn’t see any wee islands, but I also remember stopping at times on (or in the eddy behind) some small rocky spits that were nowhere on my map.

Eagerly awaiting the stories, including Alan’s post-trip thoughts on tweaks to the hull design.

Aiken's is a massive open body of water 260 feet deep and kicks up in a big way. The fact he apparently crossed right through the middle is curious at the least. There is a 5 star fly in lodge on the lake so perhaps he met a boat out in the middle.

We stopped at Red Lake Outfitters last Tuesday and hoped to see Alan's car there but he had left it at the put in. Harlan mentioned Alan has been in WCPP a couple time previously so he knows the park.

He certainly is making good progress. Personally I would spend more time fishing and absorbing the scenery rather than racing through.

We didn't ask Harlan which entry he used. We had hoped to get a photo of his car in Red Lake. Still managed a visit with Harlan and Red Langford that day, too windy to fish.

He may have put in at Johnson Lake. The next Spot update could be Red Lake.

Mike, I can only hope so. He takes another lap, well lets just say we miss him back home.(-:

Agreed. I am really interested to hear about the trip. I wonder how many other canoes he met on the way. Probably not many on the way back because canoe season is over here except for the hardcore paddlers. Last year at this time I did not see one other canoe all the way from Wallace lake to Donald lake in WCPP, and from there to Wapeskapek on the Gammon.

Spoke with Alan on the phone yesterday shortly after he crossed back into the states. He was in high spirits, reports his dog Sadie did well. Reports lot of averse weather, cold, rain, and wind. I asked about Aikens Lake. The background to this is that Alan has never been comfortable or enjoyed big water, heavy waves. Why I was so surprised when he posted his location on Spot in the middle of such a large lake with 18 MPH gusts at 10:29 in the morning. I envisioned him hitting the button as he and his dog washed overboard so we would know where to place the wreath. When asked he simply laughed and said he just thought it would look cool to post from the center of such a large lake. Also commented that I would not believe some of the heavy water he went through during the trip and that while doing it he had thought, "Dad would never believe I am going through this stuff"

Spoke with Alan on the phone yesterday shortly after he crossed back into the states. He was in high spirits, reports his dog Sadie did well.

Roy, not to sound flippant but I was as concerned for the dog as for Alan.

That is a big undertaking for a canine, and we have had dog health issues on a couple of trips.

Of course I like dogs more than I like most people, so…...

Just arrived home. Eating lunch now (bannock and peanut butter of course).

Me, Sadie, and the boat are all in one piece. Fantastic trip. My dad is lucky I came back, felt like I could have kept going forever.

Funny to see my Aikin's SPOT update caused a bit of a stir. Simply thought it would be more interesting than another pin point along a thin thread of water running through the forest. I was also ahead of my scheduled food drop on Carroll lake and wanted to give Harlan a bit of a heads up that I was getting close and would likely be sending the "resupply" message a few days early.

Will give more details later after I relearn how to run a computer and type.

Alan

Roy, not to sound flippant but I was as concerned for the dog as for Alan.

That is a big undertaking for a canine, and we have had dog health issues on a couple of trips.

Of course I like dogs more than I like most people, so…...

I was concerned also Mike. Last night I dreamed I was cleaning a rental house when Alan pulled up, as usual Sadie beat him in the door and ran up to me all happy and wiggling around, felt so incredibly good to rub her down and put my face into her fur. As good a dog as our family has ever had, and we have had some good ones.

Will give more details later after I relearn how to run a computer and type.

I’m with ya. When I come back from a long blessedly keyboard-free trip my usual hunt and peck has been reduced to nunt and peck. Waait, backspace, “hunt and peck”……dammit, backspace again ….“wait”.

It takes me a couple of days to get the keyboard muscle memory back, and that’s just when I still have some residual wilderness feel and am most jonesing to get started with a trip report.

Alan,
Great to hear that you're back and had a great time!! I didn't realize that your dad was posting too...
Can't wait to hear all about the adventure and see the photos. (there are photos, I hope!)
I suppose it will be pretty tough to get back to the "normal routine".

Back