• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Should I use a primer?

Reaction score
Going to be painting my fiberglass Northern Lights solo at some point and wanted opinions by people who've done it. I've read that a lot of people don't bother with primer, and this is the direction im leaning. The original paint color is burgundy, and after I sand the patches down I'm going to treat it with Flood Penetrol to bring the luster back in the old paint, then clean with acetone and repaint. Thoughts?

I'd leave out the Penetrol, it might cause the paint to not bond well (I'm not sure what it is but since you're going to be painting over it why apply it? The luster should be there in the new paint. And never used a primer on fiberglass.

If you're trying to match the color I wouldn't prime. I agree with skipping the penatrol.

Yeah, skip the Penatrol.

The issue with a primer is that, unless it is the same color as the hull or the paint coat, it will show poorly when the paint layer gets scratched through.

Yeah, skip the Penatrol.

The issue with a primer is that, unless it is the same color as the hull or the paint coat, it will show poorly when the paint layer gets scratched through.

I'm not a pro, but a guy I regularly do some work with who is a union painter tints his primer the same as, or close, to the color of the paint. Granted we ain't painting boats, but paint is paint... right? (Sort of) anyways, if you're painting over old paint, the sanding should be sufficient to ensure a good bond, primer shouldn't be needed, unless you're changing to a lighter color anyways.

reread... are you planning on painting only the patches? I guess that's why you were going to "bring back the luster" with the penetrol? I would paint the whole boat, it would be nearly impossible to match up the old sun faded color.

Jason

Back