• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Seeking advice on super wide water shoes

Reaction score
A seemingly simple bit of kit, but I have an odd problem... I may be half Sasquatch. I have had zero luck finding anywhere with decent water shoes that will fit those of us with super wide feet. A plain wide is nowhere near enough, I need 4E or 5E. I'm looking for something that also would work well as a hiker for when I get out of the canoe. I seem to only be able to find shoes that go up to a standard "wide."

Good luck.

Even at a mere 3E width, I have trouble finding any purpose-made water shoes that will fit me. My go to solutions currently include (1) sized-up, cheap rubber rain boots (Servus brand) , (2) sandals with Kokatat Launch socks or (3) stretchy neoprene booties.

Let us know if you find anything you like.

I don't have feet that wide, but almost any footwear can serve as a "water shoe" by wearing a neoprene or stretchy fabric waterproof sock underneath it. So, if you can find a sandal, running shoe or hiking boot that is wide enough for your feet, you can use it as a canoe shoe with waterproof socks.

A pair of waterproof socks, such as Sealskinz, are fast to dry overnight and will keep your feet dry even if your shoes/boots stay wet overnight. Two pair are even better, as one pair can dry all day.

You fat footed freaks are in luck. I too suffer from fat feet and found these at Nordstrom’s on line. They are EEEEE. The first pair of shoes that really fit me.

These weren't specifically sold as water shoes but they seem to work and dry relatively quickly. I have gone on a few 4 mile walks in them with no problem except the occasional pebble getting in there. I would use these for wet entries into the boat as well as on the portage trail.
D1A85E85-477A-48A7-8A22-F7C796144BEF.jpeg

Last edited:
You fat footed freaks are in luck. I too suffer from fat feet and found these at Nordstrom’s on line. They are EEEEE. The first pair of shoes that really fit me.

These weren't specifically sold as water shoes but they seem to work and dry relatively quickly. I have gone on a few 4 mile walks in them with no problem except the occasional pebble getting in there. I would use these for wet entries into the boat as well as on the portage trail.
View attachment 132644
I wear a similar sandal/water shoe. The grit/rocks getting between the bands and the feet is an issue but is easily solved by wearing a sock.

Yeah I did get less crap in there with socks on. I would like to pair these with neoprene socks for wading, if I could find a pair that fits. I had a pair back in the eighties that were so tight that I broke a sweat trying to get them on, and then my feet hurt.

Yeah I did get less crap in there with socks on. I would like to pair these with neoprene socks for wading, if I could find a pair that fits. I had a pair back in the eighties that were so tight that I broke a sweat trying to get them on, and then my feet hurt.
I have worn fleece socks. They get wet but dry quickly. In cold weather, the Kokatat Launch Socks with any regular wool sock beneath is a great combo.

For a long time Kathleen and I wore neoprene socks, with larger, inexpensive tennis shoes to protect the socks. The tennis shoes, from China, had to be replaced almost annually. Then they became expensive. Now we wear neoprene socks with water proof sandals. I‘m optimistic that you could find sandals that fit. We’ve been completely satisfied with this approach.

Back