• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Show me your Storage rack.

Reaction score
Time to build something more substantial to store my canoes. Would like to see what others have for long-term multiple canoe storage.

No Title

This is what I built last year. the space between canoes is a bit big, but it work great!!

Attachments

• photo1752.jpg
    photo1752.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 0
Although currently only a single level, I plan to put one below and one above this canoe. I used 2x8s and a stout hinge and mounted to the 4x6s in the pole barn. This way they can fold out of the way if I need the room. The are made so that they can only fold out to 90º and a turnbuckle holds them in place. The photos make more sense than my words I'm sure.

canoe%2Brack%2B1%2B%25281%2Bof%2B1%2529.jpg

canoe%2Brack%2B%25281%2Bof%2B4%2529.jpg

canoe%2Brack%2B%25284%2Bof%2B4%2529.jpg

canoe%2Brack%2B%25283%2Bof%2B4%2529.jpg

I took 2 2x4x8 and nailed them to the wall vertically about 8 feet apart. Drill 1" holes in the studs every 1.5-2 feet up the wall. Insert 3/4" galvanized EMT (about 2.5 ft long) Cover the EMT with pool noodles and you're done. Less than $40 bucks for 4 or 5 canoes worth of storage.

We have one wall mount and one free standing rack for 7-8 boats. Presently the upper most on the free standing is used for longer boat bits like keels, the soaking eave-trough, the floor rack for the Morris, etc. Today was reorganizing the boat house, moved the one rack to the end wall to free up space in the middle. The building is about 65 years old and might one day just fall down considering the amount of rot in the studs and the floor floods every spring. The building is 20 x 30 with 10 feet to the roof, not insulated and snow blows in through cracks all winter but the roof doesn't leak.

The shorter boats will go on the end rack, longer on the wall rack. On the back of the short boat rack is a shelf where we stand up all our wood, the cedar especially but every bit of specialty wood resides there.

The Canadian and Penobscot will go in the empty spots later. Still organizing the rest of the space. Too much crap in there!

Back