• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Quetico with a Headwaters Prospector

Reaction score
I really enjoyed this video of a couple of fellas from Quebec tripping in Quetico a 16’ Prospector from Headwaters Canoe and traditional gear.
While the narration is in French, the photography and atmosphere is very entertaining if you like wc canoes and traditional travel.
I especially liked how they built a bark cover over their fire during a heavy rain event, very clever.

Last edited:
Je ne parle pas yadda yadda, but I also enjoyed the video. Thanks for the pointer. It's interesting that youtube's deeply smarty pants recommendation algorithm never suggested that channel to me. They must think language matters more than it really does.

Tres bon. I studied French for 7 years but was terrible at it. Spanish learned on the street is much easier.
This is the language of the old canoe trails and these guys have shown us the traditional way. It is outstanding. Old ways are the best ways.

I have only paddled the BWCA once in 1985. We were on the US/Canada border much of the time. We were calling each other Jacques and Philip by the second day wearing toques and traditional gear. We perfected the art of Draggage by using connecting streams between some of the lakes. Hauling over beaver dams (Le Castor) was preferable to all of that portaging.

I had a friend RIP that was a forester from U of Michigan. He graduated in 1938, and did a 3 week canoe trip in northern MN when it was just Superior National Forest. His outfitter at that time was Sig Olsen. He told stories of finding caches left by French trappers. Metal cookie boxes with fish hooks, tobacco, trade beads, flint and steel, sinew, and babiche. They looked at them and put them back. Here is to the memory of Al Mundt. He taught cross country skiing until he was 85.

Back