• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Second Machias Lake, Maine -video-

Reaction score
I took advantage of the great weather earlier this week and headed over to eastern Maine for 3 days. The Machias River runs 76 miles from Fifth Machias Lake down to the town of Machias on Maine's coast. It's a great run but the 5 lakes are perfect for those like me looking for something quiet and peaceful.
I stayed at the drive-in site, but there is a more primitive site on the lake you can paddle into. No fees whatsoever.
2nd machias lk 004.JPG2nd machias lk 007.JPG2nd machias lk 021.JPG2nd machias lk 026.JPG

Would need a US Navy Ice Breaker to paddle up here in the interior of Alaska. Need a a yard/meter stick to measure the snow depths. The few warm thawing days we have had has made a strong enough crust that with big snow shoes/long wide skis you can travel wherever you wish, just like the snowshoe hare, lynx and grouse.
Sitting under a big spruce (in what I believe is called a snow well) in the unbelievable bright sunshine brewing up a small pot of tea, is a joyous special part of my late winter early spring days.
Another half a month to go, until I am stringing up one of my bamboo fly rods to cast a fly to a eager feeding Arctic Grayling.

Capturing in video all we go out for…grace, serenity, peace. Thank you, Robin.

Man that rotten ice wont budge!
Went for a bike ride and met 1000 feet of rotten ice and snow which made me get off
My hubby however rode almost through
Now mulling over going to the doctor!🤣did a butt landing

Thanks for that, Robin. Creative camera placements. What's your hat made of? It seems shiny.

Back