• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Solitude isn't for everyone

The video above boasts the large size of golden eagles, giving statistics much greater than any North American sources I've seen. Since the golden eagles live many other places around the globe I don't know if they grow larger in these other areas or, as I suspect, they're quoting the weights of birds bred for hunting. They seem to be a popular sporting bird and I'd be surprised if they weren't bred for size and ferocity. I believe most of the many videos showing golden eagles attacking fox, deer, and other large prey were captive eagles trained to hunt. I'd be very surprised if a wild bird would be as reckless as many of these seem to be. Early on in the video they state they're dangerous to humans and they show a golden eagle swooping down to pick up a baby. This is an old video and is not real. If I recall it was created by someone as a college assignment in video editing.

I was moose hunting in Matane Park. I came around a corner and spooked 5 goldens that were feasting on a gut pile. So they do go for carrion

Yes, I didn't mean to say they didn't eat carrion but rather they didn't seem to be so fond of it as bald eagles. I did however state they don't eat much fish but after doing some more reading I've seen other sources saying fish can be a high percentage of their diet.

I don't doubt that any of our Michigan members might have seen a golden eagle. Certainly they do migrate through the area and can be seen there and many other places in the US.

Alan

As far as size goes, bald eagles vary pretty much with some looking huge compared to others. I have also noticed that immature balds often look bigger than adults. I thought it was because their dark heads and tails are more visible against a light sky.

After watching that video I'm more convinced that there was a golden showing up on my lake in Pa. a few years ago.

Back