• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Silky Saws

Reaction score
I'd been intrigued by the Silky Saws so I bought one before my 30 day trip this summer and have been very happy with it. I got the Gomboy 240, which has a 240mm/10 inch blade. It's all metal with a comfortable rubber grip and opens and closes like a pocket knife; which made it very nice to carry and use.

http://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding-...s=silky+gomboy

It's relatively small size and compactness made it handy for light clearing of the portage trails I was traveling. It lived in the top pocket of my gear pack; which was the first pack across the portage trails. If a trail needed some clearing I'd remove it from the pack and then put it in my pocket for the rest of the portage. That way I didn't have to stop and take off the pack each time I needed it and it left my hands free while walking.

Or if I could walk the trail with the pack but knew there were trees that would hang up the canoe I'd just drop the pack at the other side and clear trail as I walked back for my canoe. Then back in my pocket for the canoe carry.

Seemed comfortable to use and I was happy with the cutting speed. My only comparison is with a Sven saw I've had for years. I liked not having the upper frame limit the depth of cut and although the Sven saw goes together quickly it sure was nice to just flick the Silky open and shut. The handle is long enough to use two hands and I did a few times when cutting bigger trees.The Silky saw was much more comfortable to hold and use than the Sven.

It has two 'open' positions. One, as you would expect, has the blade straight out from the handle. The other position lets the blade open just a little farther. This keeps your knuckles out of the dirt when cutting something on the ground or maybe from hitting another branch that's in the way. I made use of that feature a couple times and while I don't think it's a must have it was nice.

One thing you need to be careful of is not binding and breaking the blade. These saws cut on the pull stroke, which is opposite of most saws we use. Since it cuts on the pull stroke the blade doesn't have to be as thick and strong. Not a problem until you're going to town on a branch and the blade binds as you push it forward. I never did break a blade on the trip but I probably came close. It would usually bind when I'd take a long stroke back so that the tip was almost out of the wood before I pushed it back forward. If I kept the strokes a little shorter it wasn't a problem. I did carry a spare blade with me.

Alan

Last edited:
Nice review Alan. I bought a cheapy folding saw with a 7" blade several years ago. It was OK but my primary use was cutting up dry firewood . With wood around 3"- 4" the blade was seeming small and inefficient so I bought a folding bow saw so I could get er done with two hands. There have been times since on trips where a folding saw would be handier and I though about throwing "Shortie" back in the pack, but maybe "Shortie" will be replaced by "Silky" and his 9 1/2" blade. Thanks for feeding my GAS, hope to do the same for you this winter, only I hope it's something more expensive. Dave

Wow, just checked around and the price in your link was way cheaper, so I made my compulsive purchase of the day.

I've been eyeing those Silkys for awhile now. Looks nice and compact with good cutting. I have a cheapo pruning saw predecessor. (Coghlan?) It's plastic and flimsy. The blade bends too easily, so it only sees limited use at home, never on a trip. These new age saws look tougher. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for feeding my GAS, hope to do the same for you this winter, only I hope it's something more expensive. Dave

Oh yes, please do. Now that Glenn doesn't seem to be around anymore I think we'll all need to chip in to fill that void. I don't think there was anyone better at getting other people to spend their money.

Hope you enjoy your new saw!

Alan

Thanks for the link Alan, I've had my eyes on those saws for a couple of years and at that price its mine.

A funny side affect of GAS (gear acquirement syndrome) happens on my solo trips. When I use the item that I bought as a result on some one on this site, I think of them and many times thank them out loud for shedding light on said particular item. It's like you are there with me. And yes, I do talk to myself out loud on solo trips. Dave

Nothing wrong with talking to yourself Rippy. I do it all the time, and I've never lost an argument.

I did the same thing, switch from the Sven to the Silky to reduce weight and space slightly, but more for the convenience of keeping it on my belt or in my pocket while bush whacking. Almost bent it as well, but so far I'm happy with it.

Nice review. I have a Silky PocketBoy, which is about 8" long... perfect for hunting (limb trimming from the tree stand), portage trail work, and really light trips when a full sized take-down bucksaw is too much. The teeth are about as aggressive as they get, kinda like those on a Swiss Army Knife, only longer. Makes short work of anything I've touched with it, to include turning hardwood (blackjack oak in this case) into firewood. It's a little bit heavier than the similar sized Bahco Laplander, but works better. The only complaint I've ever heard about Silky is that the blades are kinda hard, and if you're not careful, you can break a blade easily (due to the teeth being so aggressive and gaps between them being fairly deep.) Well worth the cost.

I purchased the big boy 2000. 14 inch blade, cuts like no other. Puts my 24" Trailblazer to shame. On larger logs you do get tired though. I think it's probably conditioning on my part. My whole life I always had a buck saw, different muscles all together. Here's a link to me running through a large chunk of hard seasoned maple.

https://youtu.be/D21S7q17IyQ

Compared to the 24 " Trailblazer. Sorry for the boring video though. Not much of a youtuber, just posted these so I could show my brother, who lives about 6 hours north of me, the difference. And maybe some self justification of my own GAS. Hahahaha

https://youtu.be/-U6RbFBqWmE

Those looked like a workout, especially the Trailblazer. Interesting comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Alan

We have the Silky PocketBoy and it works great for light summer maintenance and typical campsite sawing. Love how lightweight it is, but I agree that it's kind of weird to get used to the pull instead of push action. We just upgraded to a folding bucksaw for heavier duty work and winter camping (https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/bob-dustrude-folding-buck-saw.html) where we must process a lot more firewood, and it's worth the (3x more expensive) price. Like a hot knife through butter.

We have the Silky PocketBoy and it works great for light summer maintenance and typical campsite sawing. Love how lightweight it is, but I agree that it's kind of weird to get used to the pull instead of push action. We just upgraded to a folding bucksaw for heavier duty work and winter camping (https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/bob-dustrude-folding-buck-saw.html) where we must process a lot more firewood, and it's worth the (3x more expensive) price. Like a hot knife through butter.

Great saw, I really like mine, but the blade can use a bit more set, it makes a big difference!!

Sweeper - I noticed the link you posted takes you to the saw with the medium toothed blade instead of the larger teeth. I'm wondering if that is why it's $5.00 cheaper. I really have no idea what the difference is between the two blades but my guess is there's something that makes one more expensive than the other. Just guessing here...

Tear_Knee - I also have that saw and have been using it for a few years. I think you'll be happy with it. We use it a lot for the trail work I do with our outdoor program and so far it's stood up to anything the students have dished out. I figure that says a lot that's positive about the saw and the blade. Enjoy it!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Last edited:
Sweeper - I noticed the link you posted takes you to the saw with the medium toothed blade instead of the larger teeth. I'm wondering if that is why it's $5.00 cheaper. I really have no idea what the difference is between the two blades but my guess is there's something that makes one more expensive than the other.

It's also shorter than the one I linked to in the original post. There are a lot of different lengths and tooth sizes available.

Alan

Back