• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

SOLD Headwaters Canoe 16' Prospector (wood/canvas)

Reaction score
I have a first grade 16 foot Prospector wood canvas canoe built for me by Headwaters Canoe of Wakefield Quebec a few years ago. The canvas is red. The canvas is filled with butyrate which results in a very rugged and light weight covering - stronger and lighter than traditional filler. The canoe has been on two trips and it does have some very small minor canvas tears that can be easily repaired. Also, it has one or two cracks in ribs and a crack in the sheeting in one spot. These cracks do not affect the shape of the canoe and it remains 100% seaworthy. It is otherwise in excellent shape and appears to my eyes like it did the day it came off the mold. The varnish is in excellent condition. Hugh Stewart is the owner of Headwaters and he and his crew build this model on an original Chestnut mold that he owns. This is a 100% accurate reproduction of the original Chestnut Prospector only the build quality is a lot higher than the build quality of the typical Chestnut canoe. If you were to buy this same canoe today it would cost approximately $3,425.00 US at the current very favorable exchange rate. I am asking $2,500.00 U.S. (EDIT 3/29/16 - NOW ASKING $2,000.00 US)

This is a wonderful tripping canoe. I am selling to help finance a trip in the Yukon Territories this summer.

If you have any interest in this canoe let me know and I will snap some pictures. I'm located in Vermont. Happy to drive for delivery within reason. This canoe deserves a home with someone who will use it as a tripping canoe.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Maybe. Depends on where you are.

I need to sell to finance upcoming trip in Yukon. Starting to get desperate!

Hahaha thats funny....can you deliver to Whitehorse...lol

I was asking... Since I'm in the Yukon, if you were driving to get here, then you could have put it on the roof rack and dropped it to my place. I could even offer you a place to stay and a shower!!

I didn't think that many people remember that I would like a WC canoe... And cold handle frying pan....:D

Are the postal rates a lot less inside Canada then mailing US to CA?

I could mail you one this spring if they were. That would be Cold Handle Pan, not Prospector.

Are the postal rates a lot less inside Canada then mailing US to CA?

I could mail you one this spring if they were. That would be Cold Handle Pan, not Prospector.

I don't think it would be that expensive, but it is more expensive to ship inside of Canada that is is to ship inside the USA...

Maybe we could work a deal. Do you have a 6 passenger pick up? Or a van? Could you drive 4 guys with two canoes and two weeks of gear to Mayo and then return to bring us back to Whitehorse?

Truth is we would prefer to drive to Whitehorse but we don't have the time so we are flying. But, if you are serious, there is a guy south of you in BC (I believe) who does gorgeous restorations of old Chestnuts.

Last edited:
Maybe we could work a deal. Do you have a 6 passenger pick up? Or a van? Could you drive 4 guys with two canoes and two weeks of gear to Mayo and then return to bring us back to Whitehorse?

Truth is we would prefer to drive to Whitehorse but we don't have the time so we are flying. But, if you are serious, there is a guy south of you in BC (I believe) who does gorgeous restorations of old Chestnuts.

Give me your dates! I have a 3/4 ton dodge ram diesel crew cab log box... I can fit 3 canoes side by side on the rack. Driving to Mayo is not a big deal. but will cost you a lot if you hire one of the local outfit!
Anyway. Give me your dates, might not work, but worth a talk!!

Last edited:
Just sent you a PM. Did you get it? We should probably take this discussion off list? My email is in the PM.

Just so there is no confusion - my canoe is still for sale!

Canotrouge and I are communicating off list about a trip in his neck of the woods (Yukon) this summer. Its not practical to transport this canoe to the Yukon because I will be flying out there commercial, not driving. He has been helping me get a fix on services etc. that are available in Whitehorse.

Last edited:
Back