• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Short film about a short Allagash trip. Moose and Northern Lights

YC - I saw that this morning and was thinking of posting it. Looks like you beat me to it! I definitely enjoyed my break watching their trip. It's always nice when you know someone in the videos as well. I think it helps a person to relate even more to what's being shown; of course, that may not be the case with you since this is in your backyard (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Exceptional! I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting. It's always fun to see others experience of a trip you've enjoyed and treasure.

I can't help but think that was from 2019. Last year we were going to go down the Allagash but there was no water. I have seen moose but not as many as on the film. Usually they are at Chisholm Brook in the wetlands below Chase. The Northern Lights were something not often seen but it pays to get up at 2 am to pee.

When you take the mileage from Churchill Dam to Michaud Farm its not really very much. About 40 miles. You can extend the trip way longer. They must have been time constrained as they did not get as far as Allagash Falls.
Yes we in Maine are blessed with superb canoeing and reasonable camping fees ( YMMV but for us oldies its wonderful!)

It was fun to watch and remember the times I was in Maine. I have not run the Allagash, but did run the St John. We didn't see as many moose and didn't see the Northern lights (it was cloudy pretty much the whole trip). I did see the Northern lights on another Maine trip (on the drive to run the lower Moose river).

I'd still like to run the Allagash at some point if I don't get too old before I get around to it.

It was fun to watch and remember the times I was in Maine. I have not run the Allagash, but did run the St John. We didn't see as many moose and didn't see the Northern lights (it was cloudy pretty much the whole trip). I did see the Northern lights on another Maine trip (on the drive to run the lower Moose river).

I'd still like to run the Allagash at some point if I don't get too old before I get around to it.

Moose come to the river after the aquatic vegetation starts to grow. When the St John is runnable its just after ice out and the moose are still upland grazing on new maple shoots.

There are a few places on the Allagash to increase your chances of seeing moose, and Chisholm Brk is about as good as it gets. If you hit the backwater there in the early morning or go out for an evening paddle. We saw 8 in there one evening. The second best is the three channels that feed Round Pond and the pond itself.
One of my favorite spots is Sweeney Brk, there's a grassy area on the right that we've seen a female moose in there every time we've been thru there but one. Twice she had a calf.
The easiest ways to see moose is the obvious, be the first on the river that morning which used to be our goal, not so much anymore.
The last place, for early risers, is Musquacook Deadwater. One time we saw 4 just downriver of the Musquacook stream, they like that section of the river.
We've seen very few moose below the falls.
The highest count was 28, but 20 was the average in the first few years, the last few trips we've enjoyed the mornings in camp and haven't seen as many.

Cool !

Thanks for sharing ! Great video work ! The guy knows his way around a camera !

Back