• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

So, what old item do you still use?

G

I use a Coleman Peak stove. I've read about the various lighter, newer stoves and their various pros and cons, but I just can't justify buying another. My Peak is sturdy, reliable, and hot. It's also twenty-some years old. I like old stuff. I even still ride the bike I bought 44 years ago.

My bush knive is about 25 years old ... still going strong. I also have the same filet knive I have had since I was 16 ... that is a lot of fish and deer being processed, let me tell ya. I would feel funny not taking that stuff with me.

Hey Farmer, this is a chance for post number two buddy ... how about your stove?

Bob.

The oldest piece of gear i use on a regular basis is a Wittnauer watch-case compass from the 40s. I just like it.
I have a brass cigarette lighter from sometime back around then as well.
I have several un-dated pieces of steel that i like as well, to include a Western L-66 knife and a Norlund axe.
I have a 70s-era NATO/Bundeswehr canvas pack that is my dayhike/hunting pack, and a German mess kit that i like for day hikes.
I have a Coleman 2-burner camp stove and 2 lanterns that probably date into the 70s or 80s.
My recurve bow is a Bear Grizzley from the mid-70s.
All of these are things i've acquired in the last 5-10 years or so.

The oldest piece of gear I still have from childhood/scouting is a Silva compass. I had my old mess kit, yucca pack, and a screwtop match safe, but i sold them at a garage sale in 2007. Never used them, but i probably gave them away too cheaply. I still have my childhood Zebco 202 rod and reel, but don't use them. I do have fishing lures though, from back then, that i still use.

I have several of my childhood pocket knives, but they don't go out of the house anymore... i'd be crushed if i lost one of them, especially the Camillus Barlow.

I also have a thermarest mat and a Coleman model single burner stove from 1992 (my daughter still uses the mat.)

I had a pair of wool longjohns (they were my dads before i 'stole' them when i left home in 1982. he was issued them in the navy in 1958). I retired them this year, finally worn out after 54 years of service). Now that i think about that, i also have a couple army surplus wool goods (field pants and field shirt) that could be as old.

The oldest piece of gear i use on a regular basis is a Wittnauer watch-case compass from the 40s. I just like it.
I have a brass cigarette lighter from sometime back around then as well.
I have several un-dated pieces of steel that i like as well, to include a Western L-66 knife and a Norlund axe.
I have a 70s-era NATO/Bundeswehr canvas pack that is my dayhike/hunting pack, and a German mess kit that i like for day hikes.
I have a Coleman 2-burner camp stove and 2 lanterns that probably date into the 70s or 80s.
My recurve bow is a Bear Grizzley from the mid-70s.
All of these are things i've acquired in the last 5-10 years or so.

The oldest piece of gear I still have from childhood/scouting is a Silva compass. I had my old mess kit, yucca pack, and a screwtop match safe, but i sold them at a garage sale in 2007. Never used them, but i probably gave them away too cheaply. I still have my childhood Zebco 202 rod and reel, but don't use them. I do have fishing lures though, from back then, that i still use.

I have several of my childhood pocket knives, but they don't go out of the house anymore... i'd be crushed if i lost one of them, especially the Camillus Barlow.

I also have a thermarest mat and a Coleman model single burner stove from 1992 (my daughter still uses the mat.)

I had a pair of wool longjohns (they were my dads before i 'stole' them when i left home in 1982. he was issued them in the navy in 1958). I retired them this year, finally worn out after 54 years of service). Now that i think about that, i also have a couple army surplus wool goods (field pants and field shirt) that could be as old.

Wow, Seeker, running into you in the woods would be like running in someone who's been living/lost in the woods for 40 years.

Oldest piece that still gets used consistently would be my Indian Canoe Brand paddle. I have had many paddles since, but I always go back to this one. I have a french made candle lantern that I am afraid of losing/breaking. Will probably put it to use when my dad visits this summer. I don't know how many more canoe trips I have with him. The lantern was his, I remember it as a little kid on every camping trip we went on.

My Silva compass from boy scouts 40+ years ago. I was going to buy a new Silva a few years ago till I looked at them and realized my old one seemed better made.

Wow! Seeker that list brings tears to my eyes remembering "the good old days." I had a Zebco 202 and the dream was to upgrade to the "404" someday.

A warning: The sniffers are so sensitive at the border checks now that packing some of the old luminous dial compasses will have the bells going off and your trip delayed while it is checked out.

Well Bob B., you asked for it so here it is #2. I have an old MSR stove that I bought in the very early seventies. I got it shortly after I got Joan. Both are very dear to my heart. As you know, they are both really hot! Farmer

I have an old #2 Duluth Pack That I use for day trips. I got it in 1960 for Christmas. I also have my Tubbs wood and leather showshoes from Christmas 1959. Both are in good working order and are all original except for the bindings on the snowshoes. I had to replace them in the 80's. I also have, but don't use a Buck pocket knife that my grandfather carried for years and I inherited when he passed away in 1960.

Recent purchase of old equipment. Coleman single burner, purchased from Ebay in fall 2011 and now goes on all trips. Manufacture date on the bottom of the tank is 1949. It is a little persnickety but if you don't fill the tank all the way, it works dandy. It is a wee bit heavy, but fits perfectly in the bottom of a bucket, which we adopted last season and works like a charm.

Oh, old canoes too.

Craig, great post buddy. Can you post a pick of that flame thrower of yours?

Looking forward to seeing you at 'Copia. Let's get dinner on Friday or Sat or both.

Bob.

Wow, Seeker, running into you in the woods would be like running in someone who's been living/lost in the woods for 40 years.

well, i don't carry all of it all the time! but i do like how some of the old stuff feels and works... can't beat them.

Cold handle frying pans

Cold handle frying pans

I use these all the time, even here at home to fry up onions in butter outside when cooking venison over the gas grill all winter.
They are called "Cold Handle Frying Pans", I always bring one canoe camping, great for frying some pancakes or kielbassa, eggs or whatever. These two need to be re-seasoned, but with oil or butter, they do a good job, light weight and never really wear out like modern surfaces. The one on the top is a true "cold handle #43", the one on the bottom is an "Acme cold handle", both work good. That handle does stay cold if not put over the fire, no matter how hot the pan gets. Always try to get one with that little pouring curl on the top edge of the side. (my friend Dennis from Salem, NY tolded me about these and he is a real expert on cooking and care of Cold Handles).

DSC00926_zps6d221f8b.jpg

And, They are pretty good for frying up a mess of fish on the solo trail in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada
Copy4ofDSC04162_zpsf95ce33b.jpg

PeakStove and Aluminium coffee pot

PeakStove and Aluminium coffee pot

I like my peak stove with the carrying case shown here and the old cheap aluminium coffee pot. The pot doesn't make the best coffee in my opinion, but I'm so pumped up to be out there canoe tripping that I don't think I even notice, I'm good for a pot every morning. That little curved handle is great for hanging the pot over the fire.
Copy2ofDSC00930_zpsfabe2f14.jpg

Old Chestnut Canoe Company Paddles

Old Chestnut Canoe Company Paddles

My favorite brand of wood canvas canoe is the old Chestnut Canoe company, long gone. They didn't build the prettiest canoes, but they built the best trippers, even their pleasure (cottage) canoes where (and are today) some of the best all around canoes to be found for tripping.
The company also made snowshoes and paddles, and a few years ago I bought an old Chestnut Bobs Special in Halifax and the guy thru in these paddles.
They are hard to find and are expensive from what I have seen, so I restored them and use them alot around home. (always while paddling a Chestnut) I think they are maple, not very light, but I use ash beavertails so weight has never been that big a deal to me.
DSC00925_zps10d9b334.jpg

Stonebridge Lantern

Stonebridge Lantern

I like this lantern for trips without many portages, it's nice inside the tent, especially a canvas wall tent when winter camping. It folds up flat and is easy to stuff in a pack or box. Made in India, they became popular in WWI from what I have read.

DSC00932_zps03d3edcb.jpg

Kephart and Miller both talked about the folding Stonebridge, and i like your old paddles. My uncle has a pair of ancient spruce ones that i think came with his 1944 OT canoe. I've seen those 'cold handle' pans somewhere too.

Well Robin, I have been thinking of some light source for my tent, I guess you decided me. Garrett and Wade still have some but (gulp!) 50$ with shipping. Maybe I'll get it all tarnished and my wife will think I had it all along.
Can't find a source for your cold handle fry pans; Ben's Backwoods has a steel fry pan but it looks thicker. Probably would work though.
Best Wishes, Rob

Back